Reclining on an airplane? and other flying etiquette

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you recline your seat while flying

• Yes

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 132 51.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 71 27.8%

• Total voters

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
@Angie @cowgirl836 and any other vertically challenged people:

I have a dogbone style pillow that I use for both the car and airplanes because of where the headrest hits me. It's filled with microbeads and is light as a feather, doesn't get hot like those horseshoe pillows do, and has an elasticized strap that fits over the seat back to hold it in place. Both the cover and the pillow are machine washable; I dry the cover in the dryer, but I air dry the pillow.
I don't go any distance without it. It looks like this, but mine has a single adjustable elastic strap that goes from one end to the other instead of the two small end-straps pictured.
8126d1itDEL._SL1500_.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Interesting thread. I'm United 1K and Global Services now, so I'm usually upgraded to First Class, but I remember back when I had these problems. [humble brag]

I rarely reclined in Coach on domestic flights. Maybe for a redeye. Hate the guys (yes, it was always guys), who do a full recline slam as soon as they sit down. Sometimes slamming my tray table into my gut. Barely enough room for my laptop and gut in Coach without the recline.

Some armrests can be shared (front to one, back to another). Mostly it is just squatters' rights (first come, first served, but don't give it up and expect me to give it back).

My gripe about middle seats is related to long international flights. It seems like the last people to get seat assignments are single parents from other countries with lots of children and none of them have ever flown before. They look at me with puppy dog eyes and want me to switch my "best in coach" seat with their awful middle seat. Sorry, I booked months ahead of time and did the research to know what seat to pick. The flight isn't just travel for me, it is time for work and/or rest to prepare for work as soon as I land. I save my charity for CycloneFanatic.com fundraisers!

My biggest complaint is backpacks. Can't believe it hasn't come up yet. How can people be so clueless as to all the people and things they are whacking when they make turns? I've taken to saying a loud "ouch" if it even touches me. I want people to know they just did something stupid. It is my service to the other hundred people who get hit, but are too Iowa-nice to say something.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
How about people that line up in the aisle to use the lavatory?

What are your thoughts on people in economy that use the first class Lavatory?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Interesting thread. I'm United 1K and Global Services now, so I'm usually upgraded to First Class, but I remember back when I had these problems. [humble brag]

I rarely reclined in Coach on domestic flights. Maybe for a redeye. Hate the guys (yes, it was always guys), who do a full recline slam as soon as they sit down. Sometimes slamming my tray table into my gut. Barely enough room for my laptop and gut in Coach without the recline.

Some armrests can be shared (front to one, back to another). Mostly it is just squatters' rights (first come, first served, but don't give it up and expect me to give it back).

My gripe about middle seats is related to long international flights. It seems like the last people to get seat assignments are single parents from other countries with lots of children and none of them have ever flown before. They look at me with puppy dog eyes and want me to switch my "best in coach" seat with their awful middle seat. Sorry, I booked months ahead of time and did the research to know what seat to pick. The flight isn't just travel for me, it is time for work and/or rest to prepare for work as soon as I land. I save my charity for CycloneFanatic.com fundraisers!

My biggest complaint is backpacks. Can't believe it hasn't come up yet. How can people be so clueless as to all the people and things they are whacking when they make turns? I've taken to saying a loud "ouch" if it even touches me. I want people to know they just did something stupid. It is my service to the other hundred people who get hit, but are too Iowa-nice to say something.

Funny you mention the backpack thing. This happened to me a few times on my flight just now. I always have my backpack off and in my hand walking down the aisle. I can't imagine people being so clueless to wear it and expect it not to hit anyone.

I also have a pet peeve with people that roll their bags down the aisle. Just pick it up! It'll be 10x easier for everyone.

On top of picking it up, if you can't lift your bag into the overhead compartments, it's too heavy and you should've checked it. The only exception I make is very elderly and I'll help.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
And those of us who chose to recline have reasonable explanations as well. The tall man's problem is not everyone else's to cater to. For all of your "it's just one flight, deal with it", I can easily turn that back on you. Deal with it or pick a seat that gives you more room.

I think the problem is that even if you are a reasonably normal height but on the taller side like I am, I can't even sit in a normal position without my knees digging into the seat. I don't care if somebody reclines a fair amount, and I certainly get it if it's a night flight or long flight. Hell, if someone has the courtesy to give me a warning or pretend to be conscious that there's someone behind them, I'm cool with that too. The problem is people that just slam their seat into your knees, so at the very least if I have the gall to move my legs I'm going to be bumping their seat. I've had people actually get pissed that my knees are touching their seat.

I guess my approach is that I'm OK with being slightly less comfortable to save someone behind me from being miserable.

L

LincolnWay187

If you can’t fit into the defined allotted space then pay for an upgrade. That would include obese people and taller people who need more room. Pay for an upgrade. Or quit ********.
If you cant fit without reclining.. you buy the upgrade. I fit just fine regularly until people lay back...

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm 6'4" and there was once when I was mostly asleep and the person in front of me tried to recline, hit my knees partway down, and must have thought it stuck because they straightened it up and then just slammed it back. Ouch.

this has happened to me a few times. Once, it jolted me awake to the point where I let out an Fbomb.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Legroom for Airline seats has decreased 12% to 18% since the early 2000’s. Greedy airlines are the problem. They charge for everything. The amount of room given has shrunk significantly. And they are working to get even more seats and less room for the future

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt and Doc

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Legroom for Airline seats has decreased 12% to 18% since the early 2000’s. Greedy airlines are the problem. They charge for everything. The amount of room given has shrunk significantly. And they are working to get even more seats and less room for the future

Although you are not wrong as consumers we have driven them to the bottom by demanding lower fares with more amenities (IFE, WiFi etc.). The only real drivers of most booking decisions are time and cost. So when do you want to leave and who has the lowest price. Just look at how many people have booked basic economy fares not realizing what they are buying or buying it known about it and then complaining.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@Angie @cowgirl836 and any other vertically challenged people:

I have a dogbone style pillow that I use for both the car and airplanes because of where the headrest hits me. It's filled with microbeads and is light as a feather, doesn't get hot like those horseshoe pillows do, and has an elasticized strap that fits over the seat back to hold it in place. Both the cover and the pillow are machine washable; I dry the cover in the dryer, but I air dry the pillow.
I don't go any distance without it. It looks like this, but mine has a single adjustable elastic strap that goes from one end to the other instead of the two small end-straps pictured.
8126d1itDEL._SL1500_.jpg

I'll have to grab one of those! I have one of these for international travel, just because I'm unable to get comfortable ever: LINK

They mostly look like a puffy scarf, but I can adjust it right by my neck, even when sitting in the middle seat:

71gIwHo7k1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'll have to grab one of those! I have one of these for international travel, just because I'm unable to get comfortable ever: LINK

They mostly look like a puffy scarf, but I can adjust it right by my neck, even when sitting in the middle seat:

71gIwHo7k1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The things I prefer about mine is that a) the stuff that wraps all around feel like I'm getting choked, and b) my neck gets hot & sweaty...blechh!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If you take your shoes off, please do not have stinky feet. If you bring food on the plane, don't bring pungent food. And exercise some hygiene before boarding.

Basically, just because I have to spend a few hours sitting next to you, it shouldn't mean that I have to smell you the entire time.

giphy.gif

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I fly a lot using regional airports. I can drive to Fort Dodge and get round trip to St. Louis for $120 round trip. Fly at around 6000 feet can normally get 4g reception. Sure it's an 8 seat plane with no lavatory. I can also do this! Most flights only have 4-5 people and luggage is free.

upload_2020-2-17_13-44-34.png

Reactions: wxman1

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It sucks that this is even a debate that has to be had. One would think that paying hundreds of dollars for a seat should entitle you to use all of the amenities that seat allows. Unfortunately, we live in a world where airline margins are tight enough that each passenger on a flight is worth less than $20 profit to the airline. Unless we're willing to pay more (most aren't) we'll continue to be treated like livestock.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Do you not fly?
I do fly, but maybe my issue is I am not large. I am 6 foot and around 185. Would I prefer more room and that the person in front of me doesn't recline? Sure, but it being rude of them to recline has never entered my mind. More likely I would just recline as well, because it is way more comfortable, and then I get the room back that I lost. Being able to barely recline is one of the few comforts in flying.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I will, but only slightly so the damn seat back isn't straight up and down and only after I ask the person sitting behind me (for the sake of being polite. I have yet for anyone to say no).

I'm 6'7 so I'm already having a hard enough time squeezing into Economy without the person in front of me reclining as far back as they can.

I don't know what it is with some people; it's like they moment they step on a plane they forget how to be courteous. We're all in it together, folks.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’m sure you’ve all seen the video but if not here's a guy that got mad about someone reclining their seat - https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...seat-punch-recline-video-flight-a9333231.html

• Do you guys recline your seat? What do you think of people that do without asking?

Some other flying etiquette questions:
  • Do you guys ask to leave the windows closed?
  • Who gets the middle armrests?
  • Should first class have a dress code?
When I do recline, I do it very slowly so as not to surprise and/or disrupt any table stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY