XFL

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You are right that one can end up "footballed out."

I bet that probably has helped kill all the other spring football leagues.

It has to have impact, being played "out of traditional season." Kind of a tough spot because in addition to less star power, only football diehards are likely to stay engaged with the game once spring rolls around. But if it's pushed closer to regular time of year, it would have no way to compete w/ NFL (USFL tried to switch to fall schedule and that pretty much finished it off, IIRC).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This league has no chance of survival... just like all the others before them.

Nobody wants to watch average football players that play for teams nobody has any attachment to whatsoever.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is one of the things I don't get about XFL strategy. As far as I can tell none of these teams are running more traditionally "college" style offenses - option, spread rushing attack, a lot of speed and swinging the ball side to side - as opposed to air raid, attacking by pass.

There are lots of QBs coming out of NCAA who won a lot of games doing this and who don't fit in the NFL - one of these XFL teams should give them a chance

And hence one of the largest reasons I prefer the college game to the professional game -- college programs come from literal different philosophical schools about how they play offense, while NFL teams have a much blander feel about them.

I will say, though, that the NFL has gotten better in this regard in the past few years, and the teams being more innovative about borrowing and integrating those college concepts into their offense are more fun to watch and, increasingly, more successful. That was something KC and SF were both very good at, and they succeed by it.

The XFL should go with that or even get ahead of that. Being a potentially viable home for nontraditional quarterbacks from college with a huge following but unsuited for the NFL game (with somebody like Tebow being the perfect archetype) might be a path to attention and viability for them as a game and carving out a little niche.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It has to have impact, being played "out of traditional season." Kind of a tough spot because in addition to less star power, only football diehards are likely to stay engaged with the game once spring rolls around. But if it's pushed closer to regular time of year, it would have no way to compete w/ NFL (USFL tried to switch to fall schedule and that pretty much finished it off, IIRC).

That is a pretty large population on its own.

The NFL is so popular and has such a vast fan base that if they can somehow hook even a small proportion of it, they might be viable. NFL TV viewership is crazy even compared to the NBA, MLB, and NHL, and those other sports do just fine.

I doubt they are going to try to move to the summer (way too hot and most of their teams are relatively southern, competes with the CFL to some small extent) or the fall (and going to the fall would be a form of suicide for various reasons).

Having the season this time of year kind of locks you out of the north-center part of the country, though. Their teams are coastal, southern, or indoors (St. Louis) given how harsh the winter can be right now for so many places.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That is a pretty large population on its own.

The NFL is so popular and has such a vast fan base that if they can somehow hook even a small proportion of it, they might be viable. NFL TV viewership is crazy even compared to the NBA, MLB, and NHL, and those other sports do just fine.

I doubt they are going to try to move to the summer (way too hot and most of their teams are relatively southern, competes with the CFL to some small extent) or the fall (and going to the fall would be a form of suicide for various reasons).

Having the season this time of year kind of locks you out of the north-center part of the country, though. Their teams are coastal, southern, or indoors (St. Louis) given how harsh the winter can be right now for so many places.
I know the AAF had a San Antonio team but I still think that would have been a good city to look at.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
If I were smart, I would've bet heavily on the unders before these games started. Crazy how far off they ended up being on the O/U. Even Vegas didn't think these offenses would be so ugly.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Hopefully with more reps and more tape out there offenses will start to have a better idea of what works. And execute it better. Right now no one's consistent enough and only a few teams have shown glimpses of explosiveness.
I was hoping for more creativity, and or speed, even gimmickry from the offenses. I would like to see it as a proving ground for new coaches and new ideas, not just recycling old OC's or DC's with old ideas.
They don't have a true superstar to market, and aren't likely to. What they do have a plethora of are gritty, likeable underdog-types that are clinging to a dream they've been told is dead. With all the on-field access, I would have expected more off-field legend building. Give us a reason to pull for someone.
Overall I have enjoyed what I've gotten to watch. It's pretty clearly got the best chance of success of any of the new leagues that have tried in the last 25 years or so. But, at some point the novelty will be gone, they need to give me a reason to care before then.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If I were smart, I would've bet heavily on the unders before these games started. Crazy how far off they ended up being on the O/U. Even Vegas didn't think these offenses would be so ugly.
I've bet on most unders. Same way with the AAF last year. Offenses in these things are way behind the defense

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I think starting the league a couple months after the Super Bowl would drive up interest. Get people a little thirsty for football and have this serve as an appetizer for the real thing.

Agree. Tweak it for next year and start the weekend after the draft and have the championship game in mid-July right before NFL camps open like the old NFL Europe used to.

I actually think this league will make it as a minor league. They've got plenty of money and they're getting people to show up. Plus the TV situation is WAY better than the AAF had.

• Winner
Reactions: HitItHard58

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Trying to give XFL a chance and support St. Louis due to Midwest proximity and Campos. However, he got injured. Anyone know how bad of injury?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think starting the league a couple months after the Super Bowl would drive up interest. Get people a little thirsty for football and have this serve as an appetizer for the real thing.

They may be good for the next few weeks but after that sports really start to rev up. March Madness, the Masters, NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, MLB starting up. Gonna be real hard to carve out a good part of the market with all of that going on.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They may be good for the next few weeks but after that sports really start to rev up. March Madness, the Masters, NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, MLB starting up. Gonna be real hard to carve out a good part of the market with all of that going on.

If the meat of your season is in June/July, you're not squaring up as badly against those. NBA and NHL are down to their finals (so less total games competing), you're behind March Madness and the Masters, and MLB is in it's meaningless "dog days" stretch.

Plus, football thirst is at it's zenith.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If the meat of your season is in June/July, you're not squaring up as badly against those. NBA and NHL are down to their finals (so less total games competing), you're behind March Madness and the Masters, and MLB is in it's meaningless "dog days" stretch.

Plus, football thirst is at it's zenith.

Outdoor games in southern California, Texas, and Florida are going to be brutal, though.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Agree. Tweak it for next year and start the weekend after the draft and have the championship game in mid-July right before NFL camps open like the old NFL Europe used to.

I actually think this league will make it as a minor league. They've got plenty of money and they're getting people to show up. Plus the TV situation is WAY better than the AAF had.
Starting right after the draft would be brilliant.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Baseball and soccer are getting played in those climates at the same time.

Marlins, Rays, and Astros all play in domes. Yes, the Rangers, Dodgers, and Angels don't (I'm not counting the Padres - playing in 70-degree weather all year doesn't count). But you're also forgetting that playing baseball in 90+ degree heat /= playing football in 90+ degree heat. Baseball players don't have to play in all the pads and protective gear that football players have to, and if you don't think it makes a difference, just remember how well that ISU-Baylor game went over last year.