Twister Sister Summary - sorry folks...

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I have to admit I didn't watch the game last night. My band was rehearsing getting ready for a gig. But it went about like i thought it would. Baylor focused on Joens and while she didn't score as much she still worked hard and got some things done. Still like how Thurmon is evolving. The biggest downside that I can see is the atrocious free throw shooting. That was just bizarre.

Final note...Baylor is #1 for a reason. They are loaded for bear (pun intended) and are freaking good. The best part? We only play them one more time.

I'll leave you all with a question. This pertains to other conferences as well. Is it a good thing to have one team dominate a league the way Baylor and UConn do? The first 15 years of Fennelly's career here saw several teams battle for conference titles. It was engaging and interesting. But now...its all a battle for second place. What do you think?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I'll leave you all with a question. This pertains to other conferences as well. Is it a good thing to have one team dominate a league the way Baylor and UConn do? The first 15 years of Fennelly's career here saw several teams battle for conference titles. It was engaging and interesting. But now...its all a battle for second place. What do you think?
I was thinking this when we were watching last night. I think it's kind of terrible. It's not even close to being as interesting when you already "know" who is going to win the title. The Big 12 was SO fun before we lost four universities to other leagues and when Baylor wasn't as dominant. Arenas barely have any fans compared to when the league was at its peak, even ISU. I enjoy watching the women's final four when UCONN isn't involved at all. For a person who watches little wbb, maybe that's more fun (UCONN winning the title frequently) because that's all you know. But for an actual fan, I just don't feel like there is any benefit to having everyone else automatically play for second place.

Last edited:

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
My opinion, it is not good at all for one team to dominate. I don't blame Baylor though, it is everyone else's job to get better. One thing I've always wondered, is it that fun for players on those teams to crush their oponents every game? I would think that a challenge would be more rewarding. This has been a long standing problem in WBB, the teams change a little bit over time, but it is always just 3 or 4 teams that are elite any given year. I just don't think the high school talent pool is anywhere near as deep as the men's.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
My opinion, it is not good at all for one team to dominate. I don't blame Baylor though, it is everyone else's job to get better. One thing I've always wondered, is it that fun for players on those teams to crush their oponents every game? I would think that a challenge would be more rewarding. This has been a long standing problem in WBB, the teams change a little bit over time, but it is always just 3 or 4 teams that are elite any given year. I just don't think the high school talent pool is anywhere near as deep as the men's.

In addition to that no one leaves early for the pros and the 15 scholarships compared to 13 and there is a much smaller distribution of top talent.

Last edited:

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
The women’s game is a big meh for me due to the dominance of a couple of teams.
That, plus the difference in speed. The men’s game is just that much more fun to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
In addition to that none leaves early for the pros and the 15 scholarships compared to 13 and there is a much smaller distribution of top talent.

The pro issue has done a great job of leveling things in MBB. The best talent often doesn't bring the best value because they might end up one-and-done. In WBB, barring transfer, you can usually expect that top player to spend four years on the team. That makes it MUCH easier to keep a good thing going.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Great points being shared. While UConn has been a top 10 staple for some time, the teams used to cycle in and out of the top10 15-20 years ago. I think there is more talent available now as the women’s game has developed. BUT the blue bloods continue to get the pick of the litter. It’s interesting that Baylor came from nowhere to dominance. My conspiracy theory buzzer always wonders what they do since they don’t have to report data like public universities do.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The pro issue has done a great job of leveling things in MBB. The best talent often doesn't bring the best value because they might end up one-and-done. In WBB, barring transfer, you can usually expect that top player to spend four years on the team. That makes it MUCH easier to keep a good thing going.

It is interesting to me to see the dynamic of elite players not always going pro at play. You can create some pretty serious dynasties when you have the majority of your best players stay for 4 years.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
It is interesting to me to see the dynamic of elite players not always going pro at play. You can create some pretty serious dynasties when you have the majority of your best players stay for 4 years.

The WNBA collective bargaining agreement prohibits players entering the WNBA or the draft prior to four years after their high school graduation (there are other rules in there but that simplifies it). That is the main reason that players do not leave college early. There is money available overseas but not typically to the degree that is worth giving up their college careers.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The WNBA collective bargaining agreement prohibits players entering the WNBA or the draft prior to four years after their high school graduation (there are other rules in there but that simplifies it). That is the main reason that players do not leave college early. There is money available overseas but not typically to the degree that is worth giving up their college careers.

I did not realize that. All I was basing this on was Ionescu from Oregon announcing her return for her senior year and I figured that meant going pro was an option.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I have to admit I didn't watch the game last night. My band was rehearsing getting ready for a gig. But it went about like i thought it would. Baylor focused on Joens and while she didn't score as much she still worked hard and got some things done. Still like how Thurmon is evolving. The biggest downside that I can see is the atrocious free throw shooting. That was just bizarre.

Final note...Baylor is #1 for a reason. They are loaded for bear (pun intended) and are freaking good. The best part? We only play them one more time.

F no. It's terrible for creating interest.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The more UConn won during their most recent big run, the lower their home attendance got. Fans apparently weren't interested in spending money to watch 30- and 40-point blowouts every night.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The more UConn won during their most recent big run, the lower their home attendance got. Fans apparently weren't interested in spending money to watch 30- and 40-point blowouts every night.

I'd believe that but don't think it is the money. WBB tickets are cheap, it's more the time and the been there seen that thing plus the ever increasing availability to watch from home. They are sort of the opposite of most other elites in that their NC games are better than their conferences games. Can't really blame them for their conference. The interesting games are when, like this year, they take on a Baylor or a Notre Dame or a Tennessee (back to playing again).

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I did not realize that. All I was basing this on was Ionescu from Oregon announcing her return for her senior year and I figured that meant going pro was an option.
If you are less than four years removed from high school, you can still enter the draft if you turn 22 in the year the draft is held. That made Ionescu eligible.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you are less than four years removed from high school, you can still enter the draft if you turn 22 in the year the draft is held. That made Ionescu eligible.

Plus not a lot of gals would be clammering to leave early anyway. That chance to make $40K-50K for a couple of years and than not have their college degree? Although Ionescu will make more that that, most don't.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron