INSTANT REACTION: No. 1 Baylor 67, Iowa State 53

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
It's kind of like me at the Y. When you look around and realize your team of 5 consists of yourself, a guy playing basketball in sweatpants, a former high school wrestler, a dude that's just there because all the treadmills are taken and a guy that yells "Kobe" every time he shoots, you just decide it's best if you just take the bulk of the shots.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
Lewis is at 33% this season which is way better than the high volume 22% Nixon is currently shooting or the 17% Gill is shooting. I'm not arguing for 30 minutes a game, but at least 5-10 to see if he can bring a spark to the offense like he did in Auburn. Not playing him with the rest of the pieces we have is just a huge head-scratcher to me.
Jackson is not exactly a great shooter either. He rarely makes a basket.

• Disagree
Reactions: ClonesFTW

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I like Bolton but I've noticed he has a tendency to drive when it's not there and just go right into the defense resulting in a TO. It kind of seems like he makes up his mind and just goes then looks to pass when it's too late.

I call that a wigginton.

Bolton is definitely leading the team in wiggintons.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
I cannot understand how anyone with any basketball knowledge would think Nixon and Jacobsen deserve the minutes they are getting let alone our head coach.

It’s apparent that Prohm is very knowledgeable about the game, no doubt. I think he can recruit. I don’t think he can “coach” the knowledge to the players. There’s a difference in knowing the game and teaching the game. The lack of game plan and execution is a problem. Last night they went to Jacobsen the first two possessions...strange plan.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've said it multiple times this year but there is no excuse for how bad this team is. None. I know there will be peaks and valleys, but two out of three years the valley is so low that I have zero expectations of them winning even a single game.

Yes, I know it happens. UNC sucks, etc. However, there is no excuse for it happening at a school that attempts to give a crap about basketball. Spring football is going to be a MUCH bigger story around here when that starts up.
I'm in agreement. I've been thinking about something the past couple of days.. You know how there are some games that can make / break a season? The ones that after the season you say, "man if we just would've won THAT game, things might've turned out differently". Right now, the Florida A&M game and the TCU game stick out for me. Think about it, with those wins, we'd currently be 11-9. The only losses we'd have, outside the Oregon State loss, would be against very good teams. We'd be thinking a bit differently about the season as a whole and would probably have aspirations of slipping into the tournament.

Now, that didn't happen and we did lose those two games and are now two games below .500. Those types of games though are ones that sometimes tend to be make or break games for coaches. 11-9, win 6 more games and you're on the bubble ya know? We'd play with more intensity and fire because there actually would be light at the end of the tunnel, whereas I feel like we're at the point in these games where when teams go on a run, we go "welp we suck and aren't going to make the tournament anyway, might as well just mail this one in". That's what's frustrating about this season. We have talent, but for whatever reason, be it coaching, or whatever, we haven't been able to put a competitive product onto the floor. But I guess the reality of it is that at the end of the day the blame is on the coach.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
This team just does not have patience and grit like we've had in the past. Once this team goes down by 10 points, they just panic and can't stay composed/patient. When Baylor made the run and hit the 10 point mark, instead of regrouping and play our game, we went on to panic mode which resulted in contested threes and ill-advised jumpers.

Good teams (like KU) never panic even if/when they are down by 8 to 10. They are always composed and chip away little by little. We did exactly that against Auburn and almost took them down. Just got to figure out to be patient and play OUR game, not on fly-by.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've said this before and I'll say it again. I think Prohm is a nice coach and has the recruiting ability to do well at this level, however he's going to have to make some sort of change. I don't know if that's coaching style, recruiting tactics, staff changes, etc. But, something is going to have to change or else he will be fired. I don't want him to be fired because then it feels like we're back to square one, but at the same time, Iowa State basketball is starting to lose it's reputation. No matter what the "excuses" or "justifications" are, Prohm is going to be the one that takes the blame for it, whether he deserves it or not.

What you are saying is that Prohm is a good recruiter, but is not a good a head coach.

I would agree.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It’s apparent that Prohm is very knowledgeable about the game, no doubt. I think he can recruit. I don’t think he can “coach” the knowledge to the players. There’s a difference in knowing the game and teaching the game. The lack of game plan and execution is a problem. Last night they went to Jacobsen the first two possessions...strange plan.

That was actually a good plan. They started with Vital guarding MJ, but we got them to switch to where the guard (#45) was guarding MJ. Realistically MJ should dominate that mismatch all day long.

I also liked the plan to not guard Vital unless he was in the paint. Vital is basically worthless on offense if he isn't in the paint area, so I liked that we didn't waste a defender guarding him when he was running around the perimeter.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No way Lewis is here next year is there? I think Steve is going to have 2-3 schollies to fill this spring. It will probably make or break him. He essentially will return Bolton and a handful of role players. Solo and George are serviceable, Foster should be nice in the mix but everyone else can be recruited over. He'll need 2 more big 12 caliber players in addition to hoping at least 2 of the frosh are ready right away. Hopefully Johnson can fill one of those roles.

The thing is, for next year to be successful, Prohm likely has to recruit over guys like Grill, Jackson and Griffin. I can see us bringing in a GT that takes away minutes from those guys and then we have another exodus where between graduation and the transfer portal, we are right back to this spot again in 2 years.

A JUCO wing that can shoot the 3 and guard at least two spots plus a scoring GT guard would be optimal imo.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like Bolton but I've noticed he has a tendency to drive when it's not there and just go right into the defense resulting in a TO. It kind of seems like he makes up his mind and just goes then looks to pass when it's too late.

Which was a tendency for many players last season. They won enough to get a 6 seed but the team was better when the ball was moving from player to player.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The worst feeling is that I don’t even remember the last time I was this apathetic towards this program. Even McDermott’s last team had exponentially more talent than this one.

The worst part is I can’t even look to next year as that’s shaping up to be worse than this one, unless we plan on relying on freshman and transfers. And that’s worked so well in Prohm’s tenure.

I wonder how we square that with Fred not having success with those guys.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That was actually a good plan. They started with Vital guarding MJ, but we got them to switch to where the guard (#45) was guarding MJ. Realistically MJ should dominate that mismatch all day long.

I also liked the plan to not guard Vital unless he was in the paint. Vital is basically worthless on offense if he isn't in the paint area, so I liked that we didn't waste a defender guarding him when he was running around the perimeter.

I think you mean theoretically the 6'8 (or whatever) guy should dominate the guard. MJs post offense isn't good and he doesn't play to his size. I don't need any post feeds on a regular basis for this team and really for any team. Post ups are inefficient offense.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think you mean theoretically the 6'8 (or whatever) guy should dominate the guard. MJs post offense isn't good and he doesn't play to his size. I don't need any post feeds on a regular basis for this team and really for any team. Post ups are inefficient offense.

I mean realistically and theoretically. I was just discussing with someone that MJ should be a more physical player but he tries to play a finesse game. He's got the body to bully people but despite people (his own family) trying to get him to play that way he doesn't. So realistically and theoretically with his size over the guy he should have dominated him.

• Informative
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
What I think all of us fans are concerned about is the fact that we're losing our national brand. Recruits have grown up watching ISU basketball on ESPN. They have heard and seen the force of Hilton Magic. Watched our up-tempo offense in which players are given a green light and the freedom to make plays. The opportunity to play for a 'player's coach' in one of the best conferences in college basketball.

Now losing in Hilton has become acceptable and expected. We don't have a free flowing, fun style of play. Our head coach has a passive-aggressive approach with his players and always seems to have someone in the doghouse. We don't make adjustments or have any sort of identity as a team. We are losing what makes us unique and Prohm needs to answer those tough questions. He knew the kind of program that he was taking over and we are watching it spoil right in front of our eyes.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

Those guys? Colvin, Gilstrap, Staiger, Dendy, Hamilton, and Brackins were all on the McD's last team, but not on Fred's first team. Garrett, Christopherson, and Palo were the only holdovers between staffs.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just don't agree with the statement that Prohm is a nice coach. That just isn't true. Two years ago I made a list of many of his shortcomings and they are still there. He is a mid major coach at best. Winning at the P5/6 level requires being able to identify things that give you an edge over your opponent. Right now most of the other coaches in the Big 12 are doing that to Prohm.

The offense we run this year (the same one as in the past) seems to be predicated on making 3 point shots which we can't but yet we haven't made any changes to it. We have struggled since Prohm got here in defending the pick and roll. We probably have done better this year but still not at a consistent level. Our in bounds play(s) on the offensive end is a joke. You might have missed it but with a couple of point lead in the Florida A&M game coming out of a time out with about 5 minutes to go in the game we had to call a timeout because we weren't able to inbounds the ball. That left us with 1 timeout for the rest of that game. I would have hoped coming out of the timeout we would have been running a play to try to score but instead we were running the same tired play we have been running all season and A&M was ready for it. I don't thing Prohm knows what 2 for 1 means and although I don't have the stats, I bet we score less than 25% of the time when we have the ball to end the first half because we do the same thing every time.

It is clear there is a lack of imagination with the coaching staff and definitely an inability to make changes on the fly. The same shortcomings that have been there from the beginning are still there. Prohm might be a high character guy but that doesn't necessarily translate into being a good coach.
I think Prohm is a good enough coach to get good talent to come play for him, but when the talent is lacking like this year's team, he's not a good enough coach to be able to take a below average team and have them play like an above average team.

I agree with everything you said above about him having shortcomings and him struggling in certain areas. I do also think that right now there are obviously pieces missing to this roster. We have no true shooters. None whatsoever. Our two best shooters are our primary ball handlers. When one of them has the ball, the other guy is being guarded tight enough where it's hard for them to get any sort of shot off. Opponents are sagging so far off Tre Jackson, Grill, Nixon, and Lewis it's hilariously disrespectful lol. You will live with one of those guys making one 3 pointer because that's most likely the only one they're going to make.

We also don't have any post play whatsoever on the offensive end. Conditt is not physical enough to go against those types of bigs, Solomon is a bit undersized, and Mike is not skilled enough, tall enough, fast enough or physical enough. We got abused last night on the inside on offense and defense.

So, what do we do? We can't shoot, our post play is below average, and our guards are too undersized to simply drive the basket every single time. And, even if we could drive to the basket, one of our "non shooting" guards will be left open to brick a 3. Idk, I don't have the answers to these questions, but neither does Prohm and that's the scary thing. This team is Prohm's. He brought in Nixon. He took a chance on Johnson who wouldn't see the court at all this year. He had two freshman bow out before the season started.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What you are saying is that Prohm is a good recruiter, but is not a good a head coach.

I would agree.
Yeah that's kind of my thoughts right now. I think Prohm has the ability to get guys here and when the talent falls into place, his guys are skilled enough to compete at a high level. When the talent lacks, he's not a good enough coach to figure out how to put the pieces together.

I don't hold much weight into losing a first round game last year. You can have the best coach / team in the world and not play well one game and lose. You could play good all year long but that one weekend in March you get beat. However, the great coaches are the ones that can take teams that don't have a ton of talent and get them into the tournament to potentially make a splash.

That's why I think Prohm needs help. He has to find someone to come in and help him out strategically or analytically. The fact of the matter is that if Prohm doesn't change his ways, he will not be here much longer.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011

You mean the 3 players that actually remained with the team for Fred's first year? Crazy that he didn't have success his first year with that type of continuity.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

The biggest problem to this was that we did a horrific job of finding Vital when the shot went up. He flew in for every offensive rebound and it was easy for him because no one was within 10 feet of him when he would go in for the rebound.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron