Vikings fans...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
He was part of my favorite front four ever. Doleman, Keith Millard, Henry Thomas, and Al Noga. They were nightmares for qbs.. I believe that year the defense had something like 70 sacks, which was shy of only the 85 Bears for best ever. He was an absolute beast coming off the edge

Millard could jump the snap better and more often than anybody I ever saw. No defensive lineman in my memory was quicker in that first step.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
That defense was a monster. Recent history is almost a repeat of what happened back then. Wasted a great defense with a middling offense and rotating circus of meh QBs. Kramer and Wilson are two that come to mind.

I worked at a radio station in Humboldt, and we broadcast all the Viking games. They allowed us to send someone to training camp to get recorded quotes to use on the air, and for promos.

Every day after practice in Mankato, some of the players would congregate at a bowling alley across the road for beers. Tommy Kramer was a stone cold drunk.....he'd hook 3 fingers in the handle of a pitcher and drink right out of it. They'd have contests chugging pitchers. Ahmad Rashad was right in there with them.

Those were the days.

Reactions: Cycho1

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Reactions: CYISFLY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm surprised to see Mel Kiper move off of the Vikes taking an OT to now go with A.Winfield 2.0 in the first round.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think a DB is very likely, considering what they are likely to lose.

CB, OL, and DT are the greatest need positions in my opinion.
I'd be content with them solely drafting those positions this year honestly. Maybe grab a QB you like if they slip into the mid-late rounds, same for a LB, but those 3 are where they should be looking.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'd be content with them solely drafting those positions this year honestly. Maybe grab a QB you like if they slip into the mid-late rounds, same for a LB, but those 3 are where they should be looking.

Jake Fromm could be sitting there in the third round or fourth round, as could Anthony Gordon from Washington State. I like both as developmental players.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Jake Fromm could be sitting there in the third round or fourth round, as could Anthony Gordon from Washington State. I like both as developmental players.

If either of these guys, or the kid from Memphis, are there in the fourth the Vikes should take them. They need OL and DBs too badly to go any earlier.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If either of these guys, or the kid from Memphis, are there in the fourth the Vikes should take them. They need OL and DBs too badly to go any earlier.
I know he keeps rising, but I see him as a guy who could slide in the draft. I'd love if the vikes could take a flyer on Jordan Love if he is there in the 3rd or 4th.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know he keeps rising, but I see him as a guy who could slide in the draft. I'd love if the vikes could take a flyer on Jordan Love if he is there in the 3rd or 4th.

I don't think he will. My guess is that as long as he doesn't fall flat on his face at the combine or in predraft workouts he's going to go somewhere between 10 and 40. I'm having a hell of a time pegging him. You can certainly see the athleticism and the arm talent, but it also feels like scouts are trying a little too hard to find the next Mahomes and they're making unfair projections of the kid. He's been linked to the Colts at 13 if he's still on the board. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. There's going to be some premium OL and DL talent still on the board by then and I don't think Ballard can wait another year to address the Colts' front four.

Where the top QBs go is still very much up in the air. So much depends on how free agency shakes out next month. If Brady, Teddy, Rivers, Winston, Cam and the others all have a new address that could shake up the top of the draft quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens in FA we'll have Burrows, Tua, and Herbert gone in the top fifteen. Beyond that it's a mystery.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't think he will. My guess is that as long as he doesn't fall flat on his face at the combine or in predraft workouts he's going to go somewhere between 10 and 40. I'm having a hell of a time pegging him. You can certainly see the athleticism and the arm talent, but it also feels like scouts are trying a little too hard to find the next Mahomes and they're making unfair projections of the kid. He's been linked to the Colts at 13 if he's still on the board. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. There's going to be some premium OL and DL talent still on the board by then and I don't think Ballard can wait another year to address the Colts' front four.

Where the top QBs go is still very much up in the air. So much depends on how free agency shakes out next month. If Brady, Teddy, Rivers, Winston, Cam and the others all have a new address that could shake up the top of the draft quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens in FA we'll have Burrows, Tua, and Herbert gone in the top fifteen. Beyond that it's a mystery.
After I posted that I went and looked where he was pegged regularly in Mocks and he has certainly steadily rose up the boards since I last looked. Most have him late 1st consistently, which is different than when I last looked.

He always had the 'upside' where people were talking if he should get taken that early, but it seems more and more people have come around. If that is the consensus, then it's probably not likely he will slide, but who knows.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I worked at a radio station in Humboldt, and we broadcast all the Viking games. They allowed us to send someone to training camp to get recorded quotes to use on the air, and for promos.

Every day after practice in Mankato, some of the players would congregate at a bowling alley across the road for beers. Tommy Kramer was a stone cold drunk.....he'd hook 3 fingers in the handle of a pitcher and drink right out of it. They'd have contests chugging pitchers. Ahmad Rashad was right in there with them.

Those were the days.
Working as a waitress in college, my wife once spilled a beer on Tommy Kramer. She said he was very nice about it. She also said that he may have been drunk enough that he barely noticed.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
After I posted that I went and looked where he was pegged regularly in Mocks and he has certainly steadily rose up the boards since I last looked. Most have him late 1st consistently, which is different than when I last looked.

He always had the 'upside' where people were talking if he should get taken that early, but it seems more and more people have come around. If that is the consensus, then it's probably not likely he will slide, but who knows.

It's pretty bizarre. You don't usually see this much hype around a guy who barely threw more TDs than INTs at a Mountain West Conference School. I guess there was Josh Allen a couple years ago but even he had better than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's pretty bizarre. You don't usually see this much hype around a guy who barely threw more TDs than INTs at a Mountain West Conference School. I guess there was Josh Allen a couple years ago but even he had better than a 2:1 TD/INT ratio.
Forreal. He was a guy I'd always had in the back of my mind as a person you could possibly pick up because he wouldn't be too flashy, and his season last year wasn't overly spectacular by any means. There always seems to be a few players like this in every draft though, doesn't there?

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Forreal. He was a guy I'd always had in the back of my mind as a person you could possibly pick up because he wouldn't be too flashy, and his season last year wasn't overly spectacular by any means. There always seems to be a few players like this in every draft though, doesn't there?

Yeah, I suppose so. There's probably two good reasons why - for one, it's clear that nobody has cracked the code for evaluating quarterbacks yet. Every year someone misses wildly (sorry, Bears fans) and then there's another guy where you wonder how he fell that far in the first place. And second, there's always a high demand for QBs. You need to have a good one but there are only so many out there, and most teams are smart enough to not let the good ones get away. If you take that second factor out I question whether Love is even a top 50 prospect regardless of position. But since he plays the most important position on the field he's probably going to go in the first round. Pretty huge gamble, but if the team that does draft him is right they're going to look brilliant.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
You just know as soon as nobody was looking Tommy had that shirt in his mouth sucking every last drop out of it.

I grew up a HUGE Tommy Kramer fan. But yeah...dude had issues and when you see him today, no doubt he hasn't aged well.

One of my favorite memories as a kid was the Howard Cossell MNF halftime highlight call of the Hail Mary pass to beat Cleveland to make the playoffs.

"...now we go to Minnesota...it was young Tommy Kramer...out of Rice....to Ahmad Rashaad..."