Thad Matta - ISU Head Coach next year

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
I just find it funny that some don't think we will be better next year and think it'll be impossible when we literally went from the worst team in the conference, to conference tournament champs, a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and ranked 24th in the final AP poll.

Now, I do not expect us to make that jump again next year, but I do not think we will be a below .500 team again next season.

At this point in both 2018 and 2011 we knew things were going to improve the next year so there wasn't much reason to get too down about how things were going. I just don't see it this year. And without Ty, this team is probably worse than '11 or '18 so we have a bigger hole to dig out of.

To turn things around next year we need at least two or maybe all three of these to happen:

1) Very successful grad transfer recruiting season.
2) Multiple current players massively improve over the offseason.
3) The incoming freshman class proves to be major contributors immediately.

Is it impossible? Well, no. But the odds of everything falling perfectly in to place are not great. This feels much more like the McDermott era than it does 2011 or 2018.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: isu83 and Cyman88

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
And his transfers also have included,

Jordan Ashton
Ray Kosongo
Merril Holden
Darrell Bowie
Hans Braase
Jeff Beverly
Zoran Talley
Michael Jacobson
Caleb Grill
Prentiss Nixon

He doesn't have a good track record with transfers no matter how you want to spin it.

Caleb Grill is not a transfer. Why do you include him?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I just find it funny that some don't think we will be better next year and think it'll be impossible when we literally went from the worst team in the conference, to conference tournament champs, a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and ranked 24th in the final AP poll.

Now, I do not expect us to make that jump again next year, but I do not think we will be a below .500 team again next season.
Nobody knows what next year will bring. Will KSU and OSU suck balls again next year? If they were even average we would have 1 win in conference. We won't be 0.500 in conference, I'd bet on that.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
And his transfers also have included,

Jordan Ashton
Ray Kosongo
Merril Holden
Darrell Bowie
Hans Braase
Jeff Beverly
Zoran Talley
Michael Jacobson
Prentiss Nixon

He doesn't have a good track record with transfers no matter how you want to spin it.

prentiss just shot again

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
At this point in both 2018 and 2011 we knew things were going to improve the next year so there wasn't much reason to get too down about how things were going. I just don't see it this year. And without Ty, this team is probably worse than '11 or '18 so we have a bigger hole to dig out of.

To turn things around next year we need at least two or maybe all three of these to happen:

1) Very successful grad transfer recruiting season.
2) Multiple current players massively improve over the offseason.
3) The incoming freshman class proves to be major contributors immediately.

Is it impossible? Well, no. But the odds of everything falling perfectly in to place are not great. This feels much more like the McDermott era than it does 2011 or 2018.
I don't think any of us thought Lindell, Lard, THT, and Tyrese were going to leave so quickly. Sure Tyrese was here this year but I'm going to assume most of us thought at the least Lard and THT were going to be back, both who would've had All-Big 12 aspirations if things went well. Those two would've completely changed this team.
1. Tyrese
2. Bolton
3. THT
4. Lard
5. Solomon

That team is solid. Obviously we had probably the worst possible scenario happen last spring in those three leaving the team, putting us in a huge hole this year, bigger than next year's imo. I'm not expecting the worst to happen again next year. I'm also not expecting the best, however I don't think the best needs to happen for us to be a solid team next year on the bubble line.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't think any of us thought Lindell, Lard, THT, and Tyrese were going to leave so quickly. Sure Tyrese was here this year but I'm going to assume most of us thought at the least Lard and THT were going to be back, both who would've had All-Big 12 aspirations if things went well. Those two would've completely changed this team.
1. Tyrese
2. Bolton
3. THT
4. Lard
5. Solomon

That team is solid. Obviously we had probably the worst possible scenario happen last spring in those three leaving the team, putting us in a huge hole this year, bigger than next year's imo. I'm not expecting the worst to happen again next year. I'm also not expecting the best, however I don't think the best needs to happen for us to be a solid team next year on the bubble line.

The difference it would have made to have either Lindell or THT back is hard to overstate.

• Agree
Reactions: rochclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Nobody knows what next year will bring. Will KSU and OSU suck balls again next year? If they were even average we would have 1 win in conference. We won't be 0.500 in conference, I'd bet on that.

but someone else might suck. Wasn’t it last year that Oklahoma sucked?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have no idea how they'll be. We won't have to be .500 in the league to be on the bubble next season though. We weren't .500 in 2015 but I believe we got a 4 seed. And no I'm not saying we'll be a 4 seed.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Or he could even still be here till 2024. Jamie was okay with McDermott for 5 years.
It could be argued it takes longer to win following a Wayne Morgan than a Fred Hoiberg. Not to say that McDoormat would ever have won but there was a reason a lot of time was given.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The difference it would have made to have either Lindell or THT back is hard to overstate.
THT would've given us that tweener to guard the long 3/4 that we so desperately need. He would've given us a legit scoring threat on offense that's also a tough matchup, something we currently don't have. And he would've given us another shooter (he's gotten a lot better in that category).

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
1. Tyrese
2. Bolton
3. THT
4. Lard
5. Solomon

LOL, why would SP ever start Lard?? He came off the bench last year and was constantly getting suspended. Also, wasn't THT a top 40's recruit? Why was everyone so shocked that he left early?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
LOL, why would SP ever start Lard?? He came off the bench last year and was constantly getting suspended. Also, wasn't THT a top 40's recruit? Why was everyone so shocked that he left early?
This is assuming Lard would've gotten his act together. I don't think Prohm thought he was going to leave but would rather stay to figure it all out. And Talen was #57 and towards the end of the year wasn't picked by many to go in the first round. He was a second round pick who honestly could've enhanced his draft stock by staying another year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron