The magic is gone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Isn’t kstate also pretty bad?
Yes, but beating K-State is always fun! I still get PTSD thinking about a Saturday afternoon 2 pm tip loss to K-State when I was in school! We can NEVER beat those 'Cats enough! Great win today by the lads!

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
The pep band used to play 3 blind mice, but maybe they can’t play that anymore? Might hurt someone’s feelings. The crowd should have come unglued
during the break in the game. We also got away from the offensive set that got us a lot of points in the second half, wonder why. When we were struggling to make a shot, the crowd needs to help get the energy going. Get up and make some noise. You can sit down to drive home.
Go Cyclones

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The pep band used to play 3 blind mice, but maybe they can’t play that anymore? Might hurt someone’s feelings.

If by 'used to' you mean 'decades ago', i guess, because that wasnt even in our repertoire 20 years ago when i was in the band (oof, that hurts to think about). Either way, 90% of the time when the band is playing something these days its being told what to play by the department, so it might go poorly if the AD was telling the band to play something derogatory towards the refs.

The crowd should have come unglued
during the break in the game. We also got away from the offensive set that got us a lot of points in the second half, wonder why. When we were struggling to make a shot, the crowd needs to help get the energy going. Get up and make some noise. You can sit down to drive home.
Go Cyclones

The crowd gets up, but its a two way street. The crowd can only do so much when every defensive possession is a foul and we go on huge scoring droughts on the other end. It sucks the energy out of the crowd

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If by 'used to' you mean 'decades ago', i guess, because that wasnt even in our repertoire 20 years ago when i was in the band (oof, that hurts to think about). Either way, 90% of the time when the band is playing something these days its being told what to play by the department, so it might go poorly if the AD was telling the band to play something derogatory towards the refs.

The crowd gets up, but its a two way street. The crowd can only do so much when every defensive possession is a foul and we go on huge scoring droughts on the other end. It sucks the energy out of the crowd

Absolutely, as does a nearly 10 minute official review.. I really thought we were gonna will them to a win, that place was going bonkers. Then the long review happened and the momentum turned big time - crowd never had a chance to get as crazy again.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Part of my point is, the crowd needed to get back into crazy mode as play resumed. Ya, things have changed since Johnny was there.
Go Cyclones.

Yes, things have changed over the course of 30-40 years.

In Johnny's tenure home losses must have been much more widely accepted.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, things have changed over the course of 30-40 years.

In Johnny's tenure home losses must have been much more widely accepted.
It's perception many times. Would you rather watch a 90-85 loss or a 54-48 loss? Same as football, we won the Iowa game 10-7, but would anyone say it was an exciting game outside of a few spots? What gets you going, watching a guy shut down a dribble drive that forces him to pass out or a guard driving in and making a floater over the posts inside? We are making the games ugly, which people accept if you win even though they are tough to watch, but people don't care for it at all if you lose.

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
johnny was a great recruiter but not a bench coach. Jim O'hallanan was. Tj is the same but no bench coach

Reactions: BCClone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It's perception many times. Would you rather watch a 90-85 loss or a 54-48 loss? Same as football, we won the Iowa game 10-7, but would anyone say it was an exciting game outside of a few spots? What gets you going, watching a guy shut down a dribble drive that forces him to pass out or a guard driving in and making a floater over the posts inside? We are making the games ugly, which people accept if you win even though they are tough to watch, but people don't care for it at all if you lose.

Correct. People weren't exactly doing cart wheels when they first saw how Tim Floyd coached. But they warmed to him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron