Oscars 2020 - More Men, Please?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Agree on all accounts. Again, don't mean to take anything away from Parasite and what Joon-Ho did. Unbelievable work and I thought that movie was fantastic as well. Just wanted to say may part about JoJo after watching it again haha. Although, it seems like it has a pretty strong fan base on here already

Bong Joon Ho is already adapting an ‘Americanized’ version of Parasite for HBO. Not sure how I feel about that but I’ll watch it.

Side note. There are some asshats on twitter ******** about how he didn’t give his speeches in English. And they are serious. Unreal.

Side note two. Everyone should watch all of his movies. Mother. The Host. Snowpiercer. Okja. They’re all great.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
i love Sam Rockwell. He’s so good in everything. Started loving him in Green Mile and then he became a favorite of mine in Matchstick Men.
we could go on and on. Even Vice I loved him as George dubya. I know 3 Billboards wasn't everyones cup of tea, but his performance of that character was every bit deserving of that Oscar. I loved that movie and he was the engine that made that thing run. Similar to JoJo in that there was that sense of comedic relief even when you didn't necessarily think you wanted it but glad it came lol

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
we could go on and on. Even Vice I loved him as George dubya. I know 3 Billboards wasn't everyones cup of tea, but his performance of that character was every bit deserving of that Oscar. I loved that movie and he was the engine that made that thing run. Similar to JoJo in that there was that sense of comedic relief even when you didn't necessarily think you wanted it but glad it came lol

I’m on an island but Three Billboards is one of the best movies of the decade for me.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Bong Joon Ho is already adapting an ‘Americanized’ version of Parasite for HBO. Not sure how I feel about that but I’ll watch it.

Side note. There are some asshats on twitter ******** about how he didn’t give his speeches in English. And they are serious. Unreal.

Side note two. Everyone should watch all of his movies. Mother. The Host. Snowpiercer. Okja. They’re all great.
I first watched Snowpiercer because of the book but honestly had no idea he did Okja.

Reactions: dahliaclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I’m on an island but Three Billboards is one of the best movies of the decade for me.
giphy.gif

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Okja. Oof. It’s so great but I can’t watch it again. It’s too sad. But I recommend it to anyone that will listen.
So glad to hear somebody else appreciated 3Billboards as much as I did haha, I could go on all night about that movie. But Okja interested me when it first came out, just never got around to watching it. I'll give it a try if I ever see it on.

Reactions: dahliaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
So glad to hear somebody else appreciated 3Billboards as much as I did haha, I could go on all night about that movie. But Okja interested me when it first came out, just never got around to watching it. I'll give it a try if I ever see it on.

It’s a Netflix movie!

• Informative

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Was there anything in Joaquin's speech that was inherently offensive? It seems like everything he said was simply following the golden rule. Frankly I don't see how a Christian could disagree with anything he said. A little crazy at times in his delivery but it's all just the golden rule.

Zellweger was rambling and seemed to struggle to hold it together but she was actually trying to make a point that as a divided nation our heroes are something that can bring us together.

The moment where the three female action stars gave best score to a woman and introduced the first woman conductor seemed overly staged to the point where it was hammy. Would have been better to just have a typical nomination and let the woman receive her award.

Martin and Rock didn't say anything that should have offended any reasonable person.

I guess I don't get what the big outrage is. Liberal people are attracted to the arts, journalism and education. Conservative people are attracted to things like business, law and law enforcement...the FBI/CIA and much of the legal system is always going to be full of conservative minded people, Robert Mueller is a conservative, James Comey is a conservative, etc.

The question is can people hold their views in their field without being offensive and insulting. Our national leadership at the highest level fails at this right now much more than these actors do.

Good art says something. It's rare for publicly funded art to be great because it can rarely say something meaningful. It's a contradiction to reward artists for great art and then ask them to turn off the conviction suddenly.

The idea of an industry rewarding itself in the first place is actually the most logical thing to criticize. It's kind of incestuous at the core. Artists are artists though.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My initial response was deleted due to the use of a certain word. Here's the upshot of why I thought that many of the speeches were hypocritical (again, this is the reason for my objection and NOT that these actors have the right to say what they want in a free country). JP scolds America & Hollywood for its abuse of BABY cows for our own selfishness - loud applause ensues. Fine - no problem for his take or the applause. BUT, go watch Michelle Williams's Golden Globes speech. Her decision was a SELFISH one - she admitted that the action(s) she took allowed her to further her career. Wild applause ensued, and by many of the same people who also applauded JP's defense of an innocent calf. This was my issue - it demonstrates inconsistent, hypocritical thinking, imo.
Oh, and BTW, I agree that our national leaders do NOT model decency, either. It is something that is a problem, generally-speaking, in our society. Again, I appreciate your thoughtful reply!

• Agree
Reactions: BillyClone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Ricky Gervais put it perfectly in his tweet during the oscars.

A lot of the things people (try to) bring up that are "political" in nature, just come off as flat and egotistical even if it is something they wholeheartedly believe in. Like Joaquin's speech, if given by a 24 year old immigrant, probably would have been a lot more impactful for me. Not that I don't agree with most of the points he is making, it's just that by 45 seconds noone cares that this guy who just won a prestigious award and is millionaire dating a billionaire has strong opinions on the dairy and meat industries, and you're(the actor) only going to magnify yourself in the eyes of people who hate "political" spins or discussion.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My initial response was deleted due to the use of a certain word. Here's the upshot of why I thought that many of the speeches were hypocritical (again, this is the reason for my objection and NOT that these actors have the right to say what they want in a free country). JP scolds America & Hollywood for its abuse of BABY cows for our own selfishness - loud applause ensues. Fine - no problem for his take or the applause. BUT, go watch Michelle Williams's Golden Globes speech. Her decision was a SELFISH one - she admitted that the action(s) she took allowed her to further her career. Wild applause ensued, and by many of the same people who also applauded JP's defense of an innocent calf. This was my issue - it demonstrates inconsistent, hypocritical thinking, imo.
Oh, and BTW, I agree that our national leaders do NOT model decency, either. It is something that is a problem, generally-speaking, in our society. Again, I appreciate your thoughtful reply!

I had forgot the stuff Joaquin said about animals which is a really interesting separate debate. Do things like veil of ignorance and the golden rule apply to animals?

Everything he said about people is just the golden rule that everyone should agree with if they are a decent person...separately of course we can groan about industries awarding themselves and rambling speeches.

I try to use veil of ignorance to develop all of my beliefs. If one had no idea what position or place they would be born into in this world, how would they want the world to be? I've always viewed it as still being a human, but I guess some could view it as you could be born as a dog or a cow or even an insect. Not sure I take it there in my personal moral code but it's interesting to think about.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had forgot the stuff Joaquin said about animals which is a really interesting separate debate. Do things like veil of ignorance and the golden rule apply to animals?

Everything he said about people is just the golden rule that everyone should agree with if they are a decent person...separately of course we can groan about industries awarding themselves and rambling speeches.

I try to use veil of ignorance to develop all of my beliefs. If one had no idea what position or place they would be born into in this world, how would they want the world to be? I've always viewed it as still being a human, but I guess some could view it as you could be born as a dog or a cow or even an insect. Not sure I take it there in my personal moral code but it's interesting to think about.
Unfortunately too many people do this in the world. And I don't mean in the positive way you are explaining it here.