XFL

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Cardale Jones (D.C.) and the Houston QB have been decent but other than that from what I've seen the QB play is WOOF!

It was one of the problems with the AAF last year. Hate to say it, but there's a reason why these QBs aren't on NFL rosters.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Cardale Jones (D.C.) and the Houston QB have been decent but other than that from what I've seen the QB play is WOOF!
They need better QB’s if this league is to survive. You’re only gonna keep so many eyes on every game when they are 17-9 types of games. Need some scoring but the QB’s are so bad for the most part.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm a Bears fan. Its my own dumbass fault for choosing to root for a Trestman coached team

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm a Bears fan. Its my own dumbass fault for choosing to root for a Trestman coached team
There was a timeout he called while being on the mic. He's like "should we call a timeout, maybe we should, yeah let's call a timeout. Timeout timeout."
(Hes not looking or interacting with any ref)
He then walks over the ref and quasi frantically calls timeout.

• Funny
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They need better QB’s if this league is to survive. You’re only gonna keep so many eyes on every game when they are 17-9 types of games. Need some scoring but the QB’s are so bad for the most part.

The QB-focused style of play (and the fact teams can't seem to find ways to win without at least above average if not elite QB play) is one of the things I dislike about the NFL. I like college where teams are more creative and find ways around having only a mediocre quarterback, if not worse, but still find a winning style.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If scoring was the main component determining success the Arena league would have stayed afloat.

The problem any football league is going to have (which isn't the NFL) is getting fans to adopt a team as "theirs." If you can't get the fans invested you're toast.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If scoring was the main component determining success the Arena league would have stayed afloat.

The problem any football league is going to have (which isn't the NFL) is getting fans to adopt a team as "theirs." If you can't get the fans invested you're toast.

Oh wow, the original Arena Football League folded a few months ago.

I did not even realize until now.

There are still knock-offs around, but that is really the end of an era.

Honestly XFL has some really good ideas. I’m just over football right now. I keep trying to watch but just can’t

So much good basketball right now.

You are right that one can end up "footballed out."

I bet that probably has helped kill all the other spring football leagues.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The quality of football is just bad. And there's no stars.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This may have been discussed, I haven't read the thread...

I have a bone to pick. There was a big fuss about a 25 second play clock and increasing pace of play. Well that doesn't start until the ball is placed. When I've been paying attention, it takes 12-15 seconds on average to start the play clock. There was one instance where it took 29 seconds for the play clock to start!

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The QB-focused style of play (and the fact teams can't seem to find ways to win without at least above average if not elite QB play) is one of the things I dislike about the NFL. I like college where teams are more creative and find ways around having only a mediocre quarterback, if not worse, but still find a winning style.

This is one of the things I don't get about XFL strategy. As far as I can tell none of these teams are running more traditionally "college" style offenses - option, spread rushing attack, a lot of speed and swinging the ball side to side - as opposed to air raid, attacking by pass.

There are lots of QBs coming out of NCAA who won a lot of games doing this and who don't fit in the NFL - one of these XFL teams should give them a chance

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
After week 2 I do think this league has a chance for viability (at least for a few years), because the fan interest is there. But these offenses are going to have to get better. QB play has been bad, and when they actually do throw the ball well the WRs are dropping passes that absolutely have to be caught. Passing games in general have been so bad that defenses have had the ability to stack against the run, which is why there isn't much of a running game either.

To summarize, the interest is there, but the product is going to have to get better or they're going to lose the interest.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy and cyfan21

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The quality of football is just bad. And there's no stars.

I think it's at least better than the first XFL where they were trying to WWF style everything when it was really just very sloppy.

Some good ideas like these kickoffs as others have said and I want a recording of Reggie Smith's conversations with his cohorts from that night in Manhattan.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, more possessions like we've seen at the end of this Dallas-LA game and we can start talking about how the defenses need to improve.

Reactions: cyfan21