Reclining on an airplane? and other flying etiquette

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you recline your seat while flying

• Yes

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 132 51.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 71 27.8%

• Total voters

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Man some people need to take a chill pill. If it took the airlines to show people we are swimming in a sea of selfish morons then idk what to tell them. Most of this stuff never registered on my radar. I'm too busy worrying about trying to fall asleep and relieve the pain of my seat.

Reactions: Stormin

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If I know getting to my connecting flight is going to be close on time, due to gate location change or whatever, I am out of my seat and getting down the aisle. Made it once from row 30 to row 15. Hence the reason for getting an aisle seat all the time.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You really make it hard for people to be sympathetic to your condition. Common courtesy is a dying art.

Common Courtesy would understand that I must recline. I pay for a seat that works for me whatever the passenger decides concerning their seats and their recline choice. I purchase a seat that works for me. Others are purchasing a seat that only works if I sacrifice my comfort. Because they don’t fit in their seat. Blame the airlines. Don’t blame me. Explain why I should suffer for someone too cheap to buy a seat that works for them without my sacrifice.

As far as asking the person behind me if I can recline. It is NOT an option. My seat is upright during takeoff and landing and also during the snack service since no food is served. That is a major portion of the flight. I pay for a seat that works for me.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I figure Stormin is a blast to be around in real life.

Between the Social Security lectures and the I PAID FOR THIS rants, its gotta be a blast...

I am not going to lower my. SS benefit and I will recline. Selfish of you to even ask. I have paid.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I find it a bit amusing that it's mostly tall guys complaining that in this one tiny space (pun intended), the world doesn't cater to them and it's terrible.

FWIW, DH is 6'2 and never has an issue with this. He's not oddly short-legged so IDK how the rest of these guys sit. When it reclines, the top of the seat comes back but the part in front of your legs goes forward, I've watched it.

We have a winner here to this ridiculous argument!!! People act like the whole seat slides back. Its okay to ask someone to put their seat up for meals, or if you need to get out and it is difficult to with the seat back. Very reasonable although I've done both many times just fine with seats in front of me reclined. Other than that, nope.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Had a flight where the woman behind me kicked her shoes off and put her foot on the back of my left armrest between my seat and the wall (I had a window seat). I turned around and said “really.... do you mind” and she replied “yeah, I do mind.” Luckily it was just a quick 25 minute flight, but that’s the worst I’ve had it, other than being stuck in my economy seat on the tarmac for 4 hours, pushed back from the gate and having a 4 hour flight ahead of me.

This is truly rude and a flight attendant should attempt to put a stop to it if alerted, hopefully not barefoot.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Common Courtesy would understand that I must recline. I pay for a seat that works for me whatever the passenger decides concerning their seats and their recline choice. I purchase a seat that works for me. Others are purchasing a seat that only works if I sacrifice my comfort. Because they don’t fit in their seat. Blame the airlines. Don’t blame me. Explain why I should suffer for someone too cheap to buy a seat that works for them without my sacrifice.

As far as asking the person behind me if I can recline. It is NOT an option. My seat is upright during takeoff and landing and also during the snack service since no food is served. That is a major portion of the flight. I pay for a seat that works for me.

You have the right to talk through a movie in a movie theater - you bought the ticket and the theater allows people to talk. Doesn’t mean you should or that it isn’t rude.

Of course you CAN recline your seat, we all know that. The discussion is SHOULD you. And the answer is no.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I had a guy smelling of booze plop down in the middle seat and rest his head on my shoulder and go to sleep. I just let him do it. I'm already in Hades with my knees getting pinched, my elbows tucked tight into my ribs, and my head lolling back over the top of the seat so what's one more little thing.

I do respect @Stormin's take on the matter, and honestly had never really even considered spending the extra money to upgrade on the 2-3 hour flights I'm usually on.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We have a winner here to this ridiculous argument!!! People act like the whole seat slides back. Its okay to ask someone to put their seat up for meals, or if you need to get out and it is difficult to with the seat back. Very reasonable although I've done both many times just fine with seats in front of me reclined. Other than that, nope.

It is impossible to work on a laptop when someone reclines. If you need to recline to sleep, fine. But other than that, why recline? Because 9 times out of 10 it makes the person behind you uncomfortable.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and ISUKyro

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It is impossible to work on a laptop when someone reclines. If you need to recline to sleep, fine. But other than that, why recline? Because 9 times out of 10 it makes the person behind you uncomfortable.

Because I need it for my physical health. If you need area to work on a flight then purchase a seat that allows you to work regardless of those around you. Good grief. So I am supposed to sacrifice my personal health because your employer is too freaking cheap to purchase adequate work space. It is freaking tax deductible. You need it for work. Your employer sucks.

And yes. I try to sleep and relax. I pay for a seat that works for me. You should do the same. Why purchase a seat that doesn’t work for you? Unless you are freaking cheap ass.

And I am traveling to international vacation destinations. Do your work at home. Not on Vacation.

Last edited:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
If the option was no one reclines, or everyone reclines, then I'll take the everyone reclines option. Way more comfortable to be able to recline with someone on front reclining than to stay upright. Upright is awful.

Reactions: Stormin

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I had a guy smelling of booze plop down in the middle seat and rest his head on my shoulder and go to sleep. I just let him do it. I'm already in Hades with my knees getting pinched, my elbows tucked tight into my ribs, and my head lolling back over the top of the seat so what's one more little thing.

I do respect @Stormin's take on the matter, and honestly had never really even considered spending the extra money to upgrade on the 2-3 hour flights I'm usually on.
I always upgrade. Im not 6'4" like you but my chest and shoulders are just as big as yours. Idk how you do normal economy. Hell my favorite thing is to look at flights that are full. They will give you first class for econ plus rates sometimes. Layed flat all the way back from Hawaii in first class doing that. Of course you need to buy one way tickets to achieve that.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
This is truly rude and a flight attendant should attempt to put a stop to it if alerted, hopefully not barefoot.
She was barefoot. Luckily it didn’t stink. She eventually moved it after I called her out for it, but not without attitude first.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
You have the right to talk through a movie in a movie theater - you bought the ticket and the theater allows people to talk. Doesn’t mean you should or that it isn’t rude.

Of course you CAN recline your seat, we all know that. The discussion is SHOULD you. And the answer is no.
Except for the message at the beginning of the movie not to talk, user your phone etc and theaters will often ask you to leave if you are blatant violators. Really bad analogy. It would be more like saying you can't recline in those loungers the theater provides you because the front row is broken.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Tall people should sit in back row of movie theaters so they do not obstruct view for others. Inconsiderate to not do otherwise.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I love people saying I should spend more for a better seat because I'm tall.

First off ass hole, I can barely afford to fly. So when I do, **** those with so much extra money that they think reclining is their god given birth right because they spent extra for that option. Go take yourself up to first class and let the rest way more than what we felt we should to fly in the first place