Recruiting and Rosters

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Great analysis as always. I am curious about your comment that Hunter Dekkers doesn't have elite arm strength. I remember reading that his HS coach claimed that he could throw the ball 76 yards in the air. I know that coaches tend over hype their players but then he finished second at the elite 11 with a distance of 67 yards. Is arm strength more than just the ability to heave the ball down field?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I hope Heacock revisits the four man front this off season. With the emergence of Zach Peterson, why not start him opposite JaQuan? Slide Uwazurike inside to DT & let Bankston try to make plays instead of just occupying blockers.

I'm also not so sure Tucker stays @ DT. It looks like he's trimmed down and was playing the edge last fall.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Great analysis as always. I am curious about your comment that Hunter Dekkers doesn't have elite arm strength. I remember reading that his HS coach claimed that he could throw the ball 76 yards in the air. I know that coaches tend over hype their players but then he finished second at the elite 11 with a distance of 67 yards. Is arm strength more than just the ability to heave the ball down field?
Yes, it is. It is certainly and indicator off arm strength but there is a difference between making a long toss and driving a ball 40 yards to a deep out. Think like an outfielder who can drill it home, certainly a strong arm. But he isn’t throwing 96 for 7 innings.

He has plenty of arm strength which is why I said he could throw the entire route tree. But, I don’t want him throwing a 20 yard out from the far hash.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I hope Heacock revisits the four man front this off season. With the emergence of Zach Peterson, why not start him opposite JaQuan? Slide Uwazurike inside to DT & let Bankston try to make plays instead of just occupying blockers.

I'm also not so sure Tucker stays @ DT. It looks like he's trimmed down and was playing the edge last fall.
It will be interesting to see if those type of adjustments are made. The talent seems to dictate it. But, it may depend on how they feel about losing a coverage player.

there is good positional flexibility in the interior line which I think is positive.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
It will be interesting to see if those type of adjustments are made. The talent seems to dictate it. But, it may depend on how they feel about losing a coverage player.

there is good positional flexibility in the interior line which I think is positive.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I don't want to see us abandon the 3-3-5 as it's fantastic for slowing down the likes of Tech & West Virginia. We can use it against power teams, but Eisworth gets worn down supporting the run as he's constantly punching above his weight. Greg may have a future playing on Sundays if he can stay healthy.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Or mix it up more. I agree with your thoughts. Losing Johnson and Lima is gonna make it tough for the 3 man front to stay effective.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
One of my favorite recent pieces. In agreement with most of it.

I'm SUPER excited about Tampa and McDonald.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Here are some thoughts and analysis on the 2020 class.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2020/02/recruiting-and-roster/

Jay,

As always, thanks for the great write-up.

One of my questions for CW last week was what does Andrews bring to the table that is worth an additional $200K. You touch on it a little bit about being physically worn down at the end of the season. Could you expand/have any knowledge about changes may be seen to improve this or how it can be prevented?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Jay,

One of my questions for CW last week was what does Andrews bring to the table that is worth an additional $200K. You touch on it a little bit about being physically worn down at the end of the season. Could you expand/have any knowledge about changes may be seen to improve this or how it can be prevented?
It may not seem like a important position, but the S&C coach is probably just as important as the OC and DC. Andrews has the responsibility to turn the boys into men, not only physically, but also mentally. The athletes spend A TON of time with the S&C coach, especially in the offseason.

Andrews is responsible for turning guys who run 4.5s into guys who run 4.4s and guys who finish games to guys who finish strong.

If he is as good as what others say he is, $200k is a bargain.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
It may not seem like a important position, but the S&C coach is probably just as important as the OC and DC. Andrews has the responsibility to turn the boys into men, not only physically, but also mentally. The athletes spend A TON of time with the S&C coach, especially in the offseason.

Andrews is responsible for turning guys who run 4.5s into guys who run 4.4s and guys who finish games to guys who finish strong.

If he is as good as what others say he is, $200k is a bargain.

He's making 470K, an increase of 200K from Wade.

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
Jay,

Strength and Conditioning is a delicate balance especially in today’s world where science and technology has expanded the choices and methods available for grooming athletes. Why is Chris Doyle worth a million bucks? Because his method produces well conditioned strong athletes that fit their system. A perfect storm.

The new hire at ISU has produced a loyal following of top level NFL athletes and promotes his emphasis on training for the fourth quarter. I do not know the specific methods utilized, but I do know that I need train to run two miles fast if I want to run a fast mile. Perhaps his stress and rest formulas are such that it produces greater endurance and power. That is what the hope is.

The money is market. Note also that Trevor Ryen worked on his staff. Trevor Ryen played under the prior coach. I suspect there is some insight in to the value of the different systems.

Final thought is that it is a recruiting based move as well. Iowa has a highly regarded guy. Nebraska has a Boyd Epley disciple. Now, Iowa State has a guy that gets NFL players to return to train with him. Evens the playing field on the recruiting trail.

Hooe it evens the playing field all around.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I see Blaze Doxzon - so of Todd Doxzon walking on. Says he was a 2 way player in high school. What position did he play on defense and will that be his initial position at Iowa State?

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I contribute to the site for content like this, love it. I am very excited for Bankston to step right in. Although he has shown flashes of talent, we simply got used to Lima and how technically sound he truly was. That will be difficult to replace.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: nickoff and JJIII

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron