I'm looking for a hitting coach for my daughter

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
We are by the Ames area and trying to find someone that is a good hitting coach for my daughter. Does anyone on here have anybody they are worked with in recently that they would recommend? She is in 8th grade and can kill the ball when she gets a hold of it but her coach shes had messed with her swing a few years and turned her hitting into more of a bunt style and now she can hardly hit to save her life. And no I don't think she is the next greatest thing to come in softball lol but i do want to get her with someone that can help her become the best she can be and enjoy the sport again. So any help is greatly appreciated.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
If she's in 8th grade, I assume she won't isn't listening to you? :)

Been to watch a team camp with the Boone Coaches - I like their approach.

I wouldn't be afraid to use a baseball hitting coach - not much/any difference between good softball hitting and baseball hitting (only difference is the bat attack angle is a little lower due to ball trajectory.

IMO The Director of the Iowa Renegades in Des Moines is one of the best in the state
http://www.iowarenegades.com/contact-us

Otherwise, Carrie Embry in Waukee

Do you have a tee and net to hit at home?

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan4St8

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa

I wouldn't be afraid to use a baseball hitting coach - not much/any difference between good softball hitting and baseball hitting (only difference is the bat attack angle is a little lower due to ball trajectory.

IMO The Director of the Iowa Renegades in Des Moines is one of the best in the state

Yeah I'm the dumbest person she's every known haha darn teenagers lol . Yeah we actually have a pitching machine and batting cage along with a hitting tee and hitting net with that . She does good with that but struggles when she gets up to bat. I don't blame her school coaches they have so many girls to help out they can only do so much. But she was the only one that would step up and bunt and she got some bad swinging habits after that. She does this weird half swing crap but heck she still gets it midway out in the outfield. She's at a bigger school so I don't want to see her get frustrated not enjoy it like she was. Sports are so different now from when i was growing up you either have to get advanced so early and some how on your own or just have a true god given gift that it comes easy to be included.

Thanks for the names and suggestions !

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My dad was a multisport coach for years, great fast pitch softball player back in the 70s and 80s in the northern Iowa area. PM me if you're interested. He might be willing to meet with her a few times to help with her swing. He lives near Fort Dodge and is retired but still coaches some with the smaller high schools in the area.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Suuup?
Hey, how ya doing?

Oh you mean actually hitting never mind ;). Good luck finding a coach for your kid.

• Funny
Reactions: ruflosn

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Dave Baker is about as good as it gets. Got the proverbial cup of coffee in the Majors and his daughter played in the CWS with Oregon .

Kids that want to get better love him. Got that grumpy uncle personality which makes the praise mean more. My son has been with him for six years.

Only issue for you would be he's in Lacona.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007

My daughter played both Baseball and Softball one season. The respective swings are not compatible. Took her better part of a year to shake bad habits.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
My dad was a multisport coach for years, great fast pitch softball player back in the 70s and 80s in the northern Iowa area. PM me if you're interested. He might be willing to meet with her a few times to help with her swing. He lives near Fort Dodge and is retired but still coaches some with the smaller high schools in the area.

What’s your Dads name and what team did he play for? I played in the 80s for a team out of Des Moines.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Yeah I'm the dumbest person she's every known haha darn teenagers lol . Yeah we actually have a pitching machine and batting cage along with a hitting tee and hitting net with that . She does good with that but struggles when she gets up to bat. I don't blame her school coaches they have so many girls to help out they can only do so much. But she was the only one that would step up and bunt and she got some bad swinging habits after that. She does this weird half swing crap but heck she still gets it midway out in the outfield. She's at a bigger school so I don't want to see her get frustrated not enjoy it like she was. Sports are so different now from when i was growing up you either have to get advanced so early and some how on your own or just have a true god given gift that it comes easy to be included.

Thanks for the names and suggestions !

I’m not a big fan of pitching machines. My biggest bang for the buck is front it’s from about 20’ in front of my daughter behind a net or screen. Food for thought.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
My daughter played both Baseball and Softball one season. The respective swings are not compatible. Took her better part of a year to shake bad habits.

interesting. Both of my daughters have been trained using baseball techniques and have had good success with it. When I watch college SB, most D1 players hit a lot like MLB.

what was different about her SB swing from BB?

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
interesting. Both of my daughters have been trained using baseball techniques and have had good success with it. When I watch college SB, most D1 players hit a lot like MLB.

what was different about her SB swing from BB?

I’ve been told they try to teach girls these days that how they have them hitting the ball it’s to put back spin on it to carry it further ....... But I asked if my daughter can hit it solid and hard and hit the fence in 6th grade why mess with that since she would only get stronger and the pitches would get faster which will help when she connects and it will come off the bat even better. Plus we got her a composite bat a Louisville LTX-10.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron