Expectations for 2020-2021 season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Being as brutally blunt as possible. But I think this is the fastest path to returning to the tournament.

1) Prohm takes another job and we hire a better coach. For awhile I've been saying Craig Smith at Utah State has shown to be a great coach while winning at both USD and Utah State. About a 5% chance this actually happens

2) Griffin transfers. Doesn't seem to be getting better and would probably excel at a level below Big 12 play (Missouri Valley level). No idea where the % is on this

3) Lewis transfers because Prohm obviously doesn't like playing him. His advanced stats are 5th best on the team and he is 10th in minutes played. Seems likely this happens if Prohm stays.

4) Haliburton stays. I actually think him being a top 5 pick helps Iowa State way more in the long run for future recruiting. But him being back in 2020-2021 would be MASSIVE!

If Hali, Griffin and Lewis leave. We land 1 stud pg (kane, shayok level production), a stretch 4 who plays at the Dustin Houge or Melvin Ejim level and another Rasir Bolton equivalent level transfer with the 3 "new" open scholarships.

Obviously I'd love 3 2014 Kane level players to transfer in for 2020-2021 but that isn't possible at all. Don't think it is impossible to get 1 elite transfer (especially a guard to run the show) and 2 other B to B+ level players.

Center in 2020-2021 is locked down with Solo and Conditt ideally splitting that role equally. Solo seems to really excel in the role where he is well rested playing less than 25 minutes/game

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
if we had LW or THT this year......we would still suck. both of those guys were turnover prone, took bad shots, and were horrendous on defense.

prohm is actually getting a break with those guys leaving. we'd be much more angry had one of those guys stayed.

we should break your login for a post so dumb

UNIclonefan

May 1, 2018
There should at least be some new assistants to help Steve with offense and defense. The current staff has shown an inability to evaluate and mold talent. They always seem to lack an identity on offense and defense. If the current product is a sign of things to come, it's time to look at Steve and realize he is not the best option for the Cyclones.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
There should at least be some new assistants to help Steve with offense and defense. The current staff has shown an inability to evaluate and mold talent. They always seem to lack an identity on offense and defense. If the current product is a sign of things to come, it's time to look at Steve and realize he is not the best option for the Cyclones.
Prohm has put together the best combo of offensive and defensive teams at Iowa State in the Ken Pom era.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If one listened to Fran Fraschilla's comments last night during the Kansas game when he responded to the question from Bob Wischusen concerning Iowa State next season. Fran said unless they get a couple of good grad transfers they cannot compete in the Big 12 with freshmen. He then went into the examples of Baylor, Texas Tech, etc... winning with older teams. I tend to respect Fran's knowledge of the league; therefore, If graduate help does not arrive ISU will miss the tourney again next year.

I disagree with his assessment there, as it's not like we're throwing all freshmen out there to compete. We have a really nice core returning, and all will have a Big 12 season (or multiple in some cases) under their belts now, plus Johnson. I do think we need at least one more experienced guy at the point if Tyrese leaves.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I disagree with his assessment there, as it's not like we're throwing all freshmen out there to compete. We have a really nice core returning, and all will have a Big 12 season (or multiple in some cases) under their belts now, plus Johnson. I do think we need at least one more experienced guy at the point if Tyrese leaves.

So you kind of agree with his assessment.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So you kind of agree with his assessment.

I think it's a little too decisive. If we didn't add an experienced point, I think with some work and improvement, Bolton/Jackson/Walker could suffice. You just never know (see Tyrese being almost indispensable his freshman season). At any rate, it's not like all the freshmen are going to have to be immediately thrown into the mix, and would probably have a reduced role in comparison to what Jackson has had this year.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
One thing that has hurt Foster is that he was hurt during a large portion of the AAU season.

He was hurt a large portion of the AAU season and didn't play on one of the big/shoe circuits. Regarding hurt he was also hurt a good portion of his senior year so hopefully he's getting that out of his system.

I've seen him play quite a bit and I think he'll develop into a strong player, but my expectations are low for next year.

I'll be happy with him showing the ability to be a strong rim defender on the defensive end while rim running well on offense and shooting a decent percentage from three. I don't expect huge numbers on offense, but if he can defend well while contributing just enough on offense he isn't a liability I'll be happy.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
KenPom statistics aren't worth anything if they aren't translating into wins.

The seasons where they have won have equated with Ken Pom and same with losses. You disagreed with facts. They are facts whether you like them or not.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Being as brutally blunt as possible. But I think this is the fastest path to returning to the tournament.

4) Haliburton stays. I actually think him being a top 5 pick helps Iowa State way more in the long run for future recruiting. But him being back in 2020-2021 would be MASSIVE!

If Hali, Griffin and Lewis leave. We land 1 stud pg (kane, shayok level production), a stretch 4 who plays at the Dustin Houge or Melvin Ejim level and another Rasir Bolton equivalent level transfer with the 3 "new" open scholarships.

Unlikely Hali goes top 5.

And to ask for a guy like Kane/Shayok + a guy like Ejim/Hogue is asking for two first team all conference players in the same offseason, plus another top 20 transfer, like Bolton. If they get all that, even Prohm will have them in contention for a Big 12 championship.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy$

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Prohm has his flaws but you also have to acknowledge what he has done here. Probably the best first five years of and ISU coach behind Hoiberg and Eustachy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Ok well if the don’t count when you are the one coaching, when do they count?

If we're reaching into the fantasy world where we call these 5 great years, I'm not sure things like facts matter anymore.

Although if we talk "the one coaching," maybe we don't need to give Prohm those first 2 years. That wasn't his magic working, since the magic was still working.

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
I think Steve's guys have a tendency to be a bit soft per se. They are "high character" guys which is a good selling point, but someone mentioned Kane being Nasty and we could use a little nastiness and grit. Kane, Ejim, Hogue, all played gritty and in your face. I think of the Baylor games this year, Vital was abusing our guys like a man in a kids game. My hope is with potential transfers/incoming freshman we can get a bit more of a take no s*** attitude.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If we're reaching into the fantasy world where we call these 5 great years, I'm not sure things like facts matter anymore.

Although if we talk "the one coaching," maybe we don't need to give Prohm those first 2 years. That wasn't his magic working, since the magic was still working.
Just look at the facts.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneErik

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Prohm has his flaws but you also have to acknowledge what he has done here. Probably the best first five years of and ISU coach behind Hoiberg and Eustachy

Disagree.

last 6 ISU coaches win %
Hoiberg .673
Floyd .633
Eustachy .631
Morgan .585
Prohm .580
McDermott .456

yes I know Steve has taken teams to ncaa tournament, yes I know he has 2 big 12 tournament championships. Steve has had incredible highs, he’s also had some astounding lows, let’s weigh all those things when viewing Steve Prohm as a coach