Is Lewis injured because

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
To say they are frustrated with Lewis and his development here would be an understatement
Based on this year's on court production, there's no reason Grill, Jackson, Nixon should be getting the minutes they're getting. Are they also disappointed with Nixon's development over his sit out year?

• Agree
Reactions: brycy and Cyfanisu

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Well he's definitely not happy with Lewis or else he'd be playing correct? Maybe mad isn't the correct wording, disappointed probably fits more with this situation.
I don't know that we can assume or rationalize any of Steve's decision at this point. As another poster commented, Steve's more than spent his benefit of the doubt.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't know that we can assume or rationalize any of Steve's decision at this point. As another poster commented, Steve's more than spent his benefit of the doubt.

to be fair, I’ve never seen you post even a somewhat positive thing about him. So your view isn’t exactly credible.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: bozclone and Cycsk

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Based on this year's on court production, there's no reason Grill, Jackson, Nixon should be getting the minutes they're getting. Are they also disappointed with Nixon's development over his sit out year?

Key words there is on court production

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So kicking Terrence off the team while the season is going on is the right decision? Potentially putting a kid on the street? Terrence isn't exactly from the suburbs of Des Moines, Iowa where he can go home to a nice situation. For some kids, basketball is the only thing in their life and the ability to some day make money for them and a family is incredibly important. Lewis has a year left after this year and Coach Prohm is trying to help Terrence deal with his issues because if for some reason basketball doesn't work out for him, he'll be better ready for life afterwords. He's trying to not only help Lewis right now, but for next year to be a contributor to the team but that'll only happen if it's a two way street between the two of them.

Even if he gets kicked off the team now unless I’m unaware he’d still have the scholarship and stuff for the rest of the year. If it isn’t an NCAA violation I’m not even opposed to helping him get through his final year separate from the team. At the end of the day it’s been mixed signals. If it’s a persistent issue then, even if it’s minor, the persistence makes it more of an issue. Suspend him for a game. Suspend him for a half. Heck suspend him for the first 10 minutes. Playing him for two minutes when we are in foul trouble says it’s an issue unless I need you to win. That’s an awful message to send.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Even if he gets kicked off the team now unless I’m unaware he’d still have the scholarship and stuff for the rest of the year. If it isn’t an NCAA violation I’m not even opposed to helping him get through his final year separate from the team. At the end of the day it’s been mixed signals. If it’s a persistent issue then, even if it’s minor, the persistence makes it more of an issue. Suspend him for a game. Suspend him for a half. Heck suspend him for the first 10 minutes. Playing him for two minutes when we are in foul trouble says it’s an issue unless I need you to win. That’s an awful message to send.
The message is even dumber, he didn't need the 2 minutes to help win, he could have done any number of other things and just not played Lewis. It's crazy that people think this sort of ****** back and forth has some sort of teacher moment thing going. Why 2 and not 10? If not 10 then why not just zero. It's hard to imagine a reason for the two minutes at all if he's teaching. It absolutely makes no sense, none.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I will say it again Steve Prohm is the basketball coach for Iowa State. He isn’t the life coach for Terrence Lewis. It’s great when you can do both but basketball comes first. If he isn’t meeting the standards and has consistently had issues for 3 years then it’s time for him to get kicked off the team.

Just like he either should have been suspended for the game or he should have been playing in the game. We don’t know the full situation but there needs to be clear rules and consequences.

All of our coaches talk about how they want the best for their players. They talk about this a lot during recruitment. It is silly to try to separate entirely the coaching of basketball from the mentoring for life when you are dealing with college-age student-athletes.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Let me preface this by saying that I have no inside information on the actual situation. But what if Lewis is having mental health issues. For instance, did you see the way he had his head down after missing the corner 3 at the end of the Auburn game? Maybe he being too hard on himself. Maybe he can't get out of his own funk at not performing to his own expectations (or the expectations of his father who was his high school coach). Should Prohm parade this information at a press conference, particularly if Lewis doesn't want his struggles made public? Again, I don't have any idea if this is the case, but it would be a scenario in which Prohm shouldn't give us any specific information. Thus, I'll choose to assume it is something like this that should remain private.

Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The message is even dumber, he didn't need the 2 minutes to help win, he could have done any number of other things and just not played Lewis. It's crazy that people think this sort of ****** back and forth has some sort of teacher moment thing going. Why 2 and not 10? If not 10 then why not just zero. It's hard to imagine a reason for the two minutes at all if he's teaching. It absolutely makes no sense, none.
Again we all have no idea what the situation is. What if Prohm told Lewis I'm only going to play you if we get into foul trouble? That's a restriction of minutes that are part of the punishment.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Again we all have no idea what the situation is. What if Prohm told Lewis I'm only going to play you if we get into foul trouble? That's a restriction of minutes that are part of the punishment.
Why would that be contentious to say in a post game?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why would that be contentious to say in a post game?
It was just an example. I have no idea what the situation is between the two of them, and neither does anyone else. I posted quotes that Coach Prohm and Lewis gave after the OU game earlier in the month, and both of them seemed to be on the same page as to their relationship. Lewis seemed to understand what Coach Prohm was doing and why he's doing it. We're the only ones that don't know and we also don't deserve to know, especially if it's all stemming from off the court issues.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
What message does that send to the other players? There's a guy on the bench that might be able to help us but who know if he'll play tonight. Depends on if he learned some warm fuzzy feel good life lesson. I say this agreeing with you that we don't know the situation and I still give steve the benefit of the doubt. But when he has the exact same situations every year, it becomes a trend opens up other questions.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What message does that send to the other players? There's a guy on the bench that might be able to help us but who know if he'll play tonight. Depends on if he learned some warm fuzzy feel good life lesson. I say this agreeing with you that we don't know the situation and I still give steve the benefit of the doubt. But when he has the exact same situations every year, it becomes a trend opens up other questions.

Nobody on the team is questioning Lewis' minutes. Trust me on that one

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I love Campbell but when it comes certain types of information he is pretty evasive and some times intentionally misleading

Haha, yep! Like JGJ's "injury" against ND that prevented him from playing. Flat out lie.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
To say they are frustrated with Lewis and his development here would be an understatement

I'm going to go with this. Lewis is a guy who the team visibly roots for when he's on the court. When he's had success the whole team has been incredibly demonstrative. So, the team is with him. That typically doesn't happen to someone who's engaged and shows effort. Also, when he's on the court, consistent effort is not a problem. I don't get how it turns game to game. I fully understand that maybe he didn't do what he needed to coming into the season and you don't want to play him. No issue there. What I don't get is how you sit him for a whole game with no reasonable run after he just sparked your team on the road against a top 25 team when you need the help. If we had a good team, then maybe I get it but we have a glaring lack of shooters and we aren't good defensively anyway so it just makes zero sense especially considering it's not like he's been in trouble with the law. He's also one of the guys who's engaged on the bench while he's not playing.

Also, if we're so into sending messages why is practice so much more important than games? If you practice well and play like **** when it matters, how is that any better than the inverse? Again, I get that early on when someone can be in a funk but it's pretty clear right now for a couple guys it's not a funk.