Iowa off the beaten path

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
In Council Bluffs/Omaha - Henry Doorly Zoo, Union Pacific Railroad museum, Lewis and Clark Monument, Pottawatamie County Squirrel Cage Jail, General Dodge House, Black Angel Monument (by same sculptor who did Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial, memorial to Mrs. Dodge and her recurring dream).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Almost every town of any size has some type of feasible during the summer or fall, example Centerville has pancake days in Sept. every year. Great parade, and free pancakes. Little kids love stuff like that, and its all free.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
In Council Bluffs/Omaha - Henry Doorly Zoo, Union Pacific Railroad museum, Lewis and Clark Monument, Pottawatamie County Squirrel Cage Jail, General Dodge House, Black Angel Monument (by same sculptor who did Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial, memorial to Mrs. Dodge and her recurring dream).

The sculptor of the Black Angel also did the Minute Man statue at Concord, Mass.
The statue is solid bronze and has the beautiful patina traditional of aged bronze. Back in the late 50's, the city fathers managed - just in the nick of time - to halt a brownie troop, well-armed with cleaning materials and paint, determined to clean and beautify the statue. I don't remember what color they thought would look good on the statue.

Also along the Missouri River is the Loess Hills Scenic Byway. An excellent guidebook is herehttps://en.calameo.com/read/0045292366da5c7d75a43, I really didn't appreciate them when growing up and, now that I've moved away, I wish I could spend more time there.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Highly recommend Boone’s Scenic Valley Railway and Ledges State Park.

Iowa Falls features a scenic river trip.

The Cedar Valley Nature Trail is a nice ride with plenty of stops.

Downtown Pella is beautiful.

Marshalltown has some of the best meth labs in the Midwest.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I wouldn't make it a destination but if you happen to be driving up to southeastern Minnesota or northern Wisconsin, drive highway 26 in the northeastern corner of Iowa. Living in Iowa my entire life I never knew how steep and borderline mountainous this part of Iowa is until we were driving back from La Crosse last fall. You'd swear you were in another part of the country except for the patches of cornfield on some flat parts of hills.

Reactions: Al_4_State

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Fontana Park in Hazleton, IA has tons of things to do. From live animals including buffalo, eagles, and a bear to name just a few to fishing, hiking, biking, camping, and even eco friendly cabins. Pretty cool place in the middle of nowhere. My kids also loved the real beehive in the interpretive center. Other than the overnight cabins and camping, everything is free.
https://www.mycountyparks.com/County/Buchanan/Park/Fontana-Park.aspx

If you wanted to do an overnight, you could also hit Backbone State Park in Strawberry Point which is very close by. That one I believe has an entrance fee since it is a state park. Some of the coolest trails and caves in the state.

Reactions: Macloney

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Driftless Area is Iowa's best getaway destination, IMO. Decorah is a great base of operations for that. You have paved bike trails: Trout Run in Decorah, Prairie Farmer from Calmar to Cresco, and Root River in Fillmore County, MN. You have the best mountain biking in Iowa right in Decorah. You canoe/kayak the Upper Iowa. The stretch from Kendalville to Bluffton is stunning. It doesn’t seem like Iowa at all. The Yellow River south of Waukon is beautiful too.

There are several waterfalls. Dunning Springs in Decorah is super accessible. Malanaphy Springs by Bluffton is a bit of a hike in, but worth it. Black Falls by Cresco is on private property, but visible from the road. It’s the most traditional waterfall (a stream running over a cliff) of the bunch.

There are caves (Niagra, Spook, Mystery), which can be a lot of fun with kids. The trout fishing is outstanding as well.

Tough to go wrong up here.

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Another vote for Backbone. Group of friends went last year for a weekend, camped two nights and went golfing and then exploring during the day and had a blast

Reactions: Macloney

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wouldn't make it a destination but if you happen to be driving up to southeastern Minnesota or northern Wisconsin, drive highway 26 in the northeastern corner of Iowa. Living in Iowa my entire life I never knew how steep and borderline mountainous this part of Iowa is until we were driving back from La Crosse last fall. You'd swear you were in another part of the country except for the patches of cornfield on some flat parts of hills.

Not on Hwy 26 but there's even some valleys just NE of Fayette that are kind of insane.

Reactions: wxman1 and Macloney

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
If you love music, Codfish Hollow has to be on your bucket list. Still my favorite place in the world to see a live show, it's incredibly intimate and unique. The Maquoketa Caves are worth a visit if you're going there up there as well. Makes for a solid weekend trip.

I've only been to Decorah a couple of times, but seems like there is a lot to offer there. The wife and I are actually going up there in a couple weeks for a little get away and I'm looking forward to hitting up Pulpit and TG and checking out some of the local parks and hikes.

I've always enjoyed stopping in Pella as well. Some nice shops in downtown (Jaarsma Bakery is a must) and recreational activities at Lake Red Rock. Last time we went there we actually drove to nearby Knoxville to check out Peace Tree and got a nice dinner at a spot downtown.

Plenty of things to do near Okoboji/Spirit Lake as well. Gets pretty saturated over the 4th of July and few other holidays during the summer but when it's not overly busy it's a lot of fun.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Take a trip along the old Lincoln Highway or Jefferson Highway in Iowa, and go through a bunch of the small towns.

Reactions: Beernuts

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The Kite Festival is really cool. I actually know the couple that created this and put it on each year. They featured last year's event on CBS This Morning:

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday-morning/video/RInWHAtxEq5mTwQ3DtyirH0pguYKrMTE/go-fly-a-kite-/

That said, I'd gently push back that Clear Lake wouldn't exactly be "off the beaten path". It is the largest spring feed lake in Iowa and the population triples during the summer months from tourist traffic. Sometimes it feels like half of Des Moines is up there on holiday weekends.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The Kite Festival is really cool. I actually know the couple that created this and put it on each year. They featured last year's event on CBS This Morning:

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday-morning/video/RInWHAtxEq5mTwQ3DtyirH0pguYKrMTE/go-fly-a-kite-/

That said, I'd gently push back that Clear Lake wouldn't exactly be "off the beaten path". It is the largest spring feed lake in Iowa and the population triples during the summer months from tourist traffic. Sometimes it feels like half of Des Moines is up there on holiday weekends.

Is Clear Lake bigger than West Okoboji?

That had some sort of designation as one of the few types of lakes in the world or something.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Is Clear Lake bigger than West Okoboji?

That had some sort of designation as one of the few types of lakes in the world or something.

As a whole, the NW Iowa lakes are bigger. On its own, I’d guess West Okoboji and Clear Lake are similar sized.

Legend has it that West Okoboji is one of only a few lakes in the world that are “blue water lakes.” I don’t think that’s a real scientific term and is more legend than anything.

Okoboji is nicer and wealthier than Clear Lake, but Clear Lake is still really nice and has its share of money there too.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
If the outdoors is a thing Backbone State Park is pretty nice.

Float the Maquoketa River around Monticello.
was going to suggest backbone. it's practically my backyard lol
also Maquoketa caves if you haven't been is a cool day trip.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
have you never ridden RAGBRAI? :D:D thats the #1 way to realize Iowa is not as flat as people think lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron