Thad Matta - ISU Head Coach next year

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There is a group of fans that have dislike Prohm from the minute he was hired because they thought we deserved a "name" hire, or just want Hoiberg back. As they say, you never want to be the guy that follows a legend.
Fred was quite possibly the best Iowa State coach of all time and people are upset that Prohm isn't better. I understand the frustrations and agree it shouldn't be this bad, but I also think everyone needs to see how things play out. See how next year goes. We have a nice class coming in and that's exactly what needed to happen. Prohm might not have done a great job creating this year's team and softening the blow from losing the talent we did, but it sure looks like he's done a good job so far of starting to build next year's team.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am not a fan of CSP because I think he has underperformed or just been plain awful each and everyone of his seasons here.

Maybe THT and Lard and Wiggs left because they did not like the coach. All 3 should probably still be here, none are. Why is that?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am not a fan of CSP because I think he has underperformed or just been plain awful each and everyone of his seasons here.

Maybe THT and Lard and Wiggs left because they did not like the coach. All 3 should probably still be here, none are. Why is that?
Lard was continuously getting into trouble off the court. He was doing it in a variety of ways, whether that be the police, classroom issues, being late to practice, etc. It's too bad that he couldn't figure it out.

With the G-League becoming more prominent, both Lindell and THT were talented enough to where they could go make 40-60 grand a year playing in the G-League instead of coming back to college. It didn't used to be that way, as the pay wasn't as good and the then D-League wasn't used the way it currently is. They have a televised summer league, a tournament at the end, and tons of coverage on social media. Both of those guys made decisions that they believed were best for them and I doubt either of them left because Coach Prohm was the head coach at Iowa State. It sucks that all three guys left the same year and were not staggered.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I can't believe anybody would question why Lard is no longer here. Prohm bent over backwards for him.

Fine, take Lard out of the conversation. Why did bot THT and Wiggs leave. Both League Guys who may never make the NBA. Why not developer 1 more year in College? They choose that over CSP. I ask Why. Why has he seemed to butt heads with so many players while here. Why?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Lard was continuously getting into trouble off the court. He was doing it in a variety of ways, whether that be the police, classroom issues, being late to practice, etc. It's too bad that he couldn't figure it out.

With the G-League becoming more prominent, both Lindell and THT were talented enough to where they could go make 40-60 grand a year playing in the G-League instead of coming back to college. It didn't used to be that way, as the pay wasn't as good and the then D-League wasn't used the way it currently is. They have a televised summer league, a tournament at the end, and tons of coverage on social media. Both of those guys made decisions that they believed were best for them and I doubt either of them left because Coach Prohm was the head coach at Iowa State. It sucks that all three guys left the same year and were not staggered.

Sounds great, but IMO something ain't right in Denmark.

Why did we lose Ben Carlson to Wisconsin?

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Fine, take Lard out of the conversation. Why did bot THT and Wiggs leave. Both League Guys who may never make the NBA. Why not developer 1 more year in College? They choose that over CSP. I ask Why. Why has he seemed to butt heads with so many players while here. Why?

Read the first sentence of the second paragraph in the post right above yours...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
THT got drafted and was talked about as being one of the most interesting players drafted last year due to his age / upside. Probably could've came back but incredibly hard to convince a kid from inner city Chicago to come back to college when he could be making tons of money playing in the NBA.

Lindell hurt his foot and missed 25% of the season and came back at a time that the team was actually playing well. THT was playing well and a guy name Tyrese Halliburton (current lottery pick) was playing in Lindell's spot. If CSP chose to start Lindell over either of those guys who were playing well, people would've came after him. He chose to have Lindell come off the bench and he flourished, winning the 6th man of the year last year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sounds great, but IMO something ain't right in Denmark.

Why did we lose Ben Carlson to Wisconsin?
He was never really THAT high on us. We've actually never really recruited the state of Minnesota very well. We ended up getting Foster and 3 other guys and currently have a top-25 recruiting class coming in next year.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

THT got drafted, but I wasn't aware him and Prohm butted heads. Seems Steve chose THT and Hali over putting Wigginton back in the starting line up.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
He was never really THAT high on us. We've actually never really recruited the state of Minnesota very well. We ended up getting Foster and 3 other guys and currently have a top-25 recruiting class coming in next year.

Its true that we have never recruited Minnesota that well. I understand the reasoning behind passing on McKinley Wright at the time but I don’t think Prohm would make that same decision if he had to do it over again. That could have opened some more doors in the AAU circuit up here.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Its true that we have never recruited Minnesota that well. I understand the reasoning behind passing on McKinley Wright at the time but I don’t think Prohm would make that same decision if he had to do it over again. That could have opened some more doors in the AAU circuit up here.
Definitely agree. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Prohm's recruited pretty good overall, but hasn't been able to keep guys from leaving early, which is going to be the key. The most important thing is to have relative success next year in order for him to stay around to be able to keep coaching that team and be able to add transfers / another good recruiting class the following year.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Anyone who was counting on Lard this season is nuts. Even if he stayed, what were his prior contributions? The dude was loaded with talent but did not have it in his head. (which is very unfortunate)

THT popped up pretty high in the draft boards early last season. If you were counting on him for this season that is on you as well.

If you were counting on LW this season, you should be committed. He almost left after his freshman season.

I can kind of feel like someone is slipping me crazy juice when I continue to see these arguments made for the 2019-2020 season.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

THT was leaving as soon as he knew he was getting drafted. He didn't want to be in Ames. The Wiggs situation was mismanaged, yes, from an outside point of view. We have no idea what was goin on inside the program. Also we knew going into last season there was a slim chance of him coming back. From the sounds of it this group likes playing for CSP.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Definitely agree. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Prohm's recruited pretty good overall, but hasn't been able to keep guys from leaving early, which is going to be the key. The most important thing is to have relative success next year in order for him to stay around to be able to keep coaching that team and be able to add transfers / another good recruiting class the following year.

What coach in the country is keeping kids from leaving early? Most kids do go early if they know they are going to get drafted.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Ernie.jpg
Checkmate.. Okay one of two men that make me feel better

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
THT has already played in 2 games for the Lakers. If not for the foot injury maybe it would be more.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
There is a group of fans that have dislike Prohm from the minute he was hired because they thought we deserved a "name" hire, or just want Hoiberg back. As they say, you never want to be the guy that follows a legend.

Exactly. And thank you for writing this.

I've been called out for calling these same people out, or even just asking them to be honest about their antipathy for CSP they've had from the very start, but I stand by my claim, which is exactly the same as yours.

H@ll, CSP gets five times the grief for losing in the first round of an NCAA tournament to a much better team than CFH did for losing to a much worse team. I honestly don't think that CFH would have gotten the grief if he had beaten an 11 seed in Providence (had they beaten North Carolina in the 1st round back in '14, and they almost did) to make the Sweet 16 that CSP has from some people for beating a 12 seed seed to make his Sweet 16.