Removing Stuck Bolt

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Hey CF... need your help. Have a long bolt I'm trying to remove, probably about 5" long or so. It runs through the mount shown in the picture and caps off with a nut on the other end.

I have the nut removed, the bolt spins (with a lot of force) but is wedged into that mount so good I can't get it out. Unfortunately, the end of the bolt is not in a spot that is easily accessible to use a punch and hammer, unless the punch is something like 2 feet long. I've managed to get it about 3/4" out using a long punch so far but I don't have the angle to continue pushing it down in the mount. I believe the bolt is slightly bent due to circumstances leading to its removal. There is full access to the bolt hex head.

How would you remove it? I'm thinking to heat the mount with a torch and using a slide hammer for my next try. What say you?

s-l1600.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Hd50014

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
caps on on the other end of what? Piece of wood? If it is in wood and you are using a torch have a bucket of water handy.

Could you get a sawzall in there to cut it off and then go back to you hammer and punch method? Need pics of actual situation to see what you are up against.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Hey CF... need your help. Have a long bolt I'm trying to remove, probably about 5" long or so. It runs through the mount shown in the picture and caps off with a nut on the other end.

I have the nut removed, the bolt spins (with a lot of force) but is wedged into that mount so good I can't get it out. Unfortunately, the end of the bolt is not in a spot that is easily accessible to use a punch and hammer, unless the punch is something like 2 feet long. I've managed to get it about 3/4" out using a long punch so far but I don't have the angle to continue pushing it down in the mount. I believe the bolt is slightly bent due to circumstances leading to its removal. There is full access to the bolt hex head.

How would you remove it? I'm thinking to heat the mount with a torch and using a slide hammer for my next try. What say you?

s-l1600.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me like a sleeve welded in there not a bolt.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me like a sleeve welded in there not a bolt.

THat's the sleeve in the picture... the bolt runs through the length of it... ultimately attaching to the chassis of a snowmobile on each side.

caps on on the other end of what? Piece of wood? If it is in wood and you are using a torch have a bucket of water handy.

Could you get a sawzall in there to cut it off and then go back to you hammer and punch method? Need pics of actual situation to see what you are up against.

Aluminum snowmobile chassis with plastic cover on one side. Not at home to get a pic of the real thing. Just kind of troubleshooting in my head. Will get some when I get home. Sawzall is going to be the last result, then punch through the way I have easy access to.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
This is what I would do using a pair of vise grips and a wonder bar. Clamp the vise grip down and then use the wonder bar to put some outward pressure on the vise grips as you turn them counter clockwise. Go nice and slow a quarter or half turn at a time. 30D452ED-7A0A-4A6D-A897-74C46314D91A.jpeg

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Call a professional out. As soon as he completes the work, kill him and wrap him up in that tarp in the picture. Then, you can tow him to the middle of nowhere with your repaired snowmobile.

Oh, and call him on a burner. Don't be sloppy.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
This is what I would do using a pair of vise grips and a wonder bar. Clamp the vise grip down and then use the wonder bar to put some outward pressure on the vise grips as you turn them counter clockwise. Go nice and slow a quarter or half turn at a time. View attachment 70188

Ooooh. It might be one of my better options given my setup.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is what I would do using a pair of vise grips and a wonder bar. Clamp the vise grip down and then use the wonder bar to put some outward pressure on the vise grips as you turn them counter clockwise. Go nice and slow a quarter or half turn at a time. View attachment 70188

Given our engineering prowess, I would have been upset if there wasn't at least one drawing posted on here.

This looks like a solid idea, BTW

Reactions: wxman1 and g4ce