*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I see we've hit the "argue about which bottom of the Big 12 team was the worst" portion of Prohm's tenure.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Definitely some positives, really glad to see Grill hit a couple shots but the first half was more about OU than us. They came out in the 2nd half and hit us in the mouth, in typical Steve Prohm fashion, the team never recovered. Other than Solo, this team is pillow soft, that's a direct reflection of the current team culture that Steve has created. Any toughness and resiliency this program had left with the Hoiberg era players. Turning this thing around is going to take much more than just bringing in talent, which is a tall order for Prohm.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Even earlier when Young was taken out early in the 2nd half and sat for an extended period. OU exploited the post and extended the lead. By the time he got back in, around or under 10 mins, game was decided. Was he in foul trouble? Gassed? Seemed like offense functioning better when he's in there and a scoring option. Why go away from that..

Young is really our best player right now IMO. In a sea of s***, he is a small island of goodness.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This team without Halliburton is just as bad at 17-18 and way worse than Fred’s first squad. 2011 we were Kenpom #81 as of this morning we are #82 with this group and still have 8 games to play.

At least that 2011 team was fun to watch. Didn't have the horses but you could start to see the identity of that era. 5 years in and this program doesn't really have an identity

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
At least that 2011 team was fun to watch. Didn't have the horses but you could start to see the identity of that era. 5 years in and this program doesn't really have an identity
And for the most part games were all close. They played really well and were well coached, they just would fall apart in the last few minutes of the game. This year we aren’t even competitive

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think there’s some selective memory going on there.
That year also came on the back of 5 really bad year before it so it didn't "feel" like that bad of a season. We are used to winning now, so bad years like this one and two seasons ago feel worse, even though the results were pretty similar.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
That team got boat raced four times on the road that year. At Texas, at KU, at Missouri and at Colorado. 10 of their 16 losses that year were by 6 or less or in OT. How is that not competitive?

I mean it’s not nearly as competitive as this year where we have already lost 7 games by double digits. I think your memory is effected by your bloodlust for Fred.

• Winner
Reactions: awd4cy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That year also came on the back of 5 really bad year before it so it didn't "feel" like that bad of a season. We are used to winning now, so bad years like this one and two seasons ago feel worse, even though the results were pretty similar.

Right. There’s no doubt this year is bad though.

the only good part about yesterday is we kept it close for 39 minutes ;)

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Don’t even respond to him he is just blatantly wrong. 10 of our 16 losses in 2011 were in OT or by 6 points or less.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Oh really? Might want to go back and look at results. Lost by over 10 five times that year. This year has already been 7 times with 8 games left still. That year we also didn’t have a Florida A&M type loss.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I actually said earlier in the year this team reminded me of Fred's first team but was laughed at. Think this team is softer than that team, though

• Agree

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This years team is nothing like Fred’s first team. Other than both having several Big 12 losses.

I see the lineup as very similar except Jacobson hasn't been the stretch guy that they hoped he could turn into like Vanderbeken was. Both led by really good PGs who are tall, slender and from Wisconsin but didn't have a ton around them.

• Agree