More Difficult: Softball or Baseball

Softball or Baseball

• Total voters

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The hitting difference is really pretty simple to understand.

Baseball players are using predictive indexing of a baseball as it comes to the plate.

Softball players are actually seeing the ball all the way into the plate.

This is simply based on the speed of the ball and distance.

I read a great book on the topic. It isn't that one is harder than the other the training for both sports is so different in terms of the brain is processing and hitting the respective ball.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The hitting difference is really pretty simple to understand.

Baseball players are using predictive indexing of a baseball as it comes to the plate.

Softball players are actually seeing the ball all the way into the plate.

This is simply based on the speed of the ball and distance.

I read a great book on the topic. It isn't that one is harder than the other the training for both sports is so different in terms of the brain is processing and hitting the respective ball.

This seems counterintuitive. Based on distance of release from home plate and typical speeds, a softball batter has roughly 20% less time to react:
https://blog.leagueapps.com/sports-science-behind-hitting-softball-versus-baseball/

However, I'd say there is greater ability to vary speeds and movement with baseball, making it quite a bit harder.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Check out the myriad of YouTube videos documenting the humiliation of many baseball players' attempts to hit a fastpitch softball, and I think you'll find your answer.

Paging @harimad for input on this thread.
Hitting a baseball is muscle memory. Hitting a softball is different muscle memory. Give Tony Gwynn 3 months of softball training he hits .800

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Played baseball in high school and fast pitch softball as a young adult. Voted softball.

As a hitter, the reaction time is no different. In some cases, a softball gets there faster when you consider the distance, and a softball can move on all planes, including up. There is no such thing as a rise ball in baseball. Physically impossible.

With that added level of variance, a softball, IMO, is much harder to hit.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Played baseball in high school and fast pitch softball as a young adult. Voted softball.

As a hitter, the reaction time is no different. In some cases, a softball gets there faster when you consider the distance, and a softball can move on all planes, including up. There is no such thing as a rise ball in baseball. Physically impossible.

I don't think softball rise balls technically rise either, but could be wrong.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Sure looks like they do :D

Those things are brutal when thrown right. You face a pitcher who can throw a good fastball, drop and rise ball...good luck.

Oh, I believe it. Would like to stand in versus a really good pitcher. I think their rise balls just don't drop at the same rate as the others. You'll often see a baseball pitcher with a high spin rate described as having a riding or hopping fastball even though it isn't actually rising.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Same boat as you, played baseball all through high school, and then played fast pitch softball a few years on the local town team.
Softball was a lot harder to hit when the pitcher was as close as they were at the time. The game then was totally dominated by the pitcher, when they moved the distance back a few years ago in high school, it made a whale of a difference on the batter. Those 3 feet allowed the hitter a split second more reaction time, and instead of 15/16 strike outs a game, they dropped to 10/12.

Any great hitter would adjust to either game, but the average player, softball as 45 feet was more difficult at least for me.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Same boat as you, played baseball all through high school, and then played fast pitch softball a few years on the local town team.
Softball was a lot harder to hit when the pitcher was as close as they were at the time. The game then was totally dominated by the pitcher, when they moved the distance back a few years ago in high school, it made a whale of a difference on the batter. Those 3 feet allowed the hitter a split second more reaction time, and instead of 15/16 strike outs a game, they dropped to 10/12.

Any great hitter would adjust to either game, but the average player, softball as 45 feet was more difficult at least for me.

You guys make this too easy sometimes.

View attachment 69917

Did you all have to shorten your baseball swings to hit fast pitch softball pitching?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
It is baseball and it isn’t really close. Softball takes skill, don’t get me wrong, but it’s almost all based on how fast someone is. Baseball requires a lot more talent and you can’t rely on one thing to bail you out.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Did you all have to shorten your baseball swings to hit fast pitch softball pitching?

Yes, in softball its more of a snap, short and sweet. Baseball you start your swing further back. Softball has changed a lot once they moved the pitcher back 5 years ago or so.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK and Doc

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Played high school baseball and faced pitchers who were drafted fairly high. Played college baseball and same thing. (none of those high school pitchers made it to the big leagues either.)

Yes, I also played in a fast pitch softball league for one season. I disagree. Ever face a a major league level pitcher who throws in the mid 90's with 4 or 5 different high level pitches? Even if you hit the **** out of it, more than likely an outfielder/infielder will track it down and get you out. If you get ahold a of a softball..see ya. Hitting a really good softball pitcher ain't easy, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather do that than face someone like Aroldis Chapman or Nolan Ryan.

• Agree
Reactions: clonerules

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Played high school baseball and faced pitchers who were drafted fairly high. Played college baseball and same thing. (none of those high school pitchers made it to the big leagues either.)

Yes, I also played in a fast pitch softball league for one season. I disagree. Ever face a a major league level pitcher who throws in the mid 90's with 4 or 5 different high level pitches? Even if you hit the **** out of it, more than likely an outfielder/infielder will track it down and get you out. If you get ahold a of a softball..see ya. Hitting a really good softball pitcher ain't easy, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather do that than face someone like Aroldis Chapman or Nolan Ryan.

Some open major softball pitchers can make one look just as foolish as either of those baseball pitchers. There is an older video of some LA Dodgers trying to hit Ty Stofflet. Funny stuff.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Some open major softball pitchers can make one look just as foolish as either of those baseball pitchers. There is an older video of some LA Dodgers trying to hit Ty Stofflet. Funny stuff.

We used to play in tournaments against these teams from Canada back in the day. They would have these dudes come out there to throw. Dudes were gigantic (not fat) and had forearms like Popeye. Was like trying to hit a 100 mph wiffle ball.

I’m sure it’s all about perspective though. I had the opportunity to see/face some of the better fastpitch softball pitchers in the world (not hyperbole). I never got that chance with baseball. I saw some good pitching...a couple of guys who did have a cup of tea (and more in one case) at the highest level, but I didn’t see them when they were at that level.

I did have a buddy who was an “OK” catcher help out with the Iowa Cubs a couple of summers after high school. He had the opportunity to “catch” Kerry Wood in some bullpen sessions. The world catch is parenthesized because he said he could barely catch anything that Wood threw. Said the movement on his pitches was so insane he just couldn’t get himself to believe he needed to put his glove where the ball would end up.

Fact is...most on this board are mere mortals (I would venture to guess). People at the MLB level, though, are barely human. I can’t argue with the person who said above “give Tony Gwynn time to see some softball, and he’d hit .800”. He very well may, but that isn’t a normal human being you’re taking about either :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron