Politician Finally Claims Victory in Iowa

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Iowa Lottery needs to step up their big check game.
20838_8_full.jpg

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Does anyone else find it a little odd that a former governor was playing the lottery?

A quick Google search indicates he has a net worth of over $3.3M. Not necessarily loaded but you would think a good sum is there and able to invest/earn wealth that route vs gambling for it.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Does anyone else find it a little odd that a former governor was playing the lottery?

A quick Google search indicates he has a net worth of over $3.3M. Not necessarily loaded but you would think a good sum is there and able to invest/earn wealth that route vs gambling for it.

Judging by the date on the check he bought his powerball ticket when the jackpot was $300,000,000+. I rarely buy a powerball ticket, but will occasionally if the jackpot gets high enough. I doubt he plays frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: JHUNSY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

well, yeah I’m assuming he wasn’t playing thinking he’d win. Like many people he probably bought a ticket when it got super high.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and JHUNSY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

"Gambling for it?" He wasn't at Prairie Meadows, he probably picked up a lotto ticket when he filled up the car with gas.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

It's not a good investment by any means, but it does provide revenue for the state, so that's how I would justify it if I was him.

• Funny
Reactions: JHUNSY

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
"Gambling for it?" He wasn't at Prairie Meadows, he probably picked up a lotto ticket when he filled up the car with gas.
I guess I view the lottery as a form of gambling when you're literally playing a game of chance to win money in the form of a ticket.

Besides, I'm assuming most people probably wouldn't bat an eye at an older, "rich" guy betting on horses.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I guess I view the lottery as a form of gambling when you're literally playing a game of chance to win money in the form of a ticket.

Besides, I'm assuming most people probably wouldn't bat an eye at an older, "rich" guy betting on horses.
I consider horse racing much more in the gambling spectrum than lottery tickets.
You can get a powerball ticket in hundreds of Metro locations in seconds but only see horses race in one location. And some of those people that are in the horse viewing area, sit for hours smoking and pouring thru the race magazines. They even have viewing stations setup to simulcast from all around the world.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I consider horse racing much more in the gambling spectrum than lottery tickets.
You can get a powerball ticket in hundreds of Metro locations in seconds but only see horses race in one location. And some of those people that are in the horse viewing area, sit for hours smoking and pouring thru the race magazines. They even have viewing stations setup to simulcast from all around the world.
Touché.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron