Who Should we hire After Prohm if he left after this year or next?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Not in any order...

Craig Smith (Utah State)
Charlie Henry (asst at Alabama; former ISU asst)
Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro)
Kyle Keller (Stephen F Austin)
David Padgett (former Louisville interim HC)
Scott Nagy (Wright State)
Dane Fife (Michigan State asst)

I don't want any of these up and comers because, that is what we have now in csp...I want an "Established Head Coach"...like when we hired Johnny Orr away from Michigan.....I want a mbb team that wins conference championships and beats KU every year at both venues!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
There are dozens of coaches who can do what Prohm has done here, especially when gifted 6....6....that's right 6 NBA players when he got to campus. Crazy people think we have too high of expectations when the previous coach was able to build a roster that included 6 NBA players. Our current team doesn't even have 6 big 12 caliber starters, honestly not even 5, that includes Tyrese. Crazy he's considered a really good recruiter and when the guy before him hated recruiting and was more or less blackballed on the trail due to his NBA aspirations, yet still put together a much more competitive roster.

All I can say my friend is....I Agree

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't want any of these up and comers because, that is what we have now in csp...I want an "Established Head Coach"...like when we hired Johnny Orr away from Michigan.....I want a mbb team that wins conference championships and beats KU every year at both venues!!
So you want something that literally hasn't been done consistently? That's very wishful thinking.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

First, your criteria is impossible and beyond unrealistic.

Second, we got Johnny because he was paid **** money and he wasn't appreciated at Michigan. Now mid major coaches are paid really good money and there are no established head coaches that fit that bill.

It's been 40 ******* years since we hired Johnny. That scenario will NEVER happen again.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

That has never legitimately been done consistently in our entire history.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Bill Self?

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Does Beilein becoming available change our scenario at all???

I thought about that when I read that he and the Cavs have talked about parting ways before the end of the All Star break. If you're looking for credibility and a proven track record he'd be a home run hire. I don't hold it against him for failing so hard in Cleveland. Yeah, it's been a disaster but that franchise is an unholy mess anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Unfortunately Pollard doesn’t appear to be capable of hiring a p5 coach with experience.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I thought about that when I read that he and the Cavs have talked about parting ways before the end of the All Star break. If you're looking for credibility and a proven track record he'd be a home run hire. I don't hold it against him for failing so hard in Cleveland. Yeah, it's been a disaster but that franchise is an unholy mess anyway.
The only reason I give pause to Beilein is age. At 67, he's not much of a flight risk to a blue blood or anything, but you have to assume you're looking for another coach in 4 years or so regardless of his performance. Can't go forever.

• Agree
Reactions: TexCyted and CTTB78

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Piling on but the last thing is something that happened twice 20 years ago.

I'd just go with having a loss at Hilton be a rarity and winning a few road conference games.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
First, your criteria is impossible and beyond unrealistic.

Second, we got Johnny because he was paid **** money and he wasn't appreciated at Michigan. Now mid major coaches are paid really good money and there are no established head coaches that fit that bill.

It's been 40 ******* years since we hired Johnny. That scenario will NEVER happen again.

It’s not entirely far fetched. I’ll give you the Kansas part. All it takes is a rift between the administration and the coach, coaches pick up camp and leave. How do you explain Frank Martin leaving Kansas State for South Carolina, Oliver Purnell to DePaul, Mike Anderson leaving Columbia for Fayetteville?

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Maybe Roy Williams will be ready for a change if we want him. I wonder how he would do recruiting Iowa kids to an Iowa school?

• Funny
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Beilein...he'll be done in Cleveland just in time to come to Ames.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott34

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe Roy Williams will be ready for a change if we want him. I wonder how he would do recruiting Iowa kids to an Iowa school?

giphy.gif