Another Female Teacher 'Incident'

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
There is a 20 year old law in Iowa that states that any teacher or therapist that is a mandatory reporter are not eligible for suspended sentences in sexual abuse cases, which makes incarceration mandatory. It has always not been followed, however, as the article below indicates. I am not sure that all teachers are aware of this law. The age of sexual consent in Iowa is 16, but you can be charged even if that student is 18 years old because of the power dynamic. This law has even been applied to adults working in business that has sex with 16-17 old minors if that person is their direct supervisor.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...a-teacher-sex-abuser-under-scrutiny/89998024/

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
There is a 20 year old law in Iowa that states that any teacher or therapist that is a mandatory reporter are not eligible for suspended sentences in sexual abuse cases, which makes incarceration mandatory. It has always not been followed, however, as the article below indicates. I am not sure that all teachers are aware of this law. The age of sexual consent in Iowa is 16, but you can be charged even if that student is 18 years old because of the power dynamic. This law has even been applied to adults working in business that has sex with 16-17 old minors if that person is their direct supervisor.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...a-teacher-sex-abuser-under-scrutiny/89998024/

I believe Iowa law also has a rule on length of which a student within a district has been out of the school. Read that there was like a 22 year old elementary teacher (male) dating a 19 year old who had graduated 6 months earlier from the high school who had his license suspended.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I believe Iowa law also has a rule on length of which a student within a district has been out of the school. Read that there was like a 22 year old elementary teacher (male) dating a 19 year old who had graduated 6 months earlier from the high school who had his license suspended.

I believe that time frame is 30 days after graduating but I could be wrong

Last edited:

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)

reminds me of the Ogden band teacher and his flautist from 20-odd years ago. last time i heard, they were still happily married.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Do women not read the news or are they simply seduced by 15 year olds?
tenor.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Take away any macho ness or preconceived notion as a teenager in that situation. Now, as a middle aged adult I wonder, what would the penalty have been for a man who did that to teenage women?
(Yes, I know women get the short end of the gender equality stick in general)

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I would think there is usually some sort of underlying mental issue involved that just simply paying attention to the news is not going to fix. One of the biggest issues we have in this Country is mental health funding, and the unfortunate stigma that is tied to just about every mental health issue.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
A Teacher on Hulu turned out to be a good little series about this type of thing. At first I was worried it was putting it in too good of a light but it covered all of the immediate and lasting negative effects really well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Imagine being her husband after this story breaks. I’d probably pack up and move to a new state.

If a male teacher was doing this exact same thing with girls, I’d guess 5-10yrs and lots of death threats.

Just the accusation of this ruined a guy's career in my junior high almost 30 years ago. I never had the guy for a teacher, but friends of mine did and they were pissed for the teacher. I didn't even really know about the situation outside 4th or 5th-hand rumors until I was in high school and one of the girls who was involved in the situation told me she was one of the accusers, expecting me to ostracize her like everyone else had done to all the girls who accused him (which I didn't - I was far too removed from the situation to make any judgments, and we ended up becoming friends after that). To this day I have no idea what really happened, and I don't really care to. All I know is an accusation from a group of girls, whether true or not, ended his career as a teacher.

There are all kinds of kinks, bro. ;)

Ara ara

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There are all kinds of kinks, bro. ;)
Our culture is a crazy thing. If a guy did that to girls, those girls wouldn’t tell a soul most likely and have some stuff to deal with. Those boys I guarantee you became instant legends in that school.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Take away any macho ness or preconceived notion as a teenager in that situation. Now, as a middle aged adult I wonder, what would the penalty have been for a man who did that to teenage women?
(Yes, I know women get the short end of the gender equality stick in general)

Much worse, and, right or wrong, I'm ok with that. I'd be lying if I said having a teenage daughter doesn't sway my opinion.

Even though the teacher has the power in the situation, I think most people would assume that when the teacher is female, the student could either consent or at least have the physical strength to decline the advances (in most cases). When the teacher is a male, the possibility that it was a rape creeps into everyone's head, even if it were consensual.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Imagine being her husband after this story breaks. I’d probably pack up and move to a new state.

If a male teacher was doing this exact same thing with girls, I’d guess 5-10yrs and lots of death threats.
IIRC, there is someone who posts here who has gone through this exact situation as a husband. As someone who has been on the other end of an affair, I can say that I'm not ashamed and didn't need to change my life. I just got rid of the issue, moved on, and have learned alot/become a much better person because of it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Teachers sleeping with students is the dirty little secret that has been around forever in most schools. The difference today unlike 20 to 30 years ago the teacher is brought up on charges. Before when it happened the teacher was quietly told to resign and leave the district, many felt it was better for the student and the district to not let the public know that they had a pervert teaching their children.

As an educator, I find it intolerable and have reported one myself to a principle when told by a girl I was coaching that her sister was sleeping with the varsity girls coach. Instead of being thanked, I was told to never bring it up again, or I would no longer be teaching at the school, the AD who I had first talked too about the situation said, "he knows, but the coach is being protected by the administration, and there is nothing he can do about it. "

Its out there, and its still going on, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
My third grade male teacher Mr Woodcock (yes real name) got busted a few times and spent around 15-20 years in prison for molesting boys. I was a fat little kid thank goodness and I think I knew one of his victims but nobody ever said anything

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron