The Fran fade

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The people posting here said it was awful and Iowa shot 20 3 pointers but still got to the line 32 times. That's unheard of. I mean the 28-15 foul discrepancy is pretty telling

So basically you have no idea because you didn't watch the game.

• Agree
Reactions: Legend Hawk

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The people posting here said it was awful and Iowa shot 20 3 pointers but still got to the line 32 times. That's unheard of. I mean the 28-15 foul discrepancy is pretty telling

It is entirely possible that Wisconsin committed 28 fouls and Iowa committed 15 fouls, right?

I don't think I'd put a ton of stock in the impartiality of Iowa State fan's assessment of the officiating in an Iowa game.

• Agree
Reactions: Legend Hawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just think Iowa will be vulnerable when Purdue comes to town plus Carver isn't intimidating and Painter > Fran
Carver is becoming better as the team has gotten better. And although Painter vs. Fran isn't a debate, Iowa has shown to be better than Purdue so far. Just because Painter is a better coach, it doesn't mean Iowa won't win the game.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Reputable posters on here said it was terrible. Even KXNO was talking about how one sided it was

LOL, who said that on KXNO? I know the ISU posters who said it on here, and they are far from reputable.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Trent Condon

If he said the officiating was bad, he meant they should have called more fouls on Wisconsin. I mean the refs seriously let Davison throw an upper nutter punch and didn't call a foul on it.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If he said the officiating was bad, he meant they should have called more fouls on Wisconsin. I mean the refs seriously let Davison throw an upper nutter punch and didn't call a foul on it.

No he said the officiating was one sided in favor of Iowa

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The referees did not lose the game for Wisconsin, just like the referees didn't lose the game for Illinois. Iowa was favored in both of the games. They're going to receive a little bit of home-cooking, but not enough for it to be the reason why the outcome was the way it was. If you're a good team playing at home, you're going to get a lot of calls you would not get if you were playing on the road against a good team. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Iowa is doing some things really well:

1) Playing team basketball. They recognize their strengths and play through them.
2) Play physical. They lean on teams the entire game and get to the foul line.
3) Nice offensive balance. Garza and Weiskamp are good players.

Where Iowa will fail:

1) Playing zone defense. It covers up their lack of quickness, but generally zone defense teams never do very well in tournaments. The great teams pick it apart.
2) Coaching. Fran is 60 years old, been a head coach for 24 years, has made the NCAA tournament 9 times and has never reached the sweet sixteen. His teams have been a disappointment in the big 10 tournament, and his only post success occurred at Sienna in the powerful MAAC conference. If it is not this year for Fran...then when will success ever occur?

Iowa will finish second in the big 10 conference, will finish second in the big 10 tournament, and will reach the sweet sixteen before losing to Memphis. This is their year.

Hawkize31

Jul 6, 2010
I see you've moved on from the "Garza isn't clutch" narrative after he demolished it against Illinois. Now its "Fran will fade like always". I can feel how desperately you're hoping for it to happen. Maybe you'll luck out.

If it doesn't happen, you'll move on to something new equally as dumb. Typically its some stat with incredibly narrow and specific qualifiers that you obviously searched for to make a specific player look bad, but you'll pretend you stumbled across it.

Garza shoots just 18% in the first 3 minutes of games against top 25 conference opponents on the road against teams with centers over 6'10". Imagine thinking he's good.

Most people would slow down the trolling while Iowa is clearly the better program across the board and having a great year, but you do you. Maybe its as fun for you to come up with these trolls as it is for Hawk fans to point out how ridiculous they are.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I see you've moved on from the "Garza isn't clutch" narrative after he demolished it against Illinois. Now its "Fran will fade like always". I can feel how desperately you're hoping for it to happen. Maybe you'll luck out.

If it doesn't happen, you'll move on to something new equally as dumb. Typically its some stat with incredibly narrow and specific qualifiers that you obviously searched for to make a specific player look bad, but you'll pretend you stumbled across it.

Garza shoots just 18% in the first 3 minutes of games against top 25 conference opponents on the road against teams with centers over 6'10". Imagine thinking he's good.

Most people would slow down the trolling while Iowa is clearly the better program across the board and having a great year, but you do you. Maybe its as fun for you to come up with these trolls as it is for Hawk fans to point out how ridiculous they are.

Garza isn't clutch