Home Builders in the Des Moines Metro

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If I could do it again I'd build with Tyler homes.

That said I also would never build another house.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I've been following Dreamscape Homebuilders on social media and they build some awesome looking homes. I have no firsthand experience with them, though. I'd be curious to hear from anyone here that has used them. I assume their prices will most likely be outside of our comfort zone.
Dreamscape has been around for almost 9 years now. They won the homeshow in our hood when they first started out. They do build some fancy homes now (Echo Valley) but might be worth a call to them just to see. Disclaimer - we used one of the owners as our Realtor years ago.

Reactions: ianoconnor

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Most builders pull from the same relatively small pool of subs in each trade. A crew can frame a $200,000 starter home one month and a $600,000 home the next. That’s the problem and you need a home builder who will work with you and not get pissy when you identify problems. A builder who doesn’t just disappear after the warranty is up.

Did some sub burn you on new siding on your doublewide?

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
We have a Stephen Grubb house (its on the tyvek) and I would agree on the B/B+.
Grubb’s are a great family. Good friends with Ricky. My wife and I are in the beginning stages of moving back to the metro area, and am very much looking forward to to using Grubb as our general.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
I've been following Dreamscape Homebuilders on social media and they build some awesome looking homes. I have no firsthand experience with them, though. I'd be curious to hear from anyone here that has used them. I assume their prices will most likely be outside of our comfort zone.

That's who built our new place.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Stay away from Tyler and k&k homes from personal experience. Consider Dreamscape homes and Affinity Homes. Seen and heard great things about the last two.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
of these home builders mentioned does anyone know how far out of the metro area they will build?

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I've heard horror stories from people who bought Jerry's homes, but that was 10+ years ago so they may have improved since then.

As far as Ankeny goes, Kimberley seems to win a lot of awards, but I don't know if I've heard good things from anyone who's lived in one of their houses. We had a short interaction with them as well and that wasn't exactly a positive experience either.

To mirror the comments about people not wanting to build again, I think regardless of your builder you need to stay on top of the process: there's a lot of moving parts and it seems like most builders are not super organized; some of the details will fall through the cracks. As long as your builder isn't someone who's difficult to get a hold of (and they have positive reviews somewhere), you should be fine.

RMB4Cy

Dec 20, 2013
I would stay as far away as you can from Hubbell Homes. They are just a large production builder that only cares about getting money, not the customer.
I would recommend Happe Homes, they are Ankeny based and did a great job with our custom build.