Kobe Bryant is dead

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What am I missing? He was never convicted of rape was he? He denied the "rape" part, correct? Admitted to having consensual sex?

I'm not saying he did or didn't. It just seems some are convinced that's he's guilty. Why is that?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
What am I missing? He was never convicted of rape was he? He denied the "rape" part, correct? Admitted to having consensual sex?

I'm not saying he did or didn't. It just seems some are convinced that's he's guilty. Why is that?
I'd recommend reading up on it and forming your own opinion, but at least in my opinion it's pretty clear he was guilty. He started off by saying nothing happened, then changed his story into it being consensual. Then settled with her and said he can see now why she didn't think it was consensual.

I've just felt weird about this whole situation ever since hearing the news Sunday. I was very anti-Kobe during his playing days for no other reason than some of my friends worshipping the guy. For whatever reason it's still made me feel funny even though I wasn't a fan of him. I think it mostly has to do with him being one of the biggest icons on the planet and seemed to be a good guy with a whole lot of life ahead of him. Even though I don't have kids, his daughter dying has bugged me the most. Some things just don't make sense

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You make some valid points
No one event good or bad should frame a person's life. But there is a time when both need to be discussed.

Angie you always seem to present level headed comments

I don't deserve that - but thank you. I can give you my husband's phone number to share that! ;)

You were asking valid questions in a respectful manner - I think that many people don't understand why some people are not as glowing in their memories, or why they are measuring their responses (just as there are others who don't understand the positive articles). It's an important dialogue both here about Kobe, and a bigger one for society at large.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Some interesting speculation towards the end of this video...pilot might have been trying to get to a helipad a mile away...

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Yep the guy is dead because he was selfish. He bought that stupid helicopter because he wanted to be able drop his daughters off at school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon. And attend school events. So he knew he had to fly back and forth to El Segundo to make that happen

He did not want to live in apartment near the practice facility. He did not want to uproot the family to Manhattan Beach.

I live in LA and I know how incredibly difficult it can be to get from work to school activities.

Made bad decisions but by all accounts his last, 10 years or so he stepped up and showed in many ways that he was a pretty great guy.

It's sad he will not have an opportunity to continue to
prove you wrong
Not sure what this has to do with the price of rice in China.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Not sure what this has to do with the price of rice in China.

has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

But it does disprove the comments about you thinking him an a-hole.

Sounds like there will be a memorial service at some point in the LA Coliseum .
Holds 80,000, and if they let people on the field it could hold over 100,000..
Will be quite the event.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
did you tell her he also had his arms around a 19 year old while married?

I've been on the wrong end of an affair, and even I can tell you this comment is completely out of line and unnecessary. People make mistakes, and if you spend your whole life judging them for the mistakes, that says more about you then it does them, especially someone who has gone to great lengths to prove he is more than just that mistake.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've been on the wrong end of an affair, and even I can tell you this comment is completely out of line and unnecessary. People make mistakes, and if you spend your whole life judging them for the mistakes, that says more about you then it does them, especially someone who has gone to great lengths to prove he is more than just that mistake.

At first, when he did the whole defense of, "I choked her because this other extramarital affair chick and I have done it several times and it was okay with her" was extra-strength ****ty (besides it just not making it okay) because I was thinking, "Well, how is he using another affair as a defense? His poor wife."

But as I get older, I think you realize that you just can't know someone else's relationship. He and his wife may have an open relationship and she didn't care, so long as he was being safe. I'm sure there's a certain amount that you either have to work around/fight or just accept when your spouse is on the road for over half the year. She may have decided to accept it, what do I know?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd recommend reading up on it and forming your own opinion, but at least in my opinion it's pretty clear he was guilty. He started off by saying nothing happened, then changed his story into it being consensual. Then settled with her and said he can see now why she didn't think it was consensual.

I've just felt weird about this whole situation ever since hearing the news Sunday. I was very anti-Kobe during his playing days for no other reason than some of my friends worshipping the guy. For whatever reason it's still made me feel funny even though I wasn't a fan of him. I think it mostly has to do with him being one of the biggest icons on the planet and seemed to be a good guy with a whole lot of life ahead of him. Even though I don't have kids, his daughter dying has bugged me the most. Some things just don't make sense

I'll start by saying I liked Kobe as a player.

However, I do think the whole "mamba mentality" thing is over done. In watching alot of his tributes, people talked about what a fierce competitor he was, and what a great thing that is. I guess I'm not as convinced this ruthless, take-no-prisoners, anything-to-win approach is actually something to celebrate. I think it's pretty well documented he was more than willing to sacrifice personal relationships in order to "win" and I guess that's just not a great personal attribute if you're asking me.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I'll start by saying I liked Kobe as a player.

However, I do think the whole "mamba mentality" thing is over done. In watching alot of his tributes, people talked about what a fierce competitor he was, and what a great thing that is. I guess I'm not as convinced this ruthless, take-no-prisoners, anything-to-win approach is actually something to celebrate. I think it's pretty well documented he was more than willing to sacrifice personal relationships in order to "win" and I guess that's just not a great personal attribute if you're asking me.

Not for everyone for sure. I think most athletes they appreciate that drive they are the ones that really seem to preach Mamba mentality.

And maybe the last few years he was about atoning for some of those relationships he ignored. By all accounts, if you listen to those that knew him best, its as though he realized these last few years life is short and what was important was family and friends. Does not mean he was not going to succeed at whatever he tried going forward, but balance was there.

The only coaching desire it seems he had was his daughters team. No desire to sit on an NBA or college bench. or work in an NBA office. There was talk of him buying a piece of the Lakers some day, but I really wonder if he really wanted that

People with drive and strong desires to succeed at whatever they do shape a big part of this world we live in. All of have reaped the benefits of those people in so many ways.

But your point is valid, it those that can balance both drive and life,, those are probably the ones we should appreciate most.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not for everyone for sure. And maybe the last few years he was about atoning for some of those relationships he ignored. By all accounts, if you listen to those that knew him best, its as though he realized these last few years life is short and what was important was family and friends.

The only coaching desire it seems he had was his daughters team. No desire to sit on an NBA or college bench. or work in an NBA office. There was talk of him buying a piece of the Lakers some day, but I really wonder if he really wanted that

People with drive and strong desires to succeed at whatever they do shape a big part of this world we live in. All of have reaped the benefits of those people in so many ways.

But your point is valid, it those that can balance both drive and life, are probably the ones we should appreciate most.

I think there's definitely a message in there somewhere. Commit to doing things well, give things your all, etc. However, it seemed like with Kobe it definitely reached a point where it was very asocial behavior, and I think lauding him for that may be a bit misguided.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

But it does disprove the comments about you thinking him an a-hole.

Sounds like there will be a memorial service at some point in the LA Coliseum .
Holds 80,000, and if they let people on the field it could hold over 100,000..
Will be quite the event.
Great fans in LA

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think there's definitely a message in there somewhere. Commit to doing things well, give things your all, etc. However, it seemed like with Kobe it definitely reached a point where it was very asocial behavior, and I think lauding him for that may be a bit misguided.

You are not wrong,, guy was a total prick sometimes, winning meant everything.
If you are a player at least on a professional level you are going to embrace it. Its why you do what you do.

Fans watch sports hope like their team wins it all at some point, Kobe brought LA 5 titles, fans are going to embrace Kobe's winner take all commitment. Selfishly that is what they care about. Kobe took very good care of the fans.

I sat through lots years of the LA Kings losing. It was fun to watch but will be honest the years they finally won it all nothing like it, I will never forget it and will always be thankful to those players

Drew Doughty the all star defensemen and one of the best in the NHL, is a freaking *******, but he is our ******* and we put up with him. He too, just has a stupid drive to succeed. though he seems to be mellowing now, recently got married. He just turned 30.

Kobe got married at 24, A guys like Kobe probably should not look to have a wife that young. Believe the stories are his dad did not like Vanessa at all, and that drove Kobe to the alter even sooner. He and his father were not close.

Then again Lebron has been with his wife how long and he seems to balance family life and winning pretty well. His biggest transgression it seems was the way he handled the Miami announcement. So it can be done.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
You are not wrong,, guy was a total prick sometimes, winning meant everything.
If you are a player at least on a professional level you are going to embrace it. Its why you do what you do.

Fans watch sports hope like their team wins it all at some point, Kobe brought LA 5 titles, fans are going to embrace Kobe's winner take all commitment. Selfishly that is what they care about. Kobe took very good care of the fans.

I sat through lots years of the LA Kings losing. It was fun to watch but will be honest the years they finally won it all nothing like it, I will never forget it and will always be thankful to those players

Drew Doughty the all star defensemen and one of the best in the NHL, is a freaking *******, but he is our ******* and we put up with him. He too, just has a stupid drive to succeed. though he seems to be mellowing now, recently got married. He just turned 30.

Kobe got married at 24, A guys like Kobe probably should not look to have a wife that young. Believe the stories are his dad did not like Vanessa at all, and that drove Kobe to the alter even sooner. He and his father were not close.

Then again Lebron has been with his wife how long and he seems to balance family life and winning pretty well. His biggest transgression it seems was the way he handled the Miami announcement. So it can be done.
Lebron got married in 2013 so he was around 30 when he got married. I just assume most these guys have girlfriends in most NBA locations.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
At first, when he did the whole defense of, "I choked her because this other extramarital affair chick and I have done it several times and it was okay with her" was extra-strength ****ty (besides it just not making it okay) because I was thinking, "Well, how is he using another affair as a defense? His poor wife."

But as I get older, I think you realize that you just can't know someone else's relationship. He and his wife may have an open relationship and she didn't care, so long as he was being safe. I'm sure there's a certain amount that you either have to work around/fight or just accept when your spouse is on the road for over half the year. She may have decided to accept it, what do I know?

Hey whatever floats someone's boat but open relationships are weird to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie