Tips for Talking to HR People

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Be prepared for your co-workers to hate you if you leave for an extended period of time and they have to absorb your work while you are gone.

To be honest, the company may be happy to have an excuse to be rid of me. This is the least busy I’ve been in 11 years.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'd recommend watching Office Space to get some pointers.
9064701fa7d2afdec2c0658c804618c7.png

• Funny
Reactions: Clonefan32

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
there's a company up here that pays for a four week sabbatical every four years I think. Problem is they churn and burn people pretty fast so IDK how many ever get to utilize it.

Probably Epic right? I remember interviewing with them up in Madison and the first interviewer showed up barefoot and I knew right then it just wasn't my cup of tea.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Know the company policies. Know what you may be willing to sacrifice. You need to do a deep gut check on going forward with your request, based on your statement of least busy and possible job loss.Keep in mind HR represents the employer.

Reactions: Doc

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Probably Epic right? I remember interviewing with them up in Madison and the first interviewer showed up barefoot and I knew right then it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Yup. DH interviewed out of ISU too and as time went by I was glad that didn't pan out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In the morning find a way to get one of your "special" candles burning in their office so they are feeling fine when you ask for your time and have them sign it so you have proof.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
although, if it's an unpaid LOA......the company might not be so opposed.

That’s what I’m hoping for. I’m mostly just going to ask for PTO and another retirement benefit be reinstated if they decide to rehire me in a few months. If they win a few proposals they’ll take me back, and if they don’t they won’t.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I took a 12 week unpaid LOA this summer to travel with my wife. She's a teacher and was taking a student group to South Africa and also received an award in our local community that sponsored her on a fully paid international trip. I viewed it as a once in a lifetime type of opportuntiy to join her that I wasn't going to pass up.

I was very nervous about how to approach talking to my company about my intentions. I wrote out exactly what I wanted to say and rehearsed it several times ahead of time. Going in with a plan on what my situation was and what I was asking for was very helpful. The main point I got across was that I was planning on going on this trip no matter what, but would love to return back to my job, if possible.

I felt more comfortable speaking to my manager first, then he helped facilitate a meeting between us two and HR. I realize this might not be the same route others would feel comfortable taking, but I didn't want the feeling of going behind his back and was trying to be as honest as possible.

The conversations went surprisingly well and I was lucky that my company granted me a 12 week unproctected LOA. Basically, I was taking unpaid time off but if my position was eliminated during that time I was not guaranteed my job back. I was nervous because there were some layoffs this summer but luckily I was safe and able to come back to my current role.

Long story short: go in with a plan, be honest, and keep it professional. I think the 12 weeks I took off was the best professional decision I've made. I came back with a clearer mind, new perspective and was told by several coworkers that I seemed like I was in a much better place mentally. Always remember to take care of yourself because nobody else is going to do it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I’m trying to get a lengthy leave of absence while not breaking bridges.

Then just lead with that. This is what I want to do, but I want to stay here. Some companies give you a month of leave every 5 years for just this sorta thing.

Reactions: Doc

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
As an HR professional, I always appreciate honesty and can’t stand ulterior motives and games people want to play. I would be more agreeable to requests when there doesn’t appear to be an angle that is being exploited.

Does your supervisor support a LOA? Does your company consider yourself a valuable employee with solid performance? That makes a difference as well.

A work coverage plan is a good idea. How much time are we talking about here?

3-5 but could be out in 18 months with good behavior... :p

• Funny
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Doc and dosry5