What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd be ecstatic if we won 23 games next year with that roster. I would gladly admit I was wrong about Prohm.

But sitting where we're at, that seems about as likely as pinning your financial well being on winning the lottery.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Notice how the new guys you listed were... transfers. As were White and Clyburn. Back in the day when every school in the country didn't pursue transfers. Things are different now, people. Hoiberg had a much easier time of sourcing talent from other sources, until he struck gold on some HS recruits.

Now, it still remains that Hoiberg was good at making these teams gel and getting production out of them, which certainly has been a recent problem with Prohm. That's something worth ******** about. I just don't see how the recruiting itself is. Where would we be right now if one-and-done didn't exist (which hopefully occurs in the near future...)?

This is a bad excuse. Transfer recruiting is a huge part of the game and if you can't do it then you playing with one arm tied behind your back. They would be in the same place if one and done didn't exist.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think the only way they get back to the tournament next year is they need some guys to transfer and Prohm to land some big time transfers that can play immediately and he needs some guys to really develop or freshman to come in and surprise.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Of course they’ll be mad. They don’t give a **** about tyrese being out, they are just upset they now there will be an excuse for the next month.
And of course you will be mad when we go 13-19 next year and fans aren’t satisfied with the results. Then you will get upset that fans don’t excuse the results because Tyrese left for the NBA and the team will be young.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This is a bad excuse. Transfer recruiting is a huge part of the game and if you can't do it then you playing with one arm tied behind your back. They would be in the same place if one and done didn't exist.
You think this team with THT and LW still here would be this bad? What about next year with THT and Tyrese? That's absurd.

Ideally, you shouldn't have to transfer recruit at all, but that's not reality. The reality surrounding transfers has changed, though, and it is now a vastly-competitive market. It wasn't a decade ago, we pretty much caused that revolution. It worked practically every attempt for Hoiberg when he built a reputation on it. For us now, it has and it hasn't with more towards hasn't. I bet you that the guy who did it for us is going to find out the same thing at his new school, not exactly a lot of pulls for basketball players to go to the storied Nebraska program.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And of course you will be mad when we go 13-19 next year and fans aren’t satisfied with the results. Then you will get upset that fans don’t excuse the results because Tyrese left for the NBA and the team will be young.

I promise that if we go 13-18, I’ll completely understand and not ***** about people wanting him fired.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Fred's players. Haven't you heard.......LE is no longer the coach of record on the elite eight run. That was Tim Floyd.
When you're evaluating Prohm's ability to lead the program in the future doesn't it make sense to use the last 3 years as a better indicator than the first 2 years?

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I find it funny that we consider last year a failure yet we apparently don’t consider Fred’s last year a failure. Because if we did, we would certainly think the sweet 16 the next year was amazing.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIACyclone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I find it funny that we consider last year a failure yet we apparently don’t consider Fred’s last year a failure. Because if we did, we would certainly think the sweet 16 the next year was amazing.
To some degree it was a disappointment, but given that, that team still finished 12-6 in the Big 12 and finished 2nd. Obviously losing to UAB was very disappointing with that team.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Of course they’ll be mad. They don’t give a **** about tyrese being out, they are just upset they now there will be an excuse for the next month.

To say that some of the people that question the direction of the program don’t care about Tyrese being out is unfair and untrue. It sucks for Tyrese and it sucks for the fans and team.
All will it be used as context for those that believe the season was going to magically turn around and we were going to finish 7-11 or 8-10. It absolutely will. I think the reality is whether we finish 3-15 or 6-12 in the conference this season is a disappointment. Hoping we get to the #7 seed with a 6-12 record so I can see a victory on Wednesday night in KC.

Reactions: Halincandenza

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
To say that some of the people that question the direction of the program don’t care about Tyrese being out is unfair and untrue. It sucks for Tyrese and it sucks for the fans and team.
All will it be used as context for those that believe the season was going to magically turn around and we were going to finish 7-11 or 8-10. It absolutely will. I think the reality is whether we finish 3-15 or 6-12 in the conference this season is a disappointment. Hoping we get to the #7 seed with a 6-12 record so I can see a victory on Wednesday night in KC.

Come on, nobody thinks that things will turnaround this year. However, some of us are some what realistic and can understand how we ended up in this position. This year is what it is and at this point you just hope the young guys are cutting their teeth and will be better contributors next year. Sprinkle in a a transfer or two with the incoming class and I don't think things are all doom and gloom.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You think this team with THT and LW still here would be this bad? What about next year with THT and Tyrese? That's absurd.

Ideally, you shouldn't have to transfer recruit at all, but that's not reality. The reality surrounding transfers has changed, though, and it is now a vastly-competitive market. It wasn't a decade ago, we pretty much caused that revolution. It worked practically every attempt for Hoiberg when he built a reputation on it. For us now, it has and it hasn't with more towards hasn't. I bet you that the guy who did it for us is going to find out the same thing at his new school, not exactly a lot of pulls for basketball players to go to the storied Nebraska program.

How would one and done going way have kept Wigginton, Horton Tucker and Haliburton at Iowa State. If it goes away, that means they can go straight to the pros. They aren't going to make kids stay longer just because they didn't go straight from HS.

And yeah there are more people recruiting transfers but there are also more transfers then there was 10 years ago. You can't simply rely on HS recruiting at ISU if you want to stay competitive year in and year out. Now, if you only want to make the tournament once every 3-4 years, sure just recruit HS players.

Last edited:
  • Agree

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Come on, nobody thinks that things will turnaround this year. However, some of us are some what realistic and can understand how we ended up in this position. This year is what it is and at this point you just hope the young guys are cutting their teeth and will be better contributors next year. Sprinkle in a a transfer or two with the incoming class and I don't think things are all doom and gloom.

Somebody in this thread just indicated that TH’s injury likely cost us 4 wins moving forward in the regular season. So that’s 7-11 in the conference which seems like a turnaround from where we were.

Regarding next year. He just needs to win man. CSP succeeding as a head coach here is still the easiest path forward. Foster has to work as a stretch 4, we need a transfer guard that is high level shooter and scorer, and Blackwell has to get to campus. If any of those three don’t occur we have issues.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Minimum expectations. Find at least 1 (prefer 4-5) player that can consistently score and make open shots. And another player who can create his own shot. Play good defense for the ENTIRE game. Keep Turnovers under 15/game. Finish in top half of the Big 12. Make NCAA. and Beat Iowa for the icing on the cake.

Tough to do, but if you don't aim high, you never reach that level.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Somebody in this thread just indicated that TH’s injury likely cost us 4 wins moving forward in the regular season. So that’s 7-11 in the conference which seems like a turnaround from where we were.

It probably cost us like 2 wins. We only really had about 4 winnable games left (most still close to 50%), but by odds probably only would've gotten about 2 more. Probably TCU and Texas at home.

• Agree

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've been a defender of Prohm but unless things improve next year I think a change probably will be justified. I think it is hard to justify making that change after this season when he just came off a 23 win season, Big 12 tournament title, and NCAA appearance then loses 3 guys to the NBA/G league. Not many coaches get fired over 1 bad year like that, usually takes multiple years in a row for that to happen so I don't see JP pulling the plug on Prohm over this season given his previous results and contract. I think our expectations coming into this season likely were a little too high given how many key players we lost but I don't think anyone expected the bottom to fall out as bad as it did either.

I think an impact grad transfer or 2 is going to be needed to turn this thing around quick though. Going to be losing Jacobson and Nixon to graduation and Haliburton to the NBA and what we have seen so far from Jackson and Grill plus the freshman class coming in unless some of them make some big strides in their development we are going to be lacking depth and consistent scoring options.

I hate losing like we are too but will still support ISU no matter who the coach and players are. I hate seeing all the negativity because I'm sure recruits read these boards and it's a bad look when we have fans going off the deep end like some do as like it or not it's probably hurting recruiting to have such a toxic message board environment right now too. I'm not saying people can't be critical of our coaches and players but we need to be careful how we are directing our anger and negativity too. When we can't let threads like "This is why Prohm must go" just run it's course and die instead of keeping them alive and front and center on the main page after every game, to an outsider that is probably not a great look to wonder why kind of fan base we have or why should a kid we are recruiting come to ISU when the fans hate the coach or are constantly critical of some players.

Reactions: Psyclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think its interesting to think what the rotation might look like next year. I feel like if we bring a GT and then Johnson plus two or 3 or the freshmen show up ready to play, that changes how current players see their future with the program and we see multiple players leave. You've got a pretty large pool of players to draw from, you'd have:

PG- Bolton, Jackson, Walker
Guard wings- GT/Juco guard, Jackson, Grill, Johnson, Griffin, Lewis, Dubar, Blackwell
Stretch 4- Foster, Griffin, Blackwell,Johnson?(we keep hearing this but IMO he's a guard)
Bigs- Solo, Conditt,

Prohm likes to play 8/9 guys. This group has 11 or 12 guys that will expect to play next season. It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out but I'd be shocked if a couple of guys that play big minutes this season, don't get left out in the cold. Especially if guys like Dubar, Blackwell and Walker are good enough to play. It's being a bit harsh but other than Bolton, Conditt and Solo, everyone on the current roster could be recruited over and have a lesser role next season. If that happens, Prohm is filling 4/5 schollies again next year.

To get out of this hole, he'd need another class similar to the '20 group but one that balanced skill sets and roles to compliment the guys in the '20 class. A more traditional big and a couple shooters plus Johnson, Foster, Blackwell, Dubar and Walker would look be really nice to have surrounding Rasir and Tre in '21/'22. That team would be very well put together and would be built to stay old.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
They need to fire Prohm if he doesn't make the tournament next year.

As far as next year's roster, a grad transfer would be nice. Also there are developmental guys on the roster that may figure into it. Griffin, Conditt or Grill maybe

Help Support Us

Become a patron