What is the bare minimum expectation for next season?

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
If things are trending up at all next year you are out of your mind if you think JP is going to fire CSP. I'm not saying this is right or wrong....
Yeah, you’re probably right.. Especially because next years team will only have 2 SR’s and probably no NBA guys. We will return most of the roster for 2021/22 so I’m sure they won’t fire Prohm even though no tournament 3/4 years is unbelievably bad.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
SP is 2 recruiting classes away from getting back to the tourney. I don't think they are even close next year but ISU should be back in the tourney by '22 season. No way JP gives SP 3-years to turn it around.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe answering the question would be helpful. Lots of people from Cat’s gang wanted to suggest that CSP is a coaching upgrade from the previous regime. Now we reminisce about how close we were in 17-18. I think 18-19 was a success even with the February funk.
But you are correct that this staff’s winning pct in close games, failure to get good looks in end of game situations, endorsement of long 2’s, failure to put a premium on 2 for one opportunities and peculiar time out useage are all reasons why I don’t think we are in good hands.

Still have season tickets, still go to the Big 12 tournament, still support the kids but I’m not going to say I’m confident about the program when I feel we have the 8th best in-game coach in the Big 12.

When you can’t hit a 3, maybe a long two that you make is better.

when was the last time he used a bad timeout?

• Dumb
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
We are a basketball school. We should get to the Sweet Sixteen every. year. Period. Anything less is unacceptable. We should NEVER have a rebuilding year EVER. Johnny Orr would be spinning in his grave. It should be written into every coaches contract that they are automatically terminated with no buyout as soon as they are mathematically eliminated from at least 25 wins.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for the answer. And I was there on Saturday and not disappointed at all. But I’m fairly certain that even if we go .500 you will be back here telling us that he deserves a couple more years.

And I’m sure that if we win 20 games you’ll be here telling us he should be fired. It goes both ways. I’m biased for him and you’re biased against him.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think another factor is Otz' availability. If he has a great season next year, I bet Pollard will move on him if Prohm has little or no improvement next year. Pollard LOVES Otz.

the good thing about that is no one will be able to ***** about the coach on here ;)

• Optimistic
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Zleight39

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2015
Depends what else we lose this off season. Halliburton gone. Good chance Terrance transfers with how Prohm treats him. Solo could transfer for his senior year and be closer to his mom so she can see him play more. Zion could transfer as well with how up and down his minutes are. Could have a lot of spots to fill still.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I think CSP needs to make changes to his staff to coach toughness, rebounding, and just having a mean disposition to compete in the Big 12 that has become a defensive league, not a run and gun league. We need to play more like WV, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Kansas.

We are recruiting and coaching to the way the Big 12 was, not to what it is now.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
The expectation for the program should always be to make the NCAA tournament. From there it's a crapshoot. Just get to the dance and see what happens.

That being said, a trip to the tournament this year is extremely unlikely (>0 <1%). Too early to tell for 2021, but not looking great there unless the incoming guys are ready to contribute significantly on day one (which is possible, but not a guarantee).

This year would have been a lot different had THT returned.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
When you can’t hit a 3, maybe a long two that you make is better.

when was the last time he used a bad timeout?

Long two are bad shots especially when you have a below 50% shooter taking them.
The last timeout fiasco as far as one being taken was Florida AM after a made bucket. However, I can point to the Kansas game as to why his TO useage is maddening. We take a TO in the 2H two minutes after a media TO when we have gone from being behind 20 to behind 23. But in the 1H we don’t use a TO when KU goes from 25-23 with 6:57 in the 1st to 42-26 with 2:33 in the 1st. 17-3 run at home without a TO. Not sure how that is defensible.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
And I’m sure that if we win 20 games you’ll be here telling us he should be fired. It goes both ways. I’m biased for him and you’re biased against him.

Not likely as I’m the guy that called 18-19 a success no matter the outcome of the NCAA Tournament game against Ohio State. If we win 20 next year then that would a major positive step.

Reactions: isutrevman

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Can't overlook what this program has been with Prohm's guys. The first post-Monte team was always going to be a rebuild, but that team finished last in the Big XII. Last year's team had the most talent in the league and went 9-9 and were fighting each other in practice and sitting out games because of it. Big XII tournament was nice, but in the end pretty meaningless because we got bounced by a team that probably shouldn't have been in the tournament. This year's team might not get last in the Big XII, but without Haliburton it's probably the worst team in the league.

Recruiting doesn't mean anything if they don't buy in, the concepts don't work and/or they don't get along.