Hy-Vee Dollar Fresh

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
yes. I get those two confused a lot for some reason. I am very directionally challenge. Never ask me for directions, and don't ever "follow me" if we are going somewhere.

Are you talking about the Casey’s across from Pizza Ranch? If so I’ve gotten pizza there and I just drove by and it looks like they still have Pizza

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I know people that love this in eastern Iowa love this. I tried going into the Ankeny nuts and it was busy as f so I left, but they looked to have an amazing selection. Can they really compare on price when it comes to commodities like eggs, milk, and cheese?

Kwik Trip/Kwik Star can more than compete on those. They are a crazy company...They have nearly total 'vertical integration' on the "Hey honey, can you get some on the way home..." items. they have their own dairy and bakery, make their own pre-made items, and they buy the not quite perfect specs eggs and bananas and sell them super cheap or at a loss as 'loss leader'. They also control their distribution shipping/trucking and expand along existing supply routes. It is cut-throat out there!! They are very interesting:

https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-news/kwik-trip-launches-300-million-capital-investment-project
A vertically integrated company, Kwik Trip operates its own bakery, dairy, water bottling line, kitchens, food-safety lab, distribution center, ice plant, LP plant, blow mold facility, transportation company and health clinic. The company makes, ships and sells 80% of its own branded products.

https://lacrossetribune.com/busines...cle_f15838ae-4324-11e3-b56b-0019bb2963f4.html
The 360,000-square-foot distribution center, with its 240 employees, is the hub that delivers 6,300 products to Kwik Trips in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa as far out as 245 miles.
“Everything we deliver, we’re out and back the same day,” Clarkin said.
“We delivered 1.2 million dozen eggs during a two-week promotion last spring,” he said. “We have the understanding that people are going to go to the grocery store once a week, but we want to be that middle stop and continue to grow that role.”

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I hate Hy-Vee because it’s too damn expensive. Here is an example, an 8 pack of Gatorade at my Hy-Vee is $7. The Walmart has the same exact product for less than $5. Only people that have too much money shop there. Fareway, Walmart, and Aldi are cheaper. And I have heard these scaled down versions are not liked by people in their towns because of a lack of options
But then you have to shop at Walmart. I can’t even get out of the parking lot and into the store before I want to hurt someone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
When I saw the headline on KCCI, I was hoping that Bloomfield was one of the towns that would be getting one of the fresh market Hy Vee's. They closed our ShopKo this summer, and we currently only have one local grocery store, and it sold last month to the DeVries brothers. I guess they own 11 grocery stores in small towns, under the name of Brothers Groceries.

Hy Vee did switch over the Hy Vee's in Centerville and Corydon to their fresh market stores, in the one in Centerville they took out the deli and bakery. All baked good are trucked in from Chariton, and put a Starbucks where the deli was. They still have a few deli items, and kept the fresh meat counter. They did enlarge the liquor section quite a bit. I have heard that is their plan for all the stores in small town Iowa. Not sure if they have down the same to their stores in Leon, Lamoni or Unionville. But I would think they are all going that way.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
When I saw the headline on KCCI, I was hoping that Bloomfield was one of the towns that would be getting one of the fresh market Hy Vee's. They closed our ShopKo this summer, and we currently only have one local grocery store, and it sold last month to the DeVries brothers. I guess they own 11 grocery stores in small towns, under the name of Brothers Groceries.

Hy Vee did switch over the Hy Vee's in Centerville and Corydon to their fresh market stores, in the one in Centerville they took out the deli and bakery. All baked good are trucked in from Chariton, and put a Starbucks where the deli was. They still have a few deli items, and kept the fresh meat counter. They did enlarge the liquor section quite a bit. I have heard that is their plan for all the stores in small town Iowa. Not sure if they have down the same to their stores in Leon, Lamoni or Unionville. But I would think they are all going that way.

A Starbucks in Corydon is unbelievable to me in any context. I used to always find a reason to stop at that one and the one in Leon any chance I got. It was like stepping back in time.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I mean it sounds ridiculous to have the Starbucks but I'm assuming they did their homework on profit off of it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
A Starbucks in Corydon is unbelievable to me in any context. I used to always find a reason to stop at that one and the one in Leon any chance I got. It was like stepping back in time.

I am not sure they have one in Corydon, but they do in Centerville and its always packed, when I stop by to pick up a few things on my way home.

The moved the Corydon store a few years ago to the old Places store on the square, their old store is now a funeral home.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Are you talking about the Casey’s across from Pizza Ranch? If so I’ve gotten pizza there and I just drove by and it looks like they still have Pizza

I think the poster might be referring to slices of pizza available. Yeah, they are supposed to be available but never are. Either the slices sell REAL fast or they don't really put any in their pizza warmer spinny thing. (Technical term, trust me. :))

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Dont knock the market grills. Not the top restaurant in town but always good to take our young kids. A great spot for a weekend breakfast with the fam, then take care of the groceries.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
But then you have to shop at Walmart. I can’t even get out of the parking lot and into the store before I want to hurt someone
Walmarts online ordering is a game changer. We were some of the first people to jump on Hy-Vee's Aisles online program but then they change their ordering requirements and increased their charges. I'm pretty anti Walmart but the weekly saving is ridiculous. We still hit Hy-Vee for certain things and Fareway or Costco for meat but my days of shopping a full grocery list at Hy-Vee are done.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl and cyfanatic

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Dont knock the market grills. Not the top restaurant in town but always good to take our young kids. A great spot for a weekend breakfast with the fam, then take care of the groceries.

We loved the Sunday Brunch where they had the breakfast foods and you could have free reign of the Chinese, Pizza, Fried Chicken, etc. It had something for everyone.

They got rid of that a year or so ago, I think.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I didn't read every page of the thread, so sorry if I'm talking out of turn, but I saw the first comment. The Casey's on Merle Hay, across from Popeye's, Chick Fil A, etc doesn't offer pizza. They bought this location from another convenience chain (I forget the name...but it is completely gone now form the metro ) and have never added a pizza kitchen.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

I actually emailed a link to this story to our Main Street President in Bloomfield hoping he would make some calls and see if Hy-Vee would be interested. One of these would be a god send. Brothers is outrageously high in prices.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I didn't read every page of the thread, so sorry if I'm talking out of turn, but I saw the first comment. The Casey's on Merle Hay, across from Popeye's, Chick Fil A, etc doesn't offer pizza. They bought this location from another convenience chain (I forget the name...but it is completely gone now form the metro ) and have never added a pizza kitchen.
That must be it. They originally said Merle Hay but then someone asked if they meant 86th and they said yes. I’ve never been over to that one. I can’t remember what it used to be either.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Are the Market Grille's a strength? That's kind of a sub-brand right?
IMO HyVee swung and missed on those.
I used to occasionally go to the Edgewood / Hwy 100 HyVee in Cedar Rapids for breakfast. When they switched to the Market Grille format, that came to an end. Sometimes you want to go to a place and be waited on and sometimes you don't. Those times I do, I prefer other restaurants over the Market Grille.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I used to occasionally go to the Edgewood / Hwy 100 HyVee in Cedar Rapids for breakfast. When they switched to the Market Grille format, that came to an end. Sometimes you want to go to a place and be waited on and sometimes you don't. Those times I do, I prefer other restaurants over the Market Grille.

The Market Grille is a failed concept. I think they all have either closed or will soon. I know the one in the downtown Hy-Vee is going to be a Wahlburgers soon.