Pedestrian Bridge

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I knew the Athletic Department was planning a pedestrian bridge over University Boulevard, but I had no idea the bridge would extend all the way to the stadium's east concourse. That will be really nice for both the pedestrians and the cars!

This will be presented at the February Board of Regents Meeting:

Stadium gateway bridge

Athletics department officials will present to the board's property and facilities committee a request to begin planning a pedestrian bridge over University Boulevard east of Jack Trice Stadium. The project would include an elevated walkway all the way to the stadium's east concourse to create a safer pedestrian route between the stadium and parking, and enhance the south entry to campus. Its estimated cost, $8-12 million, would be funded with athletics department operating funds and private gifts.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It does look like the walkway does continue on.
5d815ec22fad9.image.png

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This is the first step to Pollard's entertainment district plan. You can't turn those D lots into a construction zone and not have a place for those people to park. It's going to relieve some of the congestion around the east gate for sure and probably all gates by adding a new entry point. And, it will help with all the people who usually line up at the stoplights on S. 4th and S. 16th crossing University, which will actually help with traffic leaving games. That's a huge price tag, but it should be pretty nice. I'm excited to see the project plans.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is the first step to Pollard's entertainment district plan. You can't turn those D lots into a construction zone and not have a place for those people to park. It's going to relieve some of the congestion around the east gate for sure and probably all gates by adding a new entry point. And, it will help with all the people who usually line up at the stoplights on S. 4th and S. 16th crossing University, which will actually help with traffic leaving games. That's a huge price tag, but it should be pretty nice. I'm excited to see the project plans.

Should also ease some of the south and east gate lines as this essentially adds a new entrance gate at the upper deck level that i imagine a good number from the grass lots will take (have to imagine this will be the new required student entry)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I would like to get more specifics about the proposed alternative for those of us in the D-lots. On paper, the additional parking looks like it is gravel and/or comparable to the G lot. Neither is ideal for RV's and big RV-related tailgates.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
They had a clear exit last time, yet chose to ignore instructions and instead plow into a crowd at a more crowded exit. So unfortunately this won't help in that regard.
You act like you’re surprised that UI students can’t follow simple directions.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This bridge serves 2 purposes. 6-7 days a year for crowd safety. 365 days a year as a "gateway to the university"
They really need to cover it for 2 purposes. For 8 million bucks it should have a cover for rain/snow. Also, there’s no freakin way Busch light cans don’t go flying off the top of that bad boy.

• Funny
Reactions: MrPeske

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So is this going to have ramps up and down or steps? Cause it may he nice for bicycle traffic on non-gamedays.
Looking at it I have a hard time believing they would have ramps capable of supporting bike traffic. I would guess stairs on both sides with an elevator to accommodate disabilities. Besides are you really going to ride up a ramp that steep just to cover 100 feet of road and go down the other side? It would be easier to just go down to the stop lights.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman