What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So, minimum achievement to keep job? I would agree with make the NCAA or be right there on the bubble. Something like 18-12 and 8 or 9 conference wins. With the youth of the team next year, that would be a solid achievement and would also augur well for future success.

Otherwise, you appear to have a rudderless program that appears to be going nowhere. If you don't have wins, you have to sell hope. Super-young-bubble-team legitimately sells a lot of hope.

What do I expect will happen? SSDD. Maybe 13-15 wins, 4 or 5 in conference.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, you’re probably right.. Especially because next years team will only have 2 SR’s and probably no NBA guys. We will return most of the roster for 2021/22 so I’m sure they won’t fire Prohm even though no tournament 3/4 years is unbelievably bad.

Not sure these days you can legitimately look at roster returnees more than one year out anymore. I don't think going into last season anybody thought THT was one-and-done or that TH would be a lottery pick a year later.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
you do realize that we don’t define what the expectations are, right? That’s Jamie.

Should the response to every thread be, check with Pollard? Obviously it's up to him.

For me it's NCAA or bust.

• Agree
Reactions: clone1990

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If we are not in the NCAA's or at worst one of the last teams left out, we should go looking for a new coach. NIT final four may keep him around, but that is Iffy at best.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Expectation every year should be in the NCAA Tournament or just missing out.

Two years in a row of not either being in it or just missing out, and he should be gone. I don't even see how JP is going to sell season tickets for next season after this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Can't overlook what this program has been with Prohm's guys. The first post-Monte team was always going to be a rebuild, but that team finished last in the Big XII. Last year's team had the most talent in the league and went 9-9 and were fighting each other in practice and sitting out games because of it. Big XII tournament was nice, but in the end pretty meaningless because we got bounced by a team that probably shouldn't have been in the tournament. This year's team might not get last in the Big XII, but without Haliburton it's probably the worst team in the league.

Recruiting doesn't mean anything if they don't buy in, the concepts don't work and/or they don't get along.

I don't believe that's true and I'd be willing to bet it's actually unusual to have some skirmishes/fights in practice at mot places. Pretty sure Fred had some including Niang getting taken down by Ejim after talking some ****.

Not to mention the team actually started playing better after the fight went public.

• Agree

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
At least I admit I'm biased. You, on the other hand, are just as biased as me but won't admit it.
Actually it has more to do with you having your meltdowns over people not thinking a coach who has clearly projected this basketball program in a downward spiral is doing a good job.

• Disagree

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
At any power 5 school that gives a damn about basketball, the expectation for a coach should be to make the tournament every year. Half of the P5 schools make it to the tournament every year, and that % goes up if you just consider the schools that give a damn about basketball.

Do you necessarily fire for one bad year (one missed tournament)? No. But missing the tournament 2 years in a row and 3 out of 4 is fireable. Hell, the last 3 years (DFL, 5th, likely DFL now, but near DFL even before we lost TH) are fireable

And the fact is, when the math is pointing towards that result next year, we'd probably be better off just moving on now.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Pray somebody hires CSP and pays the buyout off because you know JP doesn't want to eat the buyout.

If not, then check in on the team mid February because it doesn't matter what the talent level is, ISU will have a poorly coached team that is painfull to watch before then.

The players and fans deserve better.

Last edited:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Not sure these days you can legitimately look at roster returnees more than one year out anymore. I don't think going into last season anybody thought THT was one-and-done or that TH would be a lottery pick a year later.
I don’t think you’re wrong at all, I’m just not sure I see a 1-and-done type in the 2020 class. THT was a top 40ish guy so that one wasn’t that surprising. Haliburton was very surprising but he was a 2 year guy and my original comment was about losing someone to the NBA after their freshman year. I think there’s some guys in the class who could surprise like Tyrese did and leave after 2 years but I’m pretty confident we don’t have a 1 and done in that class. I know ESPN somewhat recently had Conditt creeping into the NBA picture so maybe he has a big year and goes after 3 years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
At any power 5 school that gives a damn about basketball, the expectation for a coach should be to make the tournament every year. Half of the P5 schools make it to the tournament every year, and that % goes up if you just consider the schools that give a damn about basketball.

Do you necessarily fire for one bad year (one missed tournament)? No. But missing the tournament 2 years in a row and 3 out of 4 is fireable. Hell, the last 3 years (DFL, 5th, likely DFL now, but near DFL even before we lost TH) are fireable

And the fact is, when the math is pointing towards that result next year, we'd probably be better off just moving on now.

What non blue blood teams make the NCAA tournament every year? Unless you are Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky an expectation of making the tournament every year is unrealistic and foolish.

Now, I agree with you that NCAA tournament, NCAA tournament, last, NCAA tournament, last isn't great and I have no qualms with Prohm being on the hot seat. But I do have big problems with people that say things like the NCAA tournament should happen every year.

• Agree

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What non blue blood teams make the NCAA tournament every year? Unless you are Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky an expectation of making the tournament every year is unrealistic and foolish.

No, it isnt.

Any year a program misses an NCAA tournament, would be comparable to an average corporate employee being given a 'needs improvement' or put on a performance improvement plan in their end of year review. They did not meet the expectations of their job and are on notice that that needs to change. That doesnt mean that every employee that gets a "needs improvement" gets fired immediately. Employees don't always meet the company's goals every year. But if an employee gets "needs improvement" 2 years in a row or 3\4, that's a different situation and theyre more likely to be gone, especially when that employee is making millions. .

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens