WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I had fallen behind a bit in following the Twister Sisters and I just looked at the last box score. Did Maggie actually have 14 turnovers in the Okie State game? I couldn't believe that that wasn't a typo. What happened?

Try to keep up, man. ;)

Yes, she had 14, 8 came in the 4th quarter. Four in less than a 1:20 towards the end of the quarter. No idea why she was still in the game at that point. It was odd as hell. She did score 8 of our 18 points in the 4th.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Try to keep up, man. ;)

Yes, she had 14, 8 came in the 4th quarter. Four in less than a 1:20 towards the end of the quarter. No idea why she was still in the game at that point. It was odd as hell. She did score 8 of our 18 points in the 4th.

I think CBF has a new favorite. And most of you all know what that means! Go Cyclones!

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
From what I take from CBF comments I think he is just seeing how much pressure his freshman can take playing the point. With what he will have coming back and the new players I don't see her playing that much point but he is showing her it is like should she have to play it more.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
And as I point out it is heavily skewed by one team.
And I will point out that UCONN isn't even the highest rated RPI team Oklahoma has played. Missouri State is 5, Western Kentucky is 30, LSU is 20, Drake is 26, UCONN is 9, Baylor is 8, and TCU is 23. PLUS, they have played five additional opponents whose RPI is between 36 and 54 as of today. Nine more opponents are all rated at 165 or better. Just a single team on their schedule is below that (at 298) and that was the season opener. This is NOT an SOS dominated by a single team.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Kansas State held Baylor to 54 points yesterday in Manhattan, but the Bears still won by 14. The ESPN scroll last night said it was Baylor's lowest point total in a win since 2010.

Oklahoma State beat West Virginia in Stillwater, 60-57. That loss drops WVU to 4-6 in the league. They're on a sizable skid with their only win in their last seven games being Iowa State (because, of course).

TCU won at Kansas, 87-74. The froggies outscored KU by 20 in the second quarter.

Tech hosts Texas today at 1:00 on ESPNU.

The only other score of note (to me, anyway) from across the country yesterday was that #11 Gonzaga lost at St. Mary's, 70-60, after scoring just 4 points in the first quarter. It was their first loss since losing by six at Stanford in the third game of the season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kansas State held Baylor to 54 points yesterday in Manhattan, but the Bears still won by 14. The ESPN scroll last night said it was Baylor's lowest point total in a win since 2010.

Oklahoma State beat West Virginia in Stillwater, 60-57. That loss drops WVU to 4-6 in the league. They're on a sizable skid with their only win in their last seven games being Iowa State (because, of course).

TCU won at Kansas, 87-74. The froggies outscored KU by 20 in the second quarter.

The only other score of note (to me, anyway) from across the country yesterday was that #11 Gonzaga lost at St. Mary's, 70-60, after scoring just 4 points in the first quarter. It was their first loss since losing by six at Stanford in the third game of the season.

Might have to tune in Tech/Texas to see if it's a decent agame. Texas should hammer a team like Tech if they don't get caught in playing Tech's game which is a fast game of H-O-R-S-E with olay defense. But Texas seems completely schizoid so who knows.

Edit: Texas being Texas so far, that is being less than the sum of their parts.

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Might have to tune in Tech/Texas to see if it's a decent agame. Texas should hammer a team like Tech if they don't get caught in playing Tech's game which is a fast game of H-O-R-S-E with olay defense. But Texas seems completely schizoid so who knows.

Edit: Texas being Texas so far, that is being less than the sum of their parts.

Tech is a very streaky team. They can play better than anybody for a while, but they go into 3 to 5 minute funks where they forget they're even on the court. That's why I call them "Streaky Tech".

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'd give my eye teeth to have that #4 from So. Carolina playing center for us. Boston is here name I believe. Full house at So. Carolina tonight.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd give my eye teeth to have that #4 from So. Carolina playing center for us. Boston is here name I believe. Full house at So. Carolina tonight.

The killer classes they recruited in 2018 and 2019 are showing up now. Geewagos Prospects Nation peeps had Boston as the #1 post in 2019.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The killer classes they recruited in 2018 and 2019 are showing up now. Geewagos Prospects Nation peeps had Boston as the #1 post in 2019.

They said that during the game, but darn she is tough both on O and D. Add her to Joens and our guards we would be solid.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
IMO if Iowa ST doesn't start recruiting some decent posts like Poppens or Prims etc they will continue to finish in the middle of the pack in the Big 12. NWICY and I were talking about this just a few days ago on the phone. It's just next to impossible to beat top 10 teams without at least one strong post. The only way really is to shoot at least 35 threes and make at least 70% of them.

Boston was a good find for SC and actually Ododa was a great get for UConn, but she came in a little rougher needing to be coached up quite a bit. To me she seems to be about a year away from being a dominant presence in the paint.

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: casey1973 and NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
IMO if Iowa ST doesn't start recruiting some decent posts like Poppens or Prims etc they will continue to finish in the middle of the pack in the Big 12. NWICY and I were talking about this just a few days ago on the phone. It's just next to impossible to beat top 10 teams without at least one strong post. The only way really is to shoot at least 35 threes and make at least 70% of them.

Boston was a good find for SC and actually Ododa was a great get for UConn, but she came in a little rougher needing to be coached up quite a bit. To me she seems to be about a year away from being a dominant presence in the paint.

We keep having to play pretty good forwards like Scott, and others like Hallie Christofferson her senior year, as posts and not forwards. But so do most teams.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Everyone agrees that we need a taller/bigger post, the problem is there are very few out there and many of them decide to play volleyball. The ones that decide to play BB only seem to want to chose the few schools that are in the top 5-6 in the country.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Newest bracketology is out and we are now in as 11 seed playing Ariz St. In bracket with 3 seed DePaul so we would get to play in Chicago. Would be interesting development seeing how DePaul was among the teams that came to Ames.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They have Iowa hosting with Mo St. in their bracket. Would be nice to see them do to Iowa what they did to us.

That would be a tough bracket, advance to play Oregon. Could happen, they sent the Missouri teams to IC and Ames last year and likely won't put Mizzu State at DePaul after putting both together last year.