WBB vs. Oklahoma State @ Hilton 2/5/2020

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The Iowa State women’s basketball team (12-8, 4-5, Big 12) returns to Hilton Coliseum as it squares off with Oklahoma State (12-9, 3-6 Big 12) on Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 6:30 p.m. on Cyclones.tv. The Cyclones trail the alltime series 36-31, but the Cyclones have won five of the last six against OSU, including sweeping the Cowgirls last season. Iowa State is looking for its second-straight sweep of OSU this season.

(The actual press release from Cyclones.com for this game had all the information for the first meeting with OSU in Stillwater.)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wish the announcement and info stuff would include something, anything, about the opponent.

Should be an interesting matchup. Similar teams in a way, both with two top 10 league scorers and with similar RPI. I think we are a little better offensive team and they are better at defense than we are. Their league stats are a little skewed by the shootout at Tech where they gave up 109 points, that's not the norm for them. They will have Natasha Mack this time to go with Vivian Gray. She got injured at the three minute mark of our game with them and didn't return and missed the next three games. They likely beat us at OSU with Mack although the subs for her did not play badly.

Vivian Gray in league play 20.4 pts
Natasha Mack in league play 19.0 pts (22.4 not counting the 3 minute ISU game)
Natasha Mack in league play 9.7 rb (11.2 not counting the 3 minute ISU game)
Ashley Joens in league play 18.2 pts and 8.7 rb
Kristin Scott 16.4 pts 6.3 rb
After Gray/Mack they drop off a LOT more than we do after Joens/Scott.

FWIW, RealTime RPI.com has us as the winner 74-64. I am predicting much closer than that.

Capture  isu vs osu wbb predictor.PNG

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Should be a hard fought game. As Boxter pointed out, OSU is basically a 2 trick pony with Mack and Grey. I also agree that ISU would have likely lost the game in Stillwater had Mack not got hurt early. But injuries are just part of the game and many teams have to live with it. I also agree that ISU has a deeper team with scoring threats after getting away from Joens and Scott than OSU has. Home court could and should be the deciding factor in this game.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was trying to figure out how Mack, as a Class of 2016, was only a junior. Found this from KRTE in Texas.

Mack shined in high school at Lufkin [high school] to become one of the Top 100 ESPN recruits, receiving offers from power 5 schools from all over the country. Mack would sign her Letter of Intent in November of 2015 for the University of Houston but she never enrolled in classes and was a no show for the team. She took a year off from school but after talking to the staff at Angelina College she decided to return to college basketball. By the time she was done at AC, Mack was the programs all-time leading rebounder, the all-time leading scorer, holder of multiple All-American accolades and helped the Lady Roadrunners make the NJCAA National Tournament for the first time in program history. It looks like that drive she found at AC has carried over to OSU.

With the gap year she took she is WNBA draft eligible this spring if she elects to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Buster28

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Was trying to figure out how Mack, as a Class of 2016, was only a junior.
With the gap year she took she is WNBA draft eligible this spring if she elects to do so.

She turned 22 in November, so she was actually eligible for the draft last year. (Because of the Ionescu discussion a couple weeks ago, I suddenly know a lot more than I used to about WNBA draft eligibility.)

https://wnbpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Player-Eligibility-WNBA-Draft-Module.pdf

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not pretty but decent score. ISU 17-11 after one. OSU looks lost on offense.

ISU still oddly bricking free throws.

Joens doing Joens things. 8 and 3

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good first half. Joens/Scott doing their thing.

Our not Joens/Scott a LOT better than their not Gray/Mack in the first half.

Reactions: Buster28

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
6:47 to go and we’ve equaled the MBB score. But we’re ahead.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Good win tonight. Sure need to get revenge on OU next before going on the road to TCU and TX. Those two will be tough.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
17-27 from the FT line was compensated by going 11-24 from long range. OSU was 15-26 from the FT line and 2-14 from deep. They make their freebies or hit a few more of those 3 point attempts, and this was potentially a very different outcome.

14 turnovers?! That's a... learning opportunity. o_O

A win is a win, no matter how unpretty it is.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
tenor.gif

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
17-27 from the FT line was compensated by going 11-24 from long range. OSU was 15-26 from the FT line and 2-14 from deep. They make their freebies or hit a few more of those 3 point attempts, and this was potentially a very different outcome.

A win is a win, no matter how unpretty it is.

A testimony as to how bad the not Gray/Macks are they turned down wide open three after wide open three. Guessing they just can't make them and they know it and we know it and we could just help on Gray. Can't decide if Gray is a ball hog or her mates are awful. Thinking it is maybe 25/75. MEM, Camber, Johnson would love to be left that open.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron