Dan Winters (Channel 13) Facebook post

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What a horrible situation.

I can't help but deepy feel for their surviving daughter....the trauma she experienced as her own dad tried to choke her out, leave, and then find out not only he kills himself but also your brother and mom.

I also cant imagine the challenge her and others will have at the memorial. It appears all three family are part of the service.

Remember a few years back when that guy by Iowa City killed his family then drove into a bridge? I remember the faith community struggling with how to navigate that grieving.

I don't think it is just the faith community that struggles in those situations, I would venture to guess that everyone struggles with those situations.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I have an ex-wife that I worried about this happening. I'm 100% serious. Mental issues. Thank god it only turned into self-destructive behavior but I've see a lot of ****. Nothing close to this...devastating.

How one can have faith in a god after this is beyond me. Is god an *******? You decide.

How/why did you get that far in a relationship with someone who you could see had serious issues?

I had a girlfriend in college that had the same sort of mental instability as your ex wife but that was cut off at 3 months of dating rather than seeing that thing through to marriage.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't think it is just the faith community that struggles in those situations, I would venture to guess that everyone struggles with those situations.
Oh, agree. Horrible for all....I just meant for the Iowa City family I believe they were Catholic and the decision to have all family at funeral (the father) created some concerns based on their specific belief sets.

The idea of forgiveness/grace that is usually part of Christian faith would be challenging, especially days after (and for this young woman her own father)

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
How/why did you get that far in a relationship with someone who you could see had serious issues?

I had a girlfriend in college that had the same sort of mental instability as your ex wife but that was cut off at 3 months of dating rather than seeing that thing through to marriage.
Mental health issues don't always show up until you're an adult.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Obviously I don’t know the specifics of the post you quoted, but mental health issues aren’t necessarily around from birth. They can manifest at any time. It’s why we talk about people “just snapping”.

Quite possible those issues weren’t present until later in the relationship. Love is also blinding.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Obviously I don’t know the specifics of the post you quoted, but mental health issues aren’t necessarily around from birth. They can manifest at any time. It’s why we talk about people “just snapping”.

Quite possible those issues weren’t present until later in the relationship. Love is also blinding.
or they get worse.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Mental health issues don't always show up until you're an adult.

I honestly did not know that. Thanks guys

• Friendly
Reactions: JP4CY and aauummm

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I have an ex-wife that I worried about this happening. I'm 100% serious. Mental issues. Thank god it only turned into self-destructive behavior but I've see a lot of ****. Nothing close to this...devastating.

How one can have faith in a god after this is beyond me. Is god an *******? You decide.

Without turning this into a spiritual/religious conversation, this is why:

Because there are two sides. Good and evil. It wasn’t the good side (God) that led to this, it was evil (Satan/the devil/Lucifer). People doubting God because of evil is exactly what Satan/the devil/Lucifer wants.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Simple answer. It wasn't immediately apparent to anyone. What started out as post-partum depression escalated into mental instability...alcohol...drugs.

I suppose some would say, God's will. :D

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Without turning this into a spiritual/religious conversation, this is why:

Because there are two sides. Good and evil. It wasn’t the good side (God) that led to this, it was evil (Satan/the devil/Lucifer). People doubting God because of evil is exactly what Satan/the devil/Lucifer wants.

I needed a laugh after this horrible story. TY

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

I'm guessing it was a gradual thing in @Cydkar case. If your girlfriend was clearly bat **** from the jump, it was probably fairly easy to end things after just a few months. If there weren't major red flags early on and you fell for her, dated for a long time, and then started seeing signs that gradually got worse, it would have been a different story. Not very easy to just be like "yeah I can't handle this I'm done peace out" when you're in a legit relationship with somebody no matter how messed up they are.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Just to add to the discussion about mental illness and relationships. I have a close friend who was in a relationship with and got married to someone that had traumatic experiences during their childhood and a general lack of stability throughout their life up until college. The relationship and life situation brought them a great deal of stability which brought up a lot of the trauma from their childhood because they were then able to process it which in turn triggered mental health issues that were fairly severe. Mental health issues are often not linear.

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dealing with a friend now that was stable for the last 30 years. Dr decided to change meds for some odd reason and it has been 3-4 years of hell for me let alone his family. Have been unable to stabilize him since no matter what they do. Had a small incident happen almost a year ago and it had ground him to a halt and has driven everyone in his life to the brink.

Never know what or how people will respond.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Some people hide it well.
I just barely dodged a situation like that right out of college. I can only imagine how badly that would have gone.

• Friendly
Reactions: CloneFan4

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Do you stop believing in intelligence when something stupid happens? Or are you able to differentiate between the two and acknowledge that something stupid happening doesn’t mean there is no intelligence anywhere?

It’s no different with good and evil.

I 100% believe in good and evil.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Oh, agree. Horrible for all....I just meant for the Iowa City family I believe they were Catholic and the decision to have all family at funeral (the father) created some concerns based on their specific belief sets.

The idea of forgiveness/grace that is usually part of Christian faith would be challenging, especially days after (and for this young woman her own father)

I agree. That angle is tough definitely. That is forcing the situation to happen immediately versus a more usual timeframe.