The magic is gone

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Empty seats and an apathetic fan base are pretty predictable outcomes for a team that is not often competitive. They do occasionally have games where they can shoot leading to their rare wins, but I don't see more that 5-6 victories the rest of the year. It would be nice if they would prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Cyfanisu

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
The entire pre-game atmosphere in Hilton leading up to tip-off is very average. Not turning this into a music/video discussion, but it's boring. Thought the same for "highly" anticipated games early in the season.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I was at the game. All in all a great crowd for the results we've had this year.

In 2016, sold 4 of my 5 tickets to Baylor game via ISU Ticket Exchange, got $594. In 2017, it was $442. This year tickets were available in numerous sections for $5.
Crowd was ok. Lots of empty seats. Had not been to a Big 12 game at Hilton in about 15 years so I don't know what the crowds were like when Hoiberg was coaching but boy it's sure quiet compared to the Orr,Floyd,Eustachy era. Was in Des Moines this afternoon and decided to walk up and buy a ticket. Bought a 3rd row lower level for $20 and might have overpaid. Go to every football game I can but won't be in a hurry to get back to Hilton anytime soon. Not a good sign that the fans base is apathetic even when playing #1 team in country.

In the 2016 season, we couldn't attend the Baylor game. Sold our 4 seats in 14th row of balcony for $594 ($148.50/ticket avg) on ISU ticket exchange. The market has changed for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfanisu

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
Years past, the rafters would be vibrating when we play the #1 team in the country at home. I thought I heard someone in the upper section drop a pin somewhere...

I brought a buddy with me. Hadn’t been to a game in Hilton in prob 10 years or so. He happens to be a hawk fan (not a douche). He commented during the first half saying “man it gets loud in here. Carver never gets even close to this loud.”

I told him it that this was hardly loud.

Had we hit a couple of those shots in second half the crowd wanted to explode. Hard to when team can’t hit a shot....overall the crowd was awesome, the students were awesome. We just don’t have a team to match.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
In 2016, sold 4 of my 5 tickets to Baylor game via ISU Ticket Exchange, got $594. In 2017, it was $442. This year tickets were available in numerous sections for $5.

In the 2016 season, we couldn't attend the Baylor game. Sold our 4 seats in 14th row of balcony for $594 ($148.50/ticket avg) on ISU ticket exchange. The market has changed for sure.

Bummer....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Years past, the rafters would be vibrating when we play the #1 team in the country at home. I thought I heard someone in the upper section drop a pin somewhere...
How would you be able to hear that since you were clearly screaming your head off trying to get the crowd going? Oh, you weren't? Then you are as much to blame as anyone.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I feel bad saying this but I've had free tickets offered to me several times this year that I haven't taken. It's the kind of thing I appreciate being able to watch on TV on turn off when it gets bad.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I feel bad saying this but I've had free tickets offered to me several times this year that I haven't taken. It's the kind of thing I appreciate being able to watch on TV on turn off when it gets bad.
I went to every single game in 2017-2018 and if I still had the ability, I would still go to every single game but I'm no longer in school and now live a couple of hours away from Ames. Support the team when it's down. Complain about it, be pissed about it, but don't stop going to games. The people that stop going to games are usually the same people that complain about attendance dropping.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I went to every single game in 2017-2018 and if I still had the ability, I would still go to every single game but I'm no longer in school and now live a couple of hours away from Ames. Support the team when it's down. Complain about it, be pissed about it, but don't stop going to games. The people that stop going to games are usually the same people that complain about attendance dropping.

I get what you are saying, but I have 4 kids. Driving an hour both ways to Ames, often on a weeknight, to watch very sub-par basketball is just not a great use of my time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get what you are saying, but I have 4 kids. Driving an hour both ways to Ames, often on a weeknight, to watch very sub-par basketball is just not a great use of my time.
I apologize assuming your situation.. That's obviously tough lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lyddea

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
-Poor coaching.
-Boring pregame and walkout.
-Turning the volume of the music down.
-same song rotation.
-Excessive ad/marketing.
-Closing off the walkway for the club.
-Putting Johnny’s statue inside members only club.
-weird lighting.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
-Poor coaching.
-Boring pregame and walkout.
-Turning the volume of the music down.
-same song rotation.
-Excessive ad/marketing.
-Closing off the walkway for the club.
-Putting Johnny’s statue inside members only club.
-weird lighting.
Walking from deep in the parking lot in cold weather on snow and ice.
Driving on snow and ice.
Option of staying home or going to a close by sports bar to watch the game on high def TV.
Balcony seats are not a good view.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I also have an hour to get to Hilton. Really thought about going with free tickets, but its just hard for me to do it knowing we have no chance and that ill get home after 11 on a weeknight. If we were just a little more competitive it would be an easier choice.

Help Support Us

Become a patron