Testifying
If you stare at it head on it’ll burn your eyes out
Screen-Shot-2017-08-22-at-9.15.08-AM.png

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Call it the Flutie Effect or whatever, but there is hard evidence that when your men's basketball team makes the tournament, it can boost student enrollment by 3% the September after the tournament and 4-5%the year after that. So, when our men's team does not perform well enough to make the tournament, it not only has an impact on ticket sales and donations, it also had an impact on tuition dollars. At what point do we think the Administration will question what going on?

I'm not sure "hard evidence" means what you think it means.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
pubsonline?

Of course, they are world renowned for their statistical analysis of these types of things. That's why they provide all of their published research for free like other reputable sources.

See, there is a pretty big movement in academic circles to open access journals, both to escape the outlandish costs established journals are charging and to make research accessible to the world at large rather than just talking to themselves.

Nice intelligent response, but open access by itself doesn't imply a lack of quality or academic rigor now.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was lucky enough to get to watch both Don Smith and Bill Cain play together at the same time (1967-68) at the old Armory. Loved the steel bleachers and walkways. We could produce some real "Armory Magic"! Even with those two playing we finished 12-13, 8-6.

By the way, the next year we had an enrollment increase of 7.4%. This must have been due to our dismal showing in basketball (12-13) and football (2-6-2). The reverse flutie effect in action?

We didn't have the guards to match up with the likes of Jo Jo White and his level of player.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Still some of my best sports memories are watching him play in the Old Armory. It was my introduction to attending college games. Cain averaged a double-double for his career. Magic stuff before we named it that. We would win at home and lose on the road, sorta like Johnny. Team was one good player away from being really good.

Also makes me feel old when I see that gray bearded Eric Heft at court-side. Watched him play freshman ball in the Armory back when freshman weren't eligible. Even with Hilton open they played their games in the old venue.

My Frosh year was Hercle Ivy's Sr year. Doesn't is seem like an Iowa St thing - to always be short 1-player from being an awesome team & season.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think the University will manage to survive.

But on another note, I have already heard the bartenders at KC Live are worried. They know how much we spend and tip. An early exit by ISU greatly reduces their incomes.

I think the gluttons for punishment that DO go down may be drinking harder than normal to drown sorrows so could be a wash?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think the gluttons for punishment that DO go down may be drinking harder than normal to drown sorrows so could be a wash?
I can't cast stones. All of the times I went to KC for the tournament I watched every Men's game in a bar (usually Kelly's). I did go to one Women's game, the championship game in 2000, though.

Reactions: aauummm