More Difficult: Softball or Baseball

Softball or Baseball

• Total voters

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What town team did you play with?

Town team from Appanoose Co, fastpitch softball was really popular during the 70's and early 80's. Lots of talented players, just like in high school some pitchers were horrible, but some of those could make a hitter look like a fool.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Baseball. Just the idea of being hit by a baseball while batting or a softball makes the argument moot. As an umpire for both, there is a #### of a lot of difference.

• Agree
Reactions: wonkadog

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Check out the myriad of YouTube videos documenting the humiliation of many baseball players' attempts to hit a fastpitch softball, and I think you'll find your answer.

Paging @harimad for input on this thread.
I've read that hitting is much more difficult in fastpitch softball than baseball. With the lower release point, it takes longer to pick up the ball. So the 0.15s or whatever it is that MLB players have to find the ball is now like 0.12s which is enough to make a huge difference.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Played baseball in high school and fast pitch softball as a young adult. Voted softball.

As a hitter, the reaction time is no different. In some cases, a softball gets there faster when you consider the distance, and a softball can move on all planes, including up. There is no such thing as a rise ball in baseball. Physically impossible.

With that added level of variance, a softball, IMO, is much harder to hit.

Not many of these around, but submarine pitchers can have a ball rise.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
It's been said the hardest thing to do in ALL sports is to hit major league pitching. Just saying..

Reactions: Doc

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, in softball its more of a snap, short and sweet. Baseball you start your swing further back. Softball has changed a lot once they moved the pitcher back 5 years ago or so.

Daughter has a full load and swing. She starts the load in the windup and will be starting to pull her hands through before she decides to finish or not. It’s just the closeness requires you to initiate things sooner and use more check swings.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It an interesting question and my guess is softball is easier mainly due to ball size.

That said, growing up in eastern Iowa in the 70's I watched a lot of elite level men's fastpitch softball and it's a bear to hit an elite pitcher because the ball is on the hitter faster.

Corner infielders have to have super reflexes because the ball is on them in a flash- especially since they play in at 3rd to prevent bunt.

It was a fun game to watch- disappointed popularity has waned.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
In the 70's some of the better Eastern Iowa teams brought in pitchers from Australia. That way they could pitch year round. A top pitcher typically gave up 3-5 hits a game. Very much a "small ball" approach to winning games.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Did you all have to shorten your baseball swings to hit fast pitch softball pitching?

Fastpitch softball hitting mechanics are no different than baseball mechanics. Technically, you have a little less time to react to SB pitches than BB pitches. Otherwise, not much difference.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I've played both. It's generally considered that hitting a pitched baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. If you succeed 1 time out of three, you're a superstar.

Now.....if you're talking fast-pitch softball, it may be comparable. The best fast-pitch pitchers regularly throw at Nolan Ryan speeds, exceeding 100MPH. And then a change-up can make a batter look pretty foolish.

But if you're talking the comparison between baseball and slow-pitch softball, well..... there really is none. Slow-pitch is basically a hitters' exhibition. Especially with the bats nowadays.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've played both. It's generally considered that hitting a pitched baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. If you succeed 1 time out of three, you're a superstar.

Now.....if you're talking fast-pitch softball, it may be comparable. The best fast-pitch pitchers regularly throw at Nolan Ryan speeds, exceeding 100MPH. And then a change-up can make a batter look pretty foolish.

But if you're talking the comparison between baseball and slow-pitch softball, well..... there really is none. Slow-pitch is basically a hitters' exhibition. Especially with the bats nowadays.

Top softball pitchers throw about 70 mph. They say it equates to 100 mph due to the shorter distance that it needs to cover.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
In high school I saw The King and His Court (Eddie Feigner and 3 others) play an exhibition softball game at Harlan Rogers park. He struck out 20 of the 21 batters he faced, one batter managed a weak pop-up at the plate which the catcher caught. Eddie played with a catcher, shortstop, and first baseman. The reason for the two infielders was that they needed at least 4 batters in case the bases were loaded.

Eddie pitched from the mound, from second base, between his legs, behind his back, and blindfolded. According to Wikipedia:

How fast did Eddie Feigner throw?
At his peak, Mr. Feigner threw a softball harder than any major league pitcher has ever thrown a baseball. His underhand fastball was once timed at 104 mph -- or, according to some accounts, 114 mph. The fastest documented pitch ever thrown by a major league pitcher is 103 mph.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Top softball pitchers throw about 70 mph. They say it equates to 100 mph due to the shorter distance that it needs to cover.
The open major pitchers go higher than 70. And with ISC rules the last few decades allowing the "crow" hop........some of these guys are 40 feet or less from the plate when they release. Good luck! I have never faced a major league pitcher.....but I have a few of the said above in softball. To say it's a challenge is a huge understatement. We used to call what they are throwing "aspirins" because that's what it looked like hissing to the plate.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I always felt softball was harder. The ball just doesn't seem to fly true in the air. With a hardball as soon as it left the bat you could pretty much track right where it would go.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Both are extremely difficult. Softball might even be more dangerous because of the distances involved.

I don't think you can honestly compare the two sports and decide which one is "more difficult." They're too different.

Played high school baseball and faced pitchers who were drafted fairly high. Played college baseball and same thing. (none of those high school pitchers made it to the big leagues either.)

Yes, I also played in a fast pitch softball league for one season. I disagree. Ever face a a major league level pitcher who throws in the mid 90's with 4 or 5 different high level pitches? Even if you hit the **** out of it, more than likely an outfielder/infielder will track it down and get you out. If you get ahold a of a softball..see ya. Hitting a really good softball pitcher ain't easy, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather do that than face someone like Aroldis Chapman or Nolan Ryan.
Doesn't really seem fair to compare the average softball pitcher to Aroldis Chapman and Nolan Ryan. If you're going to do that then lets see you step in the box against Monica Abbott, Cat Osterman or Jennie Finch.
And I'd love to see Crystl Bustos take a few swings against your mid 90s pitcher.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Both are extremely difficult. Softball might even be more dangerous because of the distances involved.

I don't think you can honestly compare the two sports and decide which one is "more difficult." They're too different.

Doesn't really seem fair to compare the average softball pitcher to Aroldis Chapman and Nolan Ryan. If you're going to do that then lets see you step in the box against Monica Abbott, Cat Osterman or Jennie Finch.
And I'd love to see Crystl Bustos take a few swings against your mid 90s pitcher.

Agree totally with you, they are different sports and trying to put one player in to take a couple reps when they aren't used to that situation is setting them up to fail.

When I said baseball I was going off how hard it is to have a winning team. In softball, if you have a dominant pitcher you have a game in and game out pitcher who can take you a long ways. In baseball, that pitcher can throw two, maybe three games a week. If you have a tournament where you have multiple games or consecutive days, you need that stable of pitchers for baseball.

If we go strictly off batting, I would say it is fairly similar.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My dad played a skoosh of college baseball and then a lot of fast pitch softball in his 20s. After that he played competitive slow-pitch (state and national champion level success) until he was in his 50s. He was always the best power hitter on the team, despite being old enough to be the dad of most of the other players. He also coached HS girls softball for 10-15 years.

Anyway, he has opined on this topic in the past and I think the above qualifies him to have an educated opinion.

He would say fast pitch softball is actually harder to play.

The pitcher can spin the ball more and easier, and can throw faster because of the more natural motion (there is a reason a hs girl can throw 10,000 innings a month and not have her arm fly off into the 3rd row). The batter is closer to the pitcher and you have even less reaction time. As hard as hitting a baseball consistently is, softball is harder.

Take for what it's worth...

As an aside, I went to ISU with a gal who was all-state in softball, burly girl who was a great hitter. She could NOT hit a slow pitch softball to save her life. The timing was so different, she just couldn't figure it out.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
As an aside, I went to ISU with a gal who was all-state in softball, burly girl who was a great hitter. She could NOT hit a slow pitch softball to save her life. The timing was so different, she just couldn't figure it out.

This is so comical yet so true. I've seen huge mismatches at softball tournaments, teams matched up against each other that have no business playing. The underdog team throws its girl that can't even hit 50 mph, and the other team's hitters can't touch it for a few innings. Eventually they figure it out. But it's hard to slow down that much when you're used to mid 60s every game.