XFL

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think starting the league a couple months after the Super Bowl would drive up interest. Get people a little thirsty for football and have this serve as an appetizer for the real thing.

Yeah now it just looks like such a lower level of football after the NFL season concluded but give me some time in the early summer or something when ANY football looks fun.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Marlins, Rays, and Astros all play in domes. Yes, the Rangers, Dodgers, and Angels don't (I'm not counting the Padres - playing in 70-degree weather all year doesn't count). But you're also forgetting that playing baseball in 90+ degree heat /= playing football in 90+ degree heat. Baseball players don't have to play in all the pads and protective gear that football players have to, and if you don't think it makes a difference, just remember how well that ISU-Baylor game went over last year.

Arizona plays in a dome, too.

The new Rangers park has a retractable roof.

The only open-air Southeastern/Southwestern baseball team is Atlanta.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They start play at the new one this season.

The old one is now, ironically, the Renegades' stadium.

:)

I was aware of that. Saw a game there once. It actually is a nice stadium. But yeah, playing baseball in a non-roofed stadium in north central Texas during the summer isn't ideal.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
As with every other attempt at a new league, the challenge will be for people to care about a team. Sorta the same problem hockey deals with. If you watch enough to know the players and teams, the product is entertaining enough.
So far the play itself looks like early season college where teams are trying to figure themselves out. Generally, high level QBs and o-linemen find homes in the league, but there are plenty of slightly undersized athletic defensive players. Makes it hard for offenses to find a rhythm. Kickoffs are definitely different, I kinda like them, way more interesting than trading touchbacks. Also fun to hear the coaches making playcalls during timeouts and player interviews as they come off the field.
Overall it feels like football and not a gimmick. We'll see how long it lasts.
Yep! I would support a team in Des Moines (where I live), and I support teams that land in Birmingham (where I grew up). Not interested in any of these other cities though. Chargers to Des Moines, NOW!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
All XFL employees were laid off and operations were suspended today. Spring football fails again.

COVID-19 certainly didn't help any but there were signs the league might not make it before that anyway.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
All XFL employees were laid off and operations were suspended today. Spring football fails again.

COVID-19 certainly didn't help any but there were signs the league might not make it before that anyway.
That really blows. Their product was not that bad IMO. Substantially more smooth than the AAF.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I am really bummed. I actually really enjoyed this time around. Hoping we still get spring football someday

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It was better than the original one but it still didn't seem to have big crowds or be anything that would gather much sustainable interest.

Let's see if the NFL or college borrows the kick off ideas.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I've always wondered why somebody doesn't try a June/July/August season with all night games. Have your championship game just as college football is starting up.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I can't wait till Vince is 95 and tries it again. Not sure how a smart guy like him thought this could work even after the massive failure the last time.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've always wondered why somebody doesn't try a June/July/August season with all night games. Have your championship game just as college football is starting up.
Because these guys are trying to make an NFL roster and that is NFL training camp time.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Eh...?

0_9umpErki4VpfAl-Ojc6bpuBUzF3g8toM1ERM_hxE8.jpg

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
In a normal environment, the league would probably get time to develop a little.

But without the ability to hold spectator events, McMahon is probably hemorrhaging money in his other entertainment properties that are better established and have a better chance of bouncing back when this is over. So it was an easy thing to cut.

I hope some of the innovations that they employed get a look at other levels of football. The XFL did some neat stuff.