WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty sure it's more of a case of "what we want build" vs "What have you done for me lately" She's really popular in Minn I believe and a giving her time to accomplish things also extending her might help with recruiting?

She also had discipline issues with her star guard (who subsequently quit) and with a couple of seniors who allegedly sided with Pitts the guard. A bunch of posters on the GopherHole didn't like the Whalen hire so have been posting like the guys here on Prohm. Me, I'll give her some time to build some regional recruiting back. Culture and system (play some defense) change needed and will take more than a couple of years. Won't surprise me if one or two of the previous staff recruits transfer after the season.

Think the extension is a little message that the AD is siding with the coach and not the gossip hounds and a few disgruntled players recruited by the ex-coach. Helps spike the negative recruiting e.g. "Hey, Whalen will be gone in a couple years, come play for us instead!"

From Star Trib:

Whalen should have an infusion of talent next season thanks to Syracuse transfer Kadiatou Sissoko and a strong incoming recruiting class. Whalen’s extension carries her through the senior seasons of those incoming freshmen, a standard procedure in major college coaching.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Pretty sure it's more of a case of "what we want build" vs "What have you done for me lately" She's really popular in Minn I believe and a giving her time to accomplish things also extending her might help with recruiting?
Fan attendance for Gopher home games at The Barn is back down this year, after a huge spike in Whalen's first year. So you need to win.
I'm interested in how they look tonight in East Lansing. Very winnable game.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Texas beat WVU 50-44 in Austin. WVU was 0-15 on three-pointers.
Texas scored 4 points in the 2nd quarter and 8 in the 4th. They're VERY fortunate to have won that game with the more-miss-than-hit offense they have lately.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Texas scored 4 points in the 2nd quarter and 8 in the 4th. They're VERY fortunate to have won that game with the more-miss-than-hit offense they have lately.

Both of these teams are vying for the coveted Big 12 Less Than the Sum of it's Parts award. Also in contention, OSU with two star players and punching well below their weight.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And UConn lands at #6 in the polls after losing to S. Carolina last wkend 1st time out of the top 5 since 2007 if I read the scroll right.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And UConn lands at #6 in the polls after losing to S. Carolina last wkend 1st time out of the top 5 since 2007 if I read the scroll right.

Drop down to #10 or so and they will be talking rebuild even with the #1 2020 player coming in. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Bracketology (ESPN) update: Iowa State is listed as a 10 seed, playing Ohio State in Los Angeles. UCLA is the 2. Oklahoma State is the last team in, while WVU is among the first four out.

• Informative

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Bracketology (ESPN) update: Iowa State is listed as a 10 seed, playing Ohio State in Los Angeles. UCLA is the 2. Oklahoma State is the last team in, while WVU is among the first four out.

Rather be lower seed and go to Chicago. I think this team will eventually play themselves into a 8-9 which means a 1 seed if second round if we survive the opening round.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Having an additional scoring threat in Camber certainly makes this a different team to defend...and potential to finish as the #3 seed. 11-7 in conference would be a nice finish given the loss of some big-time players from last year.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/N...of-one-Lady-Bear-in-particular-567990251.html

When Kim Mulkey likely secures her 600th career win Tuesday night at Texas Tech, one NBA superstar will be glued to a television in Waco cheering her on along with a special member of her squad, his fiancé.

LA Lakers center Dwight Howard is engaged to Mulkey's starting point guard Te'a Cooper.

Howard says before he knew the head coach, he took note of her great coaching and outfits, too.

"I knew that Kim was crazy but she could dress really nice," Howard laughed.

• Informative
Reactions: geewago and NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/N...of-one-Lady-Bear-in-particular-567990251.html

When Kim Mulkey likely secures her 600th career win Tuesday night at Texas Tech, one NBA superstar will be glued to a television in Waco cheering her on along with a special member of her squad, his fiancé.

LA Lakers center Dwight Howard is engaged to Mulkey's starting point guard Te'a Cooper.

Howard says before he knew the head coach, he took note of her great coaching and outfits, too.

"I knew that Kim was crazy but she could dress really nice," Howard laughed.
Cool, she's 21 (or maybe 22 now) and he is 34.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
For those who haven't seen the final yet, Baylor won at Tech, 77-62. They were tied at the start of the 4th, knotted at 52.

• Informative

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Halftime in Manhattan: KSU 24, TCU 17
TCU is 6-36 from the field
Teams are a combined 0-15 beyond the arc