Iowa off the beaten path

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We live West of CL and that was the beach we always went to. It used to be really busy. Please disregard the most popular statement as it was my opinion and probably wrong.

There are some good things about CL. The Surf is a treasure and deserves a visit; Main Street has some nice restaurants; North Shore drive is very pretty.

Yeah...this was probably most accessible to you given where you were coming from, but even City Beach (which is right off of downtown....and not as big) is busier than Macintosh.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Decorah, Yellow River Forest, Prairie Du Chein, Lanesboro MN are all great spots in the driftless area that Al mentioned earlier.

PDC is a really underrated spot. My in-laws park their boat at the Winneshiek Marina for the summer and they go down there every weekend. Wife and I get over there 3-4 times per summer and always have fun. Lively night life, great access to the Mississippi, and lots of parks nearby.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
PDC is a really underrated spot. My in-laws park their boat at the Winneshiek Marina for the summer and they go down there every weekend. Wife and I get over there 3-4 times per summer and always have fun. Lively night life, great access to the Mississippi, and lots of parks nearby.

We get over there once or twice in the summer and once in the fall for the leaves. Always a fun trip.

Reactions: Al_4_State

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'll throw in some love for western Iowa's Loess Hills. Some surprisingly good hiking, with great scenery and wildlife at Waubonsie, Hitchcock, Preperation Canyon and Stone state parks respectively. De Soto bend is also a neat place that's near the hills. The Riverton Wildlife Area offers something like 300 bird species that spend time there throughout the year, many that are rare and in high conservation need,it's one of the most ecologically diverse spots in the state. The Loess Hills scenic byway travels the western border of the state and can essentially get you to all state parks and sends you though lots of small towns. It's all also takes you through the Omaha metro, so you can kind of get the best of both worlds by seeing what the Hills have to offer as well as taking in all of the opportunities a larger city brings.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've only been to Okoboji once, so hard for me to make an assessment on which area is "wealthier". All I know is that Clear Lake seems to attract its share of "wealth" from central Iowa. Ruan's summer home is there, Kingland (i.e...Kingland Capital on Lincoln Way, Ames) has their summer home there, when Paul Rhodes was still coaching at ISU he had a house there, etc. That said, it could be a simple as CL is a lot more accessible to central Iowa given it is less than 2 hrs straight up I-35. Makes it very easy to get away for the weekend.

I think you hit it on the head. About 1.5 hours from Des Moines to CL, about 3 hours from Des Moines to Okoboji. That's a big factor, plus ease of getting around and congestion in the summer. CL is plenty busy, but in the summer on weekends Okoboji is really congested. West Okoboji is a pretty unique public lake in Iowa in terms of depth and clarity. I don't think there's anything else like it in Iowa.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good stuff here, everyone. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions and all the other little detours this thread has taken.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
When the water level allows during the summer there is a car ferry between Cassville, Wisconsin and a random area north of Balltown.