Pedestrian Bridge

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I would like to get more specifics about the proposed alternative for those of us in the D-lots. On paper, the additional parking looks like it is gravel and/or comparable to the G lot. Neither is ideal for RV's and big RV-related tailgates.

You can bet that they'll have a plan. There's absolutely zero chance that they'll be moving all of those RVs to grass lots. Maybe for a year, but definitely not long term.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
They are going to have to add a gondola from those parking lots to Hilton for winter. Hard enough to fill Hilton as it is.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Looking at it I have a hard time believing they would have ramps capable of supporting bike traffic. I would guess stairs on both sides with an elevator to accommodate disabilities. Besides are you really going to ride up a ramp that steep just to cover 100 feet of road and go down the other side? It would be easier to just go down to the stop lights.
The west end of the bridge extends all of the way across University Ave to the stadium. The gameday foot traffic from the eastern parking lots would be separated from vehicular traffic on University Ave and also from the parking/tailgating area east of the stadium and then terminate at the concourse level in the stadium . The Alamo Bowl has a similar concept as do many other stadiums, event centers, downtowns, airports, Vegas, Scheman/Hilton, etc. It's more of a skywalk than just a pedestrian bridge.

There are many of them in the Des Moines area; Grand View University over NE 14th St, downtown skywalk system, MercyOne Hospital downtown, the Des Moines Airport, etc.
Ped Bridge_2020-02-01.jpg

Ped Bridge 2020-02-01-2.jpg

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I heard it's going to extend all the way to Iowa City to give the EIU marching band a clear exit.
giphy.gif

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The west end of the bridge extends all of the way across University Ave to the stadium. The gameday foot traffic from the eastern parking lots would be separated from vehicular traffic on University Ave and the parking/tailgating area east of the stadium. The Alamo Bowl has a similar concept as do many other stadiums, event centers, etc. View attachment 70001

View attachment 70002

It almost looks like some sort of building there on the east end of stadium now. Perhaps it is an additional elevator.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The west end of the bridge extends all of the way across University Ave to the stadium. The gameday foot traffic from the eastern parking lots would be separated from vehicular traffic on University Ave and the parking/tailgating area east of the stadium. The Alamo Bowl has a similar concept as do many other stadiums, event centers, etc. View attachment 70001

View attachment 70002

That's a pretty big price tag, so I wonder if the whole east gate gets redone as part of the project. Sure looks like it from the plans. Those renderings look awesome.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A one-dimensional drawing of how the various buildings and thoroughfares (both vehicular and pedestrian) could lay out.

Uhhmm, Wouldn't that be a line and not a drawing?

What they do is create the CAD drawing and then convert the file to binary. Then, they illustrate that code using line and space segments.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
So is this going to have ramps up and down or steps? Cause it may he nice for bicycle traffic on non-gamedays.

The other side is directly connected to JTS. I don't think you'll have any need to ride your bike up/down if that is the only destination.

• Agree

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I ******* love pedestrian bridges. There’s one near my house and it has all these inspirational quotes about walking and biking on it. You can read quotes from Nietzche while morons in Subarus whizzing under you provide the soundtrack.

• Funny