XFL

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The quality of football was about the same (although I'd give the offensive edge to the XFL - there were games that I watched, especially Birmingham games, where the offense was awful and I don't necessarily think it was because the defenses were outstanding). The presentation of what we're watching, on the other hand, is on a completely different level. While it remains to be seen how long this will last, it just feels really well done.
Ya I just meant football being played

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Only caught the last couple minutes there but Tampa's QB is not looking great.

Is the play clock shortened? The break between plays feels quicker.

Looking at the last play before half (long field goal), an interesting idea I just thought of (not sure how people would feel), but what if you add like a 5-yard penalty to the kicking team if they still kick an attempt during an obvious icing timeout?

Like 20 yards out, maybe you take the penalty and let your kicker get one up for the confidence. But at 45 or 50 and suddenly those timeouts/reps seem more valuable on both sides. Just hate the feeling of a 30-second delay to ice when the kicker still gets one up. Feels like a little waste of time/takes away from the momentum of the game?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Looking at the last play before half (long field goal), an interesting idea I just thought of (not sure how people would feel), but what if you add like a 5-yard penalty to the kicking team if they still kick an attempt during an obvious icing timeout?

Like 20 yards out, maybe you take the penalty and let your kicker get one up for the confidence. But at 45 or 50 and suddenly those timeouts/reps seem more valuable on both sides. Just hate the feeling of a 30-second delay to ice when the kicker still gets one up. Feels like a little waste of time/takes away from the momentum of the game?

Yeah, I don't think the Vipers' QB is all that good, but I do think part of it is the Guardians' D is playing that well.

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis

Yes, the play clock is shortened from :40 to :25. Makes it seem that fast-pace is what the XFL is going for.

Reactions: JHUNSY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
New League.

Same wondering WTF Marc Trestman is doing.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The review booth uses an XBox controller for video? That's pretty interesting.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think not having the on field ref deal with reviews really speeds this up.
I mean that one play needed 2 different reviews and it wasnt that bad.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Just saw the review process in the NY-TB game, with the video in the review booth, it was EXCELLENT! Very transparent, fans should love it!!!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
the play clock is shortened from :40 to :25.

Yes and no. Instead of a :40 clock starting when the previous play ends, it's a :25 clock starting when the ball is set for the next play. How much time is gained/lost is dependent on how fast the ball is spotted and set.

In reality, it's more like :33-:35 between plays.