5G Phones

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I need to upgrade my 4-yr old iPhone. Is it beneficial to wait for the newer 5G rollout later this year, or are late model phones already 5G compatible?

PS: I live in Houston and there already is some 5G service. Also, I don't buy the latest release model as I prefer to buy either refurbished, or older model phones.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There arent that many older-model phones that have 5g. The first of the samsungs to roll out with 5G was like 6 months ago

I dont know that there's that much urgency for it quite yet. With the way you say you buy phones, id say wait a couple years and 5g will probably be in your next phone.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I don't think this phone can last another couple years. I'm looking at an unlocked iPhone XR for $600, but not sure if I will need to upgrade again when 5G rolls out.
Would you believe I asked this question at the Apple store a couple weeks ago and the Salesperson didn't know the answer ?#?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don’t get the fascination with 5g. No way am I paying 10/month for extra speed on a cell phone. Not once while using LTE have I had a video stutter and I’m not sure what would take more bandwidth than a video. What am I missing?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t get the fascination with 5g. No way am I paying 10/month for extra speed on a cell phone. Not once while using LTE have I had a video stutter and I’m not sure what would take more bandwidth than a video. What am I missing?

8K video on your 6" screen!

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008

Extra bandwidth is needed to send all of your personal data and a real time video stream of your face back to China 24/7 through the back door.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The first 5G iPhones won't be out until this fall, so if you are tied to Apple and aren't looking to buy the latest and greatest then you aren't going to get to 5G. That said, if you are happy with your 4G service then you really don't need it now. The advantages of 5G come with greater network capacity to handle the increase in devices and lower latency that could be critical for some machine to machine applications. For your average phone user there really isn't much need for it at this point.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It would be useful when I’m working off my phone as a hot spot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron