Check Engine Light Came On

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Don’t worry at all unless it comes back repeatedly. If so changing the brake light switch is no big deal. Probably less than a $20 part so about $300 at the dealership or near $20 anywhere else. I know Hyundai has had some issues with the switch. I’m sure other makes have as well. You can tell it’s bad if your brake lights are on when they shouldn’t be or aren’t on when they should be. Usually an intermittent problem. Extreme cold can sometimes cause issues like this that go away in more sane temps.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
You can get an ODB II reader at Walmart for $12. I got one, and it works quite well. I have also seen ODB II Bluetooth devices that transmit the data to a phone or other portable device, for pretty cheap on eBay or Amazon.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Put a little piece of tape over it so you can't see it anymore.

I wanted to do this yesterday. We were having a wet, sleet, big snow flake, slush event and it was getting all the way up to the grill on my truck and caking the PCS radar point and the system shuts off the PCS at this point but the “PCS off” light comes on and you can’t turn the light off until you clean the radar off.

• Disagree
Reactions: dosry5

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I was gonna say, she is 5 months pregnant right now. But I've got some older pics from before
When my wife was about 5 months pregnant, she sent me to pick up a pizza from a Sarpino's. I came back with the regular ranch dipping sauce instead of the jalapeno ranch dipping sauce and she made me go back to the store to get it.

The next weekend, she wanted the same thing. I made sure to pick up the right dipping sauce. On the way home a group of young adults were on the side of the road and flagged me to stop and help them. They needed a jump start and I had jumper cables so I got their car started. When I got home, my wife told me that it took 7 minutes longer than the previous week. She then proceeded to scold me because the people I helped could have been trying to mug me.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
sensors always trigger the light

usually its the gas tank sensor

wouldnt worry too much.

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "gas cap". Guess that's not it.

Like the others have said, it happens. Sensor may have gotten unusually wet/hot/surge/something. If they wiped the code and it's still broken, the light will come back on. If it stays off, you're fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Tough ******* crowd. I like Little Caeser’s and crazy bread is the ****. Get your own sauce for it though, their sauce tastes like plastic.

I don't get crazy bread very often, and I do like their garlic butter sauce.

There is a Little Caesar's about 1,500 feet from my house. There's a really good local pizza joint across the street that I order from often. I'll swing by LC's on the way and grab a few dippers, then go pick up my pizza from the other place. I get the occassional odd comment from the LCs register person, but they don't care. $2 and I have my dipper fix for awhile.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
When my wife was about 5 months pregnant, she sent me to pick up a pizza from a Sarpino's. I came back with the regular ranch dipping sauce instead of the jalapeno ranch dipping sauce and she made me go back to the store to get it.

The next weekend, she wanted the same thing. I made sure to pick up the right dipping sauce. On the way home a group of young adults were on the side of the road and flagged me to stop and help them. They needed a jump start and I had jumper cables so I got their car started. When I got home, my wife told me that it took 7 minutes longer than the previous week. She then proceeded to scold me because the people I helped could have been trying to mug me.

Simple fix - don't impregnate the wife anymore.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I had a Chevy Silverado and that damn "Check Engine" light would come on periodically. It was always an oxygen sensor, my mechanic would re-set it and we'd be good for another 2,000 miles or so. More of a pain in the butt than anything.

You'd think with today's technology you could get a read-out telling you exactly what was wrong instead of this generic Check Engine bull$hit.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I had a Chevy Silverado and that damn "Check Engine" light would come on periodically. It was always an oxygen sensor, my mechanic would re-set it and we'd be good for another 2,000 miles or so. More of a pain in the butt than anything.

You'd think with today's technology you could get a read-out telling you exactly what was wrong instead of this generic Check Engine bull$hit.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-OBDII-CAN-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-Red/54620271

• Winner
Reactions: besserheimerphat

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

I have a 2009 Nissan Murano that has been complaining about a bad catalytic converter for years. My mechanic checks it over and says "it's fine", resets it, and off we go. It will come on a few months later, usually when it gets warmer.

I should buy my own scan tool, but going to my mechanic usually ends up in a beer drinking BS session, so I'm holding off.

Help Support Us

Become a patron