Salon/Barber Etiquette

DMCYFAN

Nov 27, 2006
I have been going to the same stylist for ~2 years. Several months ago, she left for maternity leave and I had 2 haircuts with a substitute at the same salon. The haircuts were drastically better. Their work-stations are adjacent, so it would be unavoidable to see the old stylist every time if I were to make the switch. Would it be poor form to make the switch? Any advice in dealing with this or am I stuck with average haircuts forever so I don't feel bad?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
the-switch.gif

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yeah, my current mani/pedi gal leaves a lot to be desired also. She's just not one to strike up a good conversation about anything ISU and also messes up my nail color. Wondering what my next move should be also. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We all have issues, debating on which gal should cut my hair is not an issue I would bring up on CF.

• Useful
Reactions: CloneFan4

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have been arguing with my wife for years over this. Her beautician retired and she goes to a new girl at the salon. New girl can't get her color right to save her soul. It is so bad that when she does a box color it looks better than the salon color but she is afraid to quit going there. I can't get my head around it because she is paying about 7 times what I pay for a cut at the barber and she is never happy with it. I am about ready to get her a Flowbee.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Why would want to deal with pissed off women? There’s enough situations in this world that cause these kinds of estrogen laden encounters to occur. This one seems avoidable and no reason not to take the out.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Definitely will be awkward but I'd make the switch if I were you.

Here's what you do:
Right before you walk in for your haircut, call the salon and ask if [previous stylist] has openings on X date. What you're trying to find out is when this stylist does not have openings.
After your haircut, when they are booking your next appointment, ask for times when you know the previous stylist isn't available. After trying a few different times say, "Ok well I'll just book with you [new, better stylist] again".
Try to do this loud enough so the previous stylist hears you.

Do this a couple times and you should be in the clear.

Reactions: DMCYFAN

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I have been going to the same stylist for ~2 years. Several months ago, she left for maternity leave and I had 2 haircuts with a substitute at the same salon. The haircuts were drastically better. Their work-stations are adjacent, so it would be unavoidable to see the old stylist every time if I were to make the switch. Would it be poor form to make the switch? Any advice in dealing with this or am I stuck with average haircuts forever so I don't feel bad?
Two years isn't that long. I'd make the switch and play it like you don't want to make the new stylist mad by leaving her.

At any rate, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
My girlfriend is a hairstylist and told me this happens all the time. I wouldn’t worry much about it but at least mention it to them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron