What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
We have spent 75 % of the last decade in the ncaa tournament and top 25, play in one of the best conferences in the country and fill up hilton regardless of how the team is doing. How hard can it be to find grad transfer that can make wide open shots? I'm not asking for deandre kane or marial shayock even. Just give me a gdamn shooter please.

Reactions: Cyfanisu

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They need to fire Prohm if he doesn't make the tournament next year.

As far as next year's roster, a grad transfer would be nice. Also there are developmental guys on the roster that may figure into it. Griffin, Conditt or Grill maybe

That is incredibly short sighted though. If the team shows significant improvement then you 100% keep Prohm another year.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Craig Smith at Utah State is going to be a very hot name this off season..

He's from Minnesota, known the Midwest from his days as an assistant in Lincoln, NE, really turned around the USD program and was only bettered by Mike Daum in the Summitt, plus has Utah State #45 in KenPom and #43 in Torvick

Otz needs to prove he can coach without Mike Daum

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
If he bothered to recruit talented kids that can shoot, he might be able to achieve that again. Unfortunately, that doesn’t look like it will happen again.

One thing I always thought was that Fred knew how to recruit shooters. But he put together 13 kids at Nebraska this year and they shoot .418 from the floor. They shoot .334 from three-point and they shoot .599 free throws. Not to mention their best shooter and best 3-point shooter (Thorir) was a Tim Miles recruit. So Fred's players are worse than the team statistics!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
We have spent 75 % of the last decade in the ncaa tournament and top 25, play in one of the best conferences in the country and fill up hilton regardless of how the team is doing. How hard can it be to find grad transfer that can make wide open shots? I'm not asking for deandre kane or marial shayock even. Just give me a gdamn shooter please.

What frustrates me is when he lands a Shayock, THT and Wigginton and goes 9-9 in conference play while losing first round in the tournament..

• Agree

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
We need to bring Tim Floyd back and out of retirement. I always loved watching his teams. Defense first!! Liked Eustachy for the same reasons but that one won't happen again unless he agrees to wear a shock collar of some sort...…...

LE only made the tournament 2 times in his 5 years... the fan base we have now would eat him alive

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
One thing I always thought was that Fred knew how to recruit shooters. But he put together 13 kids at Nebraska this year and they shoot .418 from the floor. They shoot .334 from three-point and they shoot .599 free throws. Not to mention their best shooter and best 3-point shooter (Thorir) was a Tim Miles recruit. So Fred's players are worse than the team statistics!
You do realize Fred hasn't even been in Lincoln a full calendar year? I don't think you do. It's honestly crazy how many people on here think Fred and TJ should be off and running with their teams this year.

• Agree

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

In fairness to Fred he was just hired at the end of March 2019. He didn't have much time to put something together.

• Agree

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
LE only made the tournament 2 times in his 5 years... the fan base we have now would eat him alive
Doubtful. When you win a real Conference Championship the leash gets considerably longer. Especially when you win back to back championship and go to the Elite 8. If Prohm had gone 14-4 last year instead of 9-9 we wouldn’t be having these same conversations.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So is there any evidence to this? Feels like something one poster threw out there and a bunch of people ran with. Leath probably had no idea who Steve Prohm was.
The hiring process was to put out large pictures of coaching candidates' faces in a field to see which one Leath would crash a plane into first.

• Funny
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Let's do a deep dive:

2020 Big 12 Fanbase Expectations for each school (heading into the year):
ISU: NCAA Tournament
OU: NCAA Tournament
OSU: NCAA Tournament
KU: Final Four
KSU: Bubble team
Baylor: Sweet Sixteen
TCU: Bubble Team
TTU: Elite Eight
Texas: NCAA Tournament
WVU: NCAA Tournament

Conference Recruiting Ranking (Past four years Average):
  1. KU
  2. Texas
  3. TTU
  4. WVU
  5. OU
  6. TCU
  7. ISU
  8. OSU
  9. Baylor
  10. KSU
ISU's Projected Finish before Haliburton injury:
6th/7th

Everyone in this conference has the expectation to make it to the NCAA Tournament.
Prohm is a great recruiter, but he's competing in a league with other great recruiters.

We average the 7th best class. We were projected to finish 6th or 7th before Haliburton got hurt. If I told all of you that before the season, you would likely be happy. That was about most reasonable fans expectations.

PUMP. THE. BRAKES.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I would like to get this established now. Where Steve Prohm is concerned, we have a tendency to "define mediocrity downwards". By that I mean, if 8 years ago I would have told the Cyclone fan base that we would have a coach who would have a 13-win season and a 10-win season and still be retained, they would have been absolutely shocked. Yet now that it has actually happened, many are actually in favor of the retention.

I would like to know what the floor is for next season. If we wait until next season to define it, I think it will get lowered and lowered and lowered to the point where there is virtually no floor at all, for the sake of retaining him no matter what.
Not Prohm's fault star got hurt. Not his fault he now has a losing season. Pollard has to now retain him.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Let's do a deep dive:

2020 Big 12 Fanbase Expectations for each school (heading into the year):
ISU: NCAA Tournament
OU: NCAA Tournament
OSU: NCAA Tournament
KU: Final Four
KSU: Bubble team
Baylor: Sweet Sixteen
TCU: Bubble Team
TTU: Elite Eight
Texas: NCAA Tournament
WVU: NCAA Tournament

Conference Recruiting Ranking (Past four years Average):
  1. KU
  2. Texas
  3. TTU
  4. WVU
  5. OU
  6. TCU
  7. ISU
  8. OSU
  9. Baylor
  10. KSU
ISU's Projected Finish before Haliburton injury:
6th/7th

Everyone in this conference has the expectation to make it to the NCAA Tournament.
Prohm is a great recruiter, but he's competing in a league with other great recruiters.

We average the 7th best class. We were projected to finish 6th or 7th before Haliburton got hurt. If I told all of you that before the season, you would likely be happy. That was about most reasonable fans expectations.

PUMP. THE. BRAKES.
So we should accept bad when we are projected to be bad? What's Prohms recruiting rankings compared to Iowa, Oregon State, and Florida A&M?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
So is there any evidence to this? Feels like something one poster threw out there and a bunch of people ran with. Leath probably had no idea who Steve Prohm was.
I mean, what evidence do you want? Everyone who covers the Cyclones when Fred left said keep an eye on Otz getting the job. Then all of the sudden we hired a search firm and Leath was involved in interviews and we hired Prohm.

Beyond that, Otz will be our next coach. Leath wanted a sitting HC. Pollard wanted Otz to carry on Hoiberg era. Leath is gone and Pollard is still here.

• Agree
Reactions: Psyclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm of the mind that I think the stress of this job is weighing not only on him but his wife as well. Little kids at home and gone all time. It would not shock me to see him leave on his own accord after this season if a right job opens up near where he's from.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JBone84

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron