The magic is gone

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
In 2016, sold 4 of my 5 tickets to Baylor game via ISU Ticket Exchange, got $594. In 2017, it was $442. This year tickets were available in numerous sections for $5.

In the 2016 season, we couldn't attend the Baylor game. Sold our 4 seats in 14th row of balcony for $594 ($148.50/ticket avg) on ISU ticket exchange. The market has changed for sure.
I apologize you aren't able to gouge people on prices anymore.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
if you want to keep the magic alive, you gotta do as my pastor said in marriage counseling before we married. You gotta Woo her, not yell down woman. You gotta Woo her.

I read the thread title and nothing else, but wanted to pass along advice I received before I got married.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: cyhigh and ISUKyro

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

I think the bigger issue is that many people buy season tickets in order to go to half and sell the other half. When the markets goes to nothing (which is what is currently is) lots of those people are going to cancel their season tickets. That not a huge issue if you have people in the on-deck circle who are willing to donate but right now that’s not the case. Who wants to donate $2,500 for upper level (middle) balcony seats and then pay $425 per season ticket. If I have 4 season tickets that means I’m paying $4,200 for the whole season and seeing 17 games. Not many going to sign up for that “deal” unless the roster or coach changes.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Prohm now 12-11 against power conference opponents in Hilton since the start of the 17-18 season not to mention the embarrassing UW-Milwaukee loss. He's done it, he's killed the Magic.
Although I am a believer in the Magic, it is dependent on quality of the team. If we are competitive it will pull us through. No amount of Magic was going to help us beat Baylor, given the talent mismatch.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think the bigger issue is that many people buy season tickets in order to go to half and sell the other half. When the markets goes to nothing (which is what is currently is) lots of those people are going to cancel their season tickets. That not a huge issue if you have people in the on-deck circle who are willing to donate but right now that’s not the case. Who wants to donate $2,500 for upper level (middle) balcony seats and then pay $425 per season ticket. If I have 4 season tickets that means I’m paying $4,200 for the whole season and seeing 17 games. Not many going to sign up for that “deal” unless the roster or coach changes.

Stinks to be them. I can't see any reason why the AD should care at all about people's secondary market sales.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
if you want to keep the magic alive, you gotta do as my pastor said in marriage counseling before we married. You gotta Woo her, not yell down woman. You gotta Woo her.

I read the thread title and nothing else, but wanted to pass along advice I received before I got married.

I'll say it again:

Cannons and sirens after every made 3 pointer.

And if ISU shoots 3s like they have this year typically, cannon and sirens if it's determined that it looked like it was going in even if it misses.

Reactions: ISUKyro

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
The fans are a small part of it, you still have to have Magicians and Tyrese is the only one we have!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I moved back to Iowa last year, When I was in school and a young alum in Ames, I rarely missed a game. However, as a working adult in DSM, it's a bit more challenging. I'm up for a day game @ Hilton on Saturday or Sunday, but those are rare. Night games - especially during the week are just a pain after a hard day of work. That being said, I am looking forward to the Texas game (1 pm tip) on 2/15! In the mean-time, it's much easier for me to go to a Drake game, so I do that from time to time. Knapp Center sucks from an engineering point of view, but it's a good time, and I enjoy the MVC ball.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I moved back to Iowa last year, When I was in school and a young alum in Ames, I rarely missed a game. However, as a working adult in DSM, it's a bit more challenging. I'm up for a day game @ Hilton on Saturday or Sunday, but those are rare. Night games - especially during the week are just a pain after a hard day of work. That being said, I am looking forward to the Texas game (1 pm tip) on 2/15! In the mean-time, it's much easier for me to go to a Drake game, so I do that from time to time. Knapp Center sucks from an engineering point of view, but it's a good time, and I enjoy the MVC ball.
Better product this year. Plus you don't have to be a member of the elite to get beer.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

LOL. They had the choice to buy other tickets and they chose mine, the ones listed at the lowest price in the section. Supply and demand is a tricky thing like that. I've also given away tickets for free on this site during at least one of those seasons.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Stinks to be them. I can't see any reason why the AD should care at all about people's secondary market sales.

It's gotta hurt both season tickets and the primary market to have the value of a ticket plummet. As was mentioned before, I think alot of people buy season tickets with the idea they can make a portion of their money back selling the games they don't go to. Couple the inability to defray the cost with bad basketball and you'll see a dip in season ticket sales.

I also don't think people will be signing up to buy tickets for face value through the University when you can buy on the secondary market for next to nothing.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006

giphy.gif

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

Like this?

tenor.gif

Edit: Haha Cydcar, you bested me after I got sidetracked! Nice.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cydar

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

I go to some Drake games also ....btw I cannot afford season tickets to ISU...and an aside re the Knapp Center...a good friend of mine was the Job Superintent ...when we built the Knapp Center....I had a few problems with some of the sub contractors on the job but otherwise it went really well...and remember GO Cyclones and BEAT the Purple Kansan's!

Reactions: AlaCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I expect this thread to be reserected next year.

They'll win tonight and the 'See? Everything's fine!' crowd will rear around.

Losing is really hard to overcome so hopefully ISU can find some spark.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron