This is why Prohm must go........

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
WVU is beating Big 12 teams at home by an average score of 77.2-56 (a 21.2 point margin). They beat ISU 76-61 (a 15 point margin) last night. They are a really tough team, especially at home. They are in the top 15 for Pete's sake.
We were down double digits in no time last night and stayed pretty much that way all game. All WVU had to do was coast and they did.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
WVU is no doubt a very good team, but so far WVU's home opponents have been ISU, KSU, TCU, UT, and TT.

IMO, Prohm's teams have struggled at the basic fundamentals of rebounding, defense, and interior play (both offense and defense). Decent outside shooting has covered it up enough for him to have some success. But this year it is getting exposed. You just cannot continue to give up 50% shooting along with big offensive rebound numbers and hope to be successful.

At this point, ISU should just stop game planning and spend practice on the fundamental stuff. If ISU doesn't see significant improvement over the rest of the season in at least some of these areas, I really hope Prohm re-evaluates his staff and makes the necessary changes to address these weak fundamental areas.

Speaking to the fundamentals of rebounding. Posted this in a separate thread yesterday after a poster said we were ranked around 288th in the country in defensive rebound percentage. Through Prohm's 5 seasons at Iowa State, our best ranking in defensive rebounding percentage was 205th (2015-2016 season). Also assuming that has a big influence in our defensive struggles.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I continue to see the "play Conditt and Young together" solution rolled out. I'm curious what proponents of that plan expect that to solve?

I'm positive on both players, but I wouldn't play them together very many minutes.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I'd agree that it's his strength compared to in-game coaching, game planning, or anything else. It's just that the bar there is really low.

I think Prohm's strength is the ability to convince pretty good players to come to Iowa State. What happens to them after they get here is another story. TH had a ton of assists last year because he was surrounded by shooters. How's that going for him this year? He's as talented this year as he was last, but the supporting cast is lacking. As has been mentioned several times - we're just not very good, and that's largely due to coaching. Or lack thereof.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
People have been saying this for a long time. People were thinking we'd be a bubble team without Bolton before the season. It's wrong. There are not good players on this team, period.
Or maybe the players are not reaching their full potential due to bad coaching. I wonder how much better the current players would be with a top notch head coach used to getting the most out of their players? For example would Chris Beard be able to coach this group into performing better, both individually and as a team?
Prohm seems to have difficulty getting his teams to “gel” or play well together on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ManBearClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think Prohm's strength is the ability to convince pretty good players to come to Iowa State. What happens to them after they get here is another story. TH had a ton of assists last year because he was surrounded by shooters. How's that going for him this year? He's as talented this year as he was last, but the supporting cast is lacking. As has been mentioned several times - we're just not very good, and that's largely due to coaching. Or lack thereof.

We're not on different pages here.
He gets pretty good players, not elite (which is just fine), but he doesn't know how to align them as a team or do much once they're here.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Or maybe the players are not reaching their full potential due to bad coaching. I wonder how much better the current players would be with a top notch head coach used to getting the most out of their players? For example would Chris Beard be able to coach this group into performing better, both individually and as a team?
Prohm seems to have difficulty getting his teams to “gel” or play well together on a consistent basis.

I think a fair question is, how much development would we expect out of players? I think Beard is a bad example, because I think he's truly one of the best coaches at developing players that we've seen this generation. I think he might be the actual best one of his group.

Look at our rotation guys:

1. TH - fantastic development. Big jump from year 1 to year 2.
2. Bolton - improving greatly throughout this season.
3. Conditt - #327 recruit in his class. Honestly pretty good for that ranking.
4. Zion - #125 recruit in his class. Maybe can expect more from him.
5. Jackson - #210 recruit in his class. Shot is coming around.
6. Grill - #175 recruit in his class. It's early.

How much improvement do you expect out of recruits in the 200 to 300 range?

• Creative
  • Agree
Reactions: isu83 and xboxfever

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
I think a fair question is, how much development would we expect out of players? I think Beard is a bad example, because I think he's truly one of the best coaches at developing players that we've seen this generation. I think he might be the actual best one of his group.

Look at our rotation guys:

1. TH - fantastic development. Big jump from year 1 to year 2.
2. Bolton - improving greatly throughout this season.
3. Conditt - #327 recruit in his class. Honestly pretty good for that ranking.
4. Zion - #125 recruit in his class. Maybe can expect more from him.
5. Jackson - #210 recruit in his class. Shot is coming around.
6. Grill - #175 recruit in his class. It's early.

How much improvement do you expect out of recruits in the 200 to 300 range?
I agree TH is a great talent, but honestly I feel like he would look much better, and have better stats, on a decent team.
Agree with Bolton, he has improved throughout the year.
Condit is getting worse for some reason.
Jackson may be improving a bit. Not Grill.
And what about Jacobsen? He has definitely gotten worse. Lewis has never developed over the years with CSP.
My question is, where is the team chemistry? I feel like CSP struggles with this. I could be wrong.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I agree TH is a great talent, but honestly I feel like he would look much better, and have better stats, on a decent team.
Agree with Bolton, he has improved throughout the year.
Condit is getting worse for some reason.
Jackson may be improving a bit. Not Grill.
And what about Jacobsen? He has definitely gotten worse. Lewis has never developed over the years with CSP.
My question is, where is the team chemistry? I feel like CSP struggles with this. I could be wrong.

The best thing for team chemistry is winning. I think these guys like each other, but they go into almost every game with lesser talent and coaching. That can take the joy out of any team.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree. There is always a path. Here's the things that need to break right:

Foster needs to be good right away.
Conditt needs to become consistent.
Jackson or Bolton needs to become a full time ballhandler
Lewis or Johnson or one of the freshman needs to become a very solid starter

I'd put the odds of all those things happening very, very low. That's why I said I don't see a path I consider to be realistic. I mean we'll find out of course, and by this time next year we'll know what it's looking like.

We need another guard next year -- else we might be starting Bubu Palo.
*DeAndre Kane enters the chat.*
How the heck is this guy from a C-USA team going to lead the squad next year?

Georges and Melvin need to find another gear. Georges had a good freshman year and Melvin is a good role player, but can they really be stars for this team?

This Hogue guy is a JUCO. I hope he can play in the Big 12.

These true freshman guards need to be Big 12 ready. I am really excited about this near 5* Matt Thomas -- should start from Day 1, and maybe this Morris kid from Michigan will develop into something later, but he is just so small/skinny right now.

Getting something out of the bench guys might be nice. They need to start showing something soon, or guys like Naz Long might as well transfer out.

Can this hodgepodge replace Lucious, Babb, Clyburn, and McGee? That is way too much scoring and way too many minutes for the team to bounce back next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Speaking to the fundamentals of rebounding. Posted this in a separate thread yesterday after a poster said we were ranked around 288th in the country in defensive rebound percentage. Through Prohm's 5 seasons at Iowa State, our best ranking in defensive rebounding percentage was 205th (2015-2016 season). Also assuming that has a big influence in our defensive struggles.

How does that compare to other ISU coaches?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We need another guard next year -- else we might be starting Bubu Palo.
*DeAndre Kane enters the chat.*
How the heck is this guy from a C-USA team going to lead the squad next year?

Georges and Melvin need to find another gear. Georges had a good freshman year and Melvin is a good role player, but can they really be stars for this team?

This Hogue guy is a JUCO. I hope he can play in the Big 12.

These true freshman guards need to be Big 12 ready. I am really excited about this near 5* Matt Thomas -- should start from Day 1, and maybe this Morris kid from Michigan will develop into something later, but he is just so small/skinny right now.

Getting something out of the bench guys might be nice. They need to start showing something soon, or guys like Naz Long might as well transfer out.

Can this hodgepodge replace Lucious, Babb, Clyburn, and McGee? That is way too much scoring and way too many minutes for the team to bounce back next year.

Honest question do you see CSP getting anything similar out of next year's newcomers/veterans?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Honest question do you see CSP getting anything similar out of next year's newcomers/veterans?

The point of that post is you never know beforehand.

Prohm is going to be here next year. So I am just going to take it as it comes.

Basketball is weird -- especially nowadays. Teams rise and fall much quicker and for much more unforeseen reasons than they do for football, which moves at a comparatively tectonic pace compared to hoops, where one guy can change everything.

Heck, teams can be radically different week-to-week sometimes.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I, like many people on this board, am so sick of seeing Prohm not make changes / not experiment with different lineups when you are freaking 9-13. But then again, Prohm does this stuff even when we're good so it should come as no surprise.
Yeah, I can't believe that Prohm has gone with the same starting lineup this entire season.

:rolleyes:

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
I have been a long time critic of Prohm. But I think he has done a very good job of bringing talent to Ames. Wigginton, Shayok, Lard, Haliburton, Horton-Tucker are all NBA draft talent. I think most would agree that having (5) players of this caliber and a potential lottery pick in a 2 year time span at Iowa State is impressive.

But he is an awful coach. Finishing 9-9 with those caliber of players, a team several analysts thought was talented enough to win the conference, is unacceptable. Having that many talented players is not going to happen every year, and we are now seeing how bad it is when he doesn't have top notch talent.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: isu83 and Cyfanisu