Votes: 71 27.8%

• Total voters

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I take like 15 flights a year. Someone else said they take 100.

I take 100 which gives me enough status on at least 2 airlines to at least pick an Economy Plus seat so that helps. But I don’t exclusively fly one airline so I’m still in regular economy at times.

I am guessing airlines will end this debate slowly. They’ll be putting in non-reclining seats as they replace seats.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cycloneG

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You should pay for your seats by what it costs the airlines to fly you, by space and a combination for yours and your luggage's weight. This will never happen but should.

For those of you complaining about the cattle car seating, if they made the seats more spacious every seat would cost more with less tickets being sold per flight. The current configuration is a balance of the amount of discomfort people will put up with and the price they will pay with some safety considerations. Not the airlines "fault", its market forces and consumer choice. More spacious options are available.

I have heard people say if the person reclines their seat in front of them they can't sit "in a normal position with your knees bent at 90 degrees" because they are 6' whatever. Guess what, no one beyond children sit like that. Everyone needs to put their feet fully under the seat in front of them somewhat straight. If you put a bag under the seat in front of you and can't that's on you. Travel lighter.

I always recline my seat, they are already hell enough on my back without reclining no matter the length of the flight. The only time it is reasonable to expect seats to be upright is during the rare meal service. not just beverage but the rare actually meal on long haul flights. I don't get upset at the person in front of me if they recline while I'm in a nonreclining seat in front of the emergency exits or back of the plane. I just realize I lost the airplane seating lottery.

Guess I’m a child from how I sit. News to me. Is my wife in trouble for being married to a child?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
For those not wanting the seat ahead of them to recline. Pay $40 for Exit Row. The seats ahead of them don’t recline. Problem solved. And lots of work space for computer.

Better yet, pay the upgrade for first class. Or charter your own plane.

Upgrading seats isn’t usually a reimbursable expense for many companies.

And this (bad) recommendation could be said about many things with travel. “Just pay $XXX so you don’t have to deal with it” it is a typical response. Or just be considerate of people behind you and don’t recline if you don’t have to.

Last edited:

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I take 100 which gives me enough status on at least 2 airlines to at least pick an Economy Plus seat so that helps. But I don’t exclusively fly one airline so I’m still in regular economy at times.

I am guessing airlines will end this debate slowly. They’ll be putting in non-reclining seats as they replace seats.

They'll have a hell of a lot of complaints then. Why do you think no one wants the back row.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think the issue with people flying is they assume they are the only ones who find it stressful. They forget flying basically sucks for everyone. That and people tend to think they have an absolute right to do stuff... be it recline or be it to not be impeded by someone reclining. When in reality if you are polite and flexible your experience is way better. That being said I am a slightly above average height dude and I have no idea how tall people do economy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would be willing to pay 10% more if they cut 3 of the 50 rows out. That would add several more inches and lighten to load so it would be more economical on fuel.
So a 300 ticket would be 330.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm always in the middle seat because spouse needs the window as he's mildly claustrophobic; having an open window to look out helps that some. However, my legs are short, and the seats restrict blood flow behind my knees, so my doc recommends that I get up and walk up/down the aisle a couple of times every 1.5 hours or so. I know how frustrating that is to the person next to me on the aisle especially on an overnight flight, so I try to get up when they're up, and avoid disturbing them when they're eating. But if I have to choose between disturbing them or blood clots...yeah, gonna get up & walk when I need to. Sometimes there's a reason people get up frequently. :)

Yeah I've never had anyone get really even remotely disgruntled if I need them to get up, and I don't either, as I know that goes with the territory on the aisle spot. No conditions but I get up and stretch to keep the hips and back a bit loose on longer flights.

Reactions: Stormin

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
- I don't recline unless it's a long overnight flight and everyone else is doing it too.

- Middle seat gets both armrests, see Jim Jeffries bit.

- I don't care about the shade unless the sun is blasting in the window and I'm trying to keep my toddler napping across the aisle.

Speaking of flying with kids, last week my wife, 20 month old, and I were on a 3 hour flight in the middle of the day. The guy ahead of us was in the exit row and had the empty seating location directly in front of him with about 5 feet of empty space. My wife was behind him with our daughter in her lap. As soon as we reached cruising altitude, he looks back at my wife with daughter in lap, then proceeds to fully recline. Keep in mind this is like 11am.

Now my daughter's feet are right up against the back of his seat, and she accidentally kicks the seat back about 3 times over the course of 5 minutes. He turns around, gives me a nasty stare and makes a shoving motion to make sure I'm aware my toddler just kicked the back of his seat, and I apologized despite my urge to confront him.

Later he spends about 30 minutes leaned forward eating his snacks while his seat remains reclined. We also overheard him talking about his young grandchildren who were somewhere else on the same flight. That was the most incredible part to me, how can you have such a lack of empathy when you know your own son/daughter are somewhere else on the same plane doing their best to corral their toddler? This sucks for all of us, don't make it worse than it has to be.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Better yet, pay the upgrade for first class. Or charter your own plane.

Upgrading seats isn’t usually a reimbursable expense for many companies.

And this (bad) recommendation could be said about many things with travel. “Just pay $XXX so you don’t have to deal with it” it is a typical response. Or just be considerate of people behind you and don’t recline if you don’t have to.

I don’t have a problem in Main Cabin. Regardless of whether the person ahead of me reclines or not. If you have a problem with the person ahead of you reclining then pay for your own upgrade. Trying to control others. Airlines give the choice in the seats I select. And I pay an extra $30 to select MY Reclining Seat. If you are in Economy then you are down the food chain. Capitalism.

Not my fault you work for a cheap ass company. Take your issues up with them.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: cykee05 and flycy

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I recline just enough to take suck out of domestic flights.

I go all the way on international flights. **** that ****.

I’m always on the aisle. I’ll downgrade to get an aisle seat.

People can do what they want I guess. Unfortunately, most people are selfish dicks.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
They'll have a hell of a lot of complaints then. Why do you think no one wants the back row.

People can complain but it won't stop them from flying. It would also remove a point on contention. If people want to act like children about something, don't let them have the something.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
For those not wanting the seat ahead of them to recline. Pay $40 for Exit Row. The seats ahead of them don’t recline. Problem solved. And lots of work space for computer.

Exit row for every flight I take and the best part is the main "preferred airline" for our company provides exit row to us for no added cost. Haven't been cramped or worried about someone reclining in years.

• Winner
Reactions: Stormin

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Man I never knew this was such a big deal for some people. I'm going to recline my seat so hard next time. Can't wait to give them the east coast charm I've picked up after my years of travels.

• Funny
Reactions: flycy and Doc

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
But...most of all I enjoy watching people walking down the isle as they look for their seat...knowing you could have the small petite pixie sitting next to you, or the overweight smelly tubby sitting next to you...the anticipation is tantalizing! Who will it be?....Dammit its the tubby again!

Haven't read the rest of the thread, so SIAP, but this reminds me of my favorite Far Side comic...

Attachments

• FarSide.jpg
    FarSide.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
I also have trouble sleeping sitting up. I've seen these, but never gotten them for fear I'd look like a total idiot:

LINK

I have a similar one. I pack it and use it. Helps me sleep on the longer flights. Others maybe laugh but how would I know I'm sleeping.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Man I never knew this was such a big deal for some people. I'm going to recline my seat so hard next time. Can't wait to give them the east coast charm I've picked up after my years of travels.

Some people are oblivious. Makes sense.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
No. There just isn’t enough room. Sometimes a may recline in first class, usually there is a reason; like the person in front of me reclined.

There are other issues: hard tapping the TOUCH screen behind my head, knees in the back of the chair ( I’m 6’4” and don’t), the arm rest is a divider ( I don’t even use) encroaching into my share of the space ( again I’m not small, if can make it work), speaking in a normal or loud voice, etc.. I fly at least every other week,so I don’t let most of this bother me anymore, but interesting that this topic was brought up.