Kobe Bryant is dead

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
So from this it looks like as the pilot was following the 101 freeway as it rose through the pass he eventually realized he couldn't make it and proceeded to gain altitude to avoid terrain and started a turn to get out of the weather. It seems at this point he became disorientated in the clouds and banked too sharply and basically dropped the helicopter.

This was pretty well done. One correction is he said special VFR (Visual Flight Rules) allowed a helicopter to transition with less than1 mile of visibility. It is down to 1 mile visibility clear of clouds, normal VFR is 3 miles and 500 feet clear of any cloud. VFR is visual flight rules where the pilot is responsible for not only not hitting other aircraft, but not hitting terrain. ATC has zero terrain clearance responsibility for special or normal VFR and it is up to the pilot to determine the weather conditions. You have to ask for special VFR because you are then allowed to mix in with IFR traffic in conditions that would not allow you to stay clear of other aircraft. ATC granting special VFR only acknowledges that they are under a workload that allows them to clear the aircraft of other Instrument traffic. It does not give the pilot any kind of permission to enter bad weather. I initially thought they probably clipped something and severely damaged the tail rotor resulting in a rapid spin. A helicopter that loses a rotor needs to immediately autorotate or maintain a speed of a least around 80kts to weathervane to counter the rotation. Impossible in those conditions. That was assuming the crash video was real. Since it wasn't, that may have happened, or the pilot may have become disoriented when losing all visual cues. Ultimately this was a bad decision by the pilot to fly into fog visually, something he had probably gotten away with safely hundreds of times before. To believe there was a mechanical failure at the same time the weather was this bad is one in a million.

• Informative
Reactions: 9104Griffith

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
TNT is doing a pregame at Staples about Kobe. Im only a few minutes in, but man, I think there are onions in the house.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I guess I don't see Kobe's issue in Colorado as being lumped into the category of "we all make mistakes, and he learned from his and is better for it."

Considering he was on trial for rape, nearly tore apart his family (daughter of a few months old at the time), had to settle a civil suit, lost massive endorsements and suffered terrible humiliation. Honestly, if that doesn't scare somebody straight, they are a sociopath.

The only thing that bugs me is that it seems like every celebrity acquaintance and friend that's all over the media seems hell bent on banging the drum of Kobe was first and foremost a great husband and father.

Strange of people to be focusing on the more positive things when someone dies. How very, very strange.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I don't necessarily agree with the folks saying he is not a good guy, but your comparison is kind of ridiculous. There's an ocean of difference between Carson King's past tweets and Kobe's Colorado incident.

Poor jokes said as a youth shouldn't dog you for your whole life.

Sexual Assault?... It's in a completely different league.
I understand there is a huge difference, but there is also a huge difference in being accused versus being guilty. Kobe was never found guilty of anything in the situation yet instead of celebrating his life, people act like he was found guilty of the crime.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I understand there is a huge difference, but there is also a huge difference in being accused versus being guilty. Kobe was never found guilty of anything in the situation yet instead of celebrating his life, people act like he was found guilty of the crime.
This is not nearly as exonerating as it sounds, but a topic for a different thread.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's a lot more complicated than just "He was never found guilty."
Regardless, we can debate all day about the cleanliness of Kobe's soul, and not come to consensus. I'm not trying to say he was a good guy or a terrible one. I think Kobe existed in shades of grey, like every other person who has walked the earth. That's what it means to be human, I think. It's every bit as valid to discuss his sexual assault accusation as it is to discuss his philanthropy, because all of it is his story.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
TNT is doing a pregame at Staples about Kobe. Im only a few minutes in, but man, I think there are onions in the house.
Jerry West has always looked like a million bucks but this is taking a TOLL on him. He has a lot of pain on his face, a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDude16 and cmjh10

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I guess I don't see Kobe's issue in Colorado as being lumped into the category of "we all make mistakes, and he learned from his and is better for it."

Considering he was on trial for rape, nearly tore apart his family (daughter of a few months old at the time), had to settle a civil suit, lost massive endorsements and suffered terrible humiliation. Honestly, if that doesn't scare somebody straight, they are a sociopath.

The only thing that bugs me is that it seems like every celebrity acquaintance and friend that's all over the media seems hell bent on banging the drum of Kobe was first and foremost a great husband and father.
Is there anything wrong with focusing on the man he became vs the man he was 15 years ago.

You will see and hear of many things he did for children and others in the coming days

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Ellen's show Monday was pretaped. Today was the first show since the weekend. She mentioned that Sunday was her birthday.

Help Support Us

Become a patron